Backup Camera Hitch install on 10' Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Backup Camera Hitch install on 10' Explorer

jmarreroi

Reaction score
City, State
Puerto Rico
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 XLT
Hi Guys:
I just bought a wireless transmitter for a backup camera to install in my 10' explorer, my plans are to install the camera inside the Hitch hole, but, I'm planning to take the transmitter elec. from the hitch plug. My question is, someone know what cable is the 12+ and where to make ground or - in this connector?

Thanks

Need a multimeter probably

My question is, someone know what cable is the 12+ and where to make ground or - in this connector?

I don't know which wire is which, but you could find it pretty easily with either a multimeter or a 12V tester. The tester is just 2 wires and a bulb. Attach the wires to the bulb, attach one to a ground, and test the connector. 12V+ and it will light the bulb.

You can find a multimeter at places like Radio Shack or Harbor Freight Tools for about $6 here in the states. I'm not sure what you might have for stores that would carry them on Puerto Rico.

If you have a 7pin trailer connector you will have a reverse and a 12 constant and ground there

Here is a diagram...

Wiring3_1.gif

Ford uses the 7 pin system. The backup light (reverse) is tied to the AUX (center pin).

Back