• Register Today It's free!

popping noise

cbizily

Reaction score
City, State
ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
Sorry since i am probably starting over so many old threads but i couldnt find the exact problem i am having.

i bought this explorer about 3 days ago and it has what i believe is a bad transfer case. i bought with 2 different size wheels on it which i know is known to cause the transfer case to go bad.

Here is the problem it sometimes makes a popping noise when going to to gear, and makes the same noise when it is moving and as i give it gas the noise gets louder but if i am just cruising at the same speed on flat ground it will stop the noise. it seems like when ever there is any strain on the car the noise happens and gets more rapid as more strain is put on. I have read a good amount of these threads and some say u joints some say transfer case i am just looking for anyone that has had the same problem.

my father is a ford mechanic and he says it could be transfer case but he doesnt know there also is a good 1/4 turn play in the drive shaft i dont know if that is suppose to be like that.

So if anyone could help that would be awesome. if anyone needs it to better diagnose i can find away to maybe show a video of it doing it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

anybody know whats going on?

More often than not the problem is in the front drive shaft itself. The cv joint to the rear of the shaft wears out.

A new drive shaft from parts store is hit and miss--although they have a good warranty your labor is not warranted, and, you might find yourself swapping it out a few times before you get an actual good one.

You can remove the front drive shaft and go for a ride and see if the noise goes away, however I caution the front drive shaft is used to hold park. The truck will roll on an incline with the front shaft removed.

so if i take it out and the noise persists does that mean that the problem is the transfer case?

so if i take it out and the noise persists does that mean that the problem is the transfer case?

Yes, or possibly the front differential.

awesome thank you this has been driving me crazy since we havent been able to get it in the air yet

i bought with 2 different size wheels on it which i know is known to cause the transfer case to go bad.

is this a 4.0 with 4WD, or the 5.0 with AWD?
if it's the 4.0, chances are different size tires wouldn't be too detrimental to the t-case, assuming it was never (or very very rarely) used on dry pavement.
If it's the 5.0 AWD, then there is a great chance different size tires would destroy the viscous coupling.

Back