5.0 Intake swap question

Benny1581

Reaction score
City, State
Thunder Bay
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT
Hey guys

Just picked up a 1998 Ex a couple days ago with the 5.0 and AWD. I was wondering if the old TrickFlow Track heat intake that I have in the garage will work. I coppied the link from summit below. I also have the matching BBK throttle body and EGR spacer. To top it off, I have a BBK CAI and MAF housing, also from summit. Was wonder if anyone has done this, and if so, what else do I have to change in order to make it all work.

The intake -

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TFS-51511002/

Thanks,

Benny

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Explorer 5.0 has a GT40 intake. A Mustang Throttle body is different than an Explorers and will have to be modified to work.

I well imagine you will loose torque and HP with the Trick Flow intake.

The Explorer 5.0 has a GT40 intake. A Mustang Throttle body is different than an Explorers and will have to be modified to work.

I well imagine you will loose torque and HP with the Trick Flow intake.

More air = less power????

I must be missing something here...

Regardless, any reviews on the MAC intake for the 5.0 explorer?

More air = less power????

I must be missing something here...

Regardless, any reviews on the MAC intake for the 5.0 explorer?

Mustang light weight vehicle. Explorer heavy as pig. Plus that Trick Flow manifold is for upper RPM. You need power down low.

As ****ty as the factory exhaust manifolds are, taking in more air won't do you a bit of good because you can't exhale it.

Mustang light weight vehicle. Explorer heavy as pig. Plus that Trick Flow manifold is for upper RPM. You need power down low.

As ****ty as the factory exhaust manifolds are, taking in more air won't do you a bit of good because you can't exhale it.

Fair enough.

Any insight as to which (If any) programmers are useful for the ex??? I've seen a few different versions around, but... Im not convinced that they'll do anything.

Does FordRacing still make headers for these? I have a set of them on my ranger, and really dont want to invest in Torque Monsters just yet.

SCT Xcal III.

Contact James at Hensen Performance. www.hensonperformance.com
He is a vendor here and knows his way around Explorer. :thumbsup:

The Ford Racing headers are just as big POS as the factory exhaust manifolds. To my kowledge they are no longer available.

I think Im going to stick to my mustangs....

However, for a winter beater, it should be fine.

Any benefit to cutting out the cats on these rigs or do they like the back pressure. We dont have any sort of emissions testing around here. :D

I have a custom built 3" exhaust from a previous ranger project that I THINK can be made work.

Again - MAC intake opinion?

Back