Replacing rear diff in 2002 explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing rear diff in 2002 explorer

sjorda1

Reaction score
I purchased a new 3.55 limited slip rear end to replace my noisy 3.55 open rear diff. I plan on using the mobile one synthetic fluid. I won't need the friction modifier will I? I was reading about the friction modifier and it is to be added to non-synthetic fluid.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I purchased a new 3.55 limited slip rear end to replace my noisy 3.55 open rear diff. I plan on using the mobile one synthetic fluid. I won't need the friction modifier will I? I was reading about the friction modifier and it is to be added to non-synthetic fluid.

This is a new one on me! If the mobil 1 is has frictional characteristics to prevent "chatter" of the clutches, then the modifier is definitely not needed with it.

IMO, I would go ahead without the modifier, and if you experience harshness or chatter when turning tight corners, I would go aheadf andf put in modifier later. imp

I think I've read somewhere that Ford recommends adding modifier regardless, for LS diffs. Others, myself included, add it anyways to be sure. What's an extra couple bucks when a couple quarts of synthetic diff oil is about $40 already?

I think I've read somewhere that Ford recommends adding modifier regardless, for LS diffs. Others, myself included, add it anyways to be sure. What's an extra couple bucks when a couple quarts of synthetic diff oil is about $40 already?

You're exactly right! Why chance the hassle of going back underneath to add the stuff after you find the diff. rattling in every parking lot turn! ;) imp

Add it. I have used synthetic diff fluids that supposedly had it already and I ended up adding it later because is chattered.

correct me if im wrong but dont you have to adjust or tune computer to compensate for the different gearing? That was the only thing holding be back from changing my 3.55 open to LS.

The gearing is the same, so therefore nothing with the computer has to be changed.

but doesnt the computer need to take into consideration that there is another wheel spinning now or is it safe to assume that I dont know what im talking about, or that it would be for the front.

but doesnt the computer need to take into consideration that there is another wheel spinning now or is it safe to assume that I dont know what im talking about, or that it would be for the front.

Nope should not matter one bit. There is only one speed sensor for the rear wheels anyway inthe differental. The computer has now way of knowing which rear wheel is locked or slipping. So, it won't matter as long as the ratio you put in is the same as you took out.

damper assembly

I am having one heck of a time loosening the bolt on the damper assembly on the rear differential of my 2002 explorer. The guy at the dealership said metal bolts fuse on the rubber grommets it goes thru-any suggestions?
Already soaked it ith PB for 24 hours.

I am having one heck of a time loosening the bolt on the damper assembly on the rear differential of my 2002 explorer. The guy at the dealership said metal bolts fuse on the rubber grommets it goes thru-any suggestions?
Already soaked it ith PB for 24 hours.

Sorry I am not familiar with this one, but, would suggest trying an impact wrench, if failing in that, would cutting the head off the bolt allow removal of the part? Then, the remaining portion of the bolt intact would be a headache. imp

Back