What motors will work in my 2000 Ranger? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What motors will work in my 2000 Ranger?

rdreed

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas City, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT Explorer
I have a 2000 Ranger, 4.0 OHV V6. Needs a new motor.
I have located a motor from a 1993 Ranger that looks exactly the same as the motor that came out of my 2000. Would the '93 motor work in my 2000?

If it won't work, what years/models should I look for while shopping around for a replacement motor?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just sayin'

I would put the same one back in......that way you won't have to re-engineer the entire vehicle......

Thanks for your reply, but that's not really an answer to the question that I asked...

I think its 98+ OHV. Anything earlier wont have the right holes in the block for the motor mounts.

I think its 98+ OHV. Anything earlier wont have the right holes in the block for the motor mounts.

Something else to consider is that 1993 was EEC-IV and the 2000 is going to be OBD-II.

Something else to consider is that 1993 was EEC-IV and the 2000 is going to be OBD-II.

So even if everything would bolt up, I would have to use the computer from the '93 engine then?

The blocks look damn near identical. I was planning on using the original 2000 intake and swap all the sensors on the block & heads.

Well, so long as you use the existing computer systems and accessories, there should not be any problems. The computer should not see any difference.

Just as an FYI, if you do not use an engine from a 98+, you lose all of the mechanical upgrades they made after 93. You are much better off with a newer engine.

-Will

:)

That's kinda what I meant....stick to the engine generation and type that's in it........that's all.....a lot fewer headaches

Well, so long as you use the existing computer systems and accessories, there should not be any problems. The computer should not see any difference.

Just as an FYI, if you do not use an engine from a 98+, you lose all of the mechanical upgrades they made after 93. You are much better off with a newer engine.

-Will

What mechanical upgrades? :p:

The poorer flowing heads?
The lack of a ratcheting timing chain tensioner? (the early 4.0l used a spring loaded, ratcheting, oil pressurized timing belt tensioner.)
The cam sync that usually last around 100K miles?

Like I said, ONLY a 98+ block will bolt in.... The motor mount brackets will not bolt onto an earlier block.

Just located a 4.0 out of a 99 Explorer 2wd.
Going to go get it this weekend.

So, would the older block not have the cam position sensor where the distributor would normally go?

What mechanical upgrades? :p:

The poorer flowing heads?
The lack of a ratcheting timing chain tensioner? (the early 4.0l used a spring loaded, ratcheting, oil pressurized timing belt tensioner.)
The cam sync that usually last around 100K miles?

Like I said, ONLY a 98+ block will bolt in.... The motor mount brackets will not bolt onto an earlier block.

After looking at some stuff, snoranger is right, the 97-00 blocks are the only ones that will fit, because the earlier models had 6 bolts on the passenger side and 10 bolts on the driver's side while the 97+ had 8 and 12.

Also, the 93 engines may or may not have come with EGR

So the best engine to go with would be the 97 OHV because the head redesign didn't occur until 98, right?

And my 98 cam sync has over 200,000 miles on it... Should I be really worried? :D

-Will

After looking at some stuff, snoranger is right, the 97-00 blocks are the only ones that will fit, because the earlier models had 6 bolts on the passenger side and 10 bolts on the driver's side while the 97+ had 8 and 12.

Also, the 93 engines may or may not have come with EGR

So the best engine to go with would be the 97 OHV because the head redesign didn't occur until 98, right?

And my 98 cam sync has over 200,000 miles on it... Should I be really worried? :D

-Will

EGR or not doesnt matter. Its external, you just use the stuff from your engine.

I wouldnt worry about the cam sync, but out of the 2 dozen or so 4.0s I've stripped, 75% had quite a bit of wear.

So, would the older block not have the cam position sensor where the distributor would normally go?

IIRC 91-93 dont (except 93 Cali emissions). But they do have an oil pump drive in the same location, they can removed and the can sync dropped in.

not to be a thread jacking troll here.... but what on earth is a cam sync?

I'm asking because to me it's a legit question. What is the purpose of it, what does it do etc...

This is a cam synchronizer.

ford_ranger_1994_camshaft_synchronizer_oem_f37z12a362a.jpg

It goes where a distributor would go in the engine. Its used by the computer along with the crank position sensor to fire the plugs and injectors at the correct time.

Back