• Register Today It's free!

Going Manual

iteotwawki

Reaction score
City, State
Beaumont, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT 4X4
Over the last few days the A4LD on my 1992 has not been interested in shifting in the morning. And now, i felt my first slip/bang. The trans was freshened up (seals, etc.) at 104,000 but at 141,500, it looks like it needs work again. Sigh!

Thinking over my options and since this is my DD, I have decided I would rather convert my rig to a manual trans, than have the auto rebuilt. If I can do the swap in one weekend, that would be great!

So with that said, I am going to ask the explorer community in Southern, CA if they have any spare parts that they would be willing to part with. Obviously, I will pay for any parts anyone is willing to part with but if any of you feel benevelent, :D, I good with that as well! LOL

I found what I consider a good parts list on this site, but a good step by step anyone has already completed would be greatly appreciated.

Moderator, please feel free to move this to the appropriate forum.

this thread is for a 2nd gen, but it has even more detail than foxracin's thread. most of the electronics will be different for you, but it should give you an idea of how to trace any electrical problems you may have

Back