1994 explorer projector retrofit | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1994 explorer projector retrofit

For the full story, go here

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/sho...ord-Explorer-MH1-Retrofit&p=409829#post409829

For a brief synopsis, don't go there.... stay here....

So far I've tweaked both projectors, opened both housings, and have one side just about done. I won't seal it up until I can mount the headlight on the truck and check the rotational alignment, then I will seal the lens on...

As far as I know, this will be the first 91-94 explorer with projectors....

905f0e8c.jpg

a907071a.jpg

0fd6d3a9.jpg

dcb56b80.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know of at least 1 other guy who did them into his stock fluted headlamps, but great job on a great looking retrofit. Can't wait to see your installed pics and pics of the beam to show those guys with the retrofit bulbs just what they are missing.

I know of at least 1 other guy who did them into his stock fluted headlamps, but great job on a great looking retrofit. Can't wait to see your installed pics and pics of the beam to show those guys with the retrofit bulbs just what they are missing.

wow, what a waste...

ok, rephrase... I'll probably be the first to do it correctly :D

I can't stress how friggin awesome these look...anyone want my old silverstars? :p

I thought that was your truck, LiKuiD. Looks awesome, great job dreddog.

HID done right is a beautiful thing:thumbsup:

Pretty nice install. I'm partial to D2S systems or retrofitting OE projectors, but that is a very nice end result. What was the total cost in parts?

Your brother has good taste too, not just with the Explorer, but with the traffic advisor set behind the bumper. Nice.

Which site is it where you found the Depo crystal clears? You had to get the set with the headlamps, signals, and corners, they wouldn't sell just the headlamp assemblies?

Anime said:
Pretty nice install. I'm partial to D2S systems or retrofitting OE projectors, but that is a very nice end result. What was the total cost in parts?

Your brother has good taste too, not just with the Explorer, but with the traffic advisor set behind the bumper. Nice.

Which site is it where you found the Depo crystal clears? You had to get the set with the headlamps, signals, and corners, they wouldn't sell just the headlamp assemblies?

Around $330 if I recall correctly. We couldn't find the housings separate so had to get the whole kit from procarparts.com...however now I have a pair of clear corners if anyone wants to pick them up.

Also...its the knight rider light! The power of the Hoff let's me ride through anything haha

The next set of projectors I'm retrofitting are a set of hella E55's which use a D2S bulb.... The only downside most people see about the MH1 is that it uses a H1 bulb, but the morimoto bulbs are OEM quality, and the beam from the MH1 is actually wider then the MD2S...

The projectors/bulbs/ballasts/harness and misc odds and ends cost 270+ free shipping

The headlights I believe were around 150+ free shipping... I couldn't find any place that sold just the headlights.... See thread

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=319426

Nice work, and thanks for setting the wheels in motion on trying something new on my 2nd gen. ;)

SWEETNESS!!!!!!!! Plan on doing this myself!

you can use them, but the lens is harder to get off of them to install the projector and shroud. Not much more work, just search the internet for how to use the oven to remove your lenses.

Do you notice any glare from the chrome/diamond-cut surrounds in the housing bouncing light off?

Do you notice any glare from the chrome/diamond-cut surrounds in the housing bouncing light off?

the MH1 will leak a little light out, the only way to fully fix this is cover the gap in aluminum tape before putting the shroud on. Honestly, its not enough to bother anyone, it just gives the housing a little bit of a glow....

I think the explorer does this less then my bronco though. In short, its nothing to worry about

Thanks. Good to know.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back