Total miles for a full tank of gas | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Total miles for a full tank of gas

TXplorer2011

Reaction score
City, State
TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 LTD
Hello everybody,

I wonder what others are getting for a full tank of gas in a 2011 ford explorer.
Mine is a FWD limited. I am in my 5th tank and I am raging anywhere from 350 Miles to 375 Miles.
I have about 1500 Miles in the car.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello everybody,

I wonder what others are getting for a full tank of gas in a 2011 ford explorer.
Mine is a FWD limited. I am in my 5th tank and I am raging anywhere from 350 Miles to 375 Miles.

Have never run it to empty... but on our long trip I was able to drive 408 miles before filling up, and it said I still had 27 miles to empty.

Hello everybody,

This is a very broad question. The answers are going to differ depending upon what kind of driving each individual does. When I was driving into the city 3 days a week, a daily round trip consisted of about 50 miles of which approx. 75% was highway driving at 70 mph. The rest of the week was basically driving short trips around town. The computer, after a fill-up, would show that I was good for about 400 miles on the new tankful. I have a 4WD Limited with about 2,400 miles on the odometer.

Hello everybody,

That's about what I'm getting anywhere between 350 and 375 miles a tank. I would say on average I get around 20 MPG in my 4WD XLT with a mixed amount of both city and highway driving here in Milwaukee. I have taken it on long highway trips, and have gotten about 22.5 MPG, which if I would've taken it to be empty would've been right around 400 miles on a tank.

It varies for me. I have a 4wd limited with 3,000 miles on it.
I average 18-19 mpg per tank now (mixed city-highway-hay field). I get 22-24mpg when staying on the freeway (65-75mph). With an 18 gallon tank, doing the math equals 324-432 miles per tank.

Have never run it to empty... but on our long trip I was able to drive 408 miles before filling up, and it said I still had 27 miles to empty.

408 on a single tank is a beauty. Out of curiosity, how many total miles do you have on the truck?

It sounds like I am still in the "break-in" period.

so i have no 180miles on my Ex limited 4wd so a ned one :)

but is it possible i can drive with a full tank only 310miles?
it's not sooo much... for a 18.6Gallons tank.

Stoev

so i have no 180miles on my Ex limited 4wd so a ned one :)

but is it possible i can drive with a full tank only 310miles?
it's not sooo much... for a 18.6Gallons tank.

Stoev
A lot depends on how you drive and whether it is city or highway. I think the best I've seen after a fill-up is that the computer told me I was good for 620km or 385 miles. I estimate my driving was about 70% highway at that time. That number is based on your previous average consumption. With the cold weather you can expect mileage to drop. Canadian models have a 15.5 gallon tank.
Happy New Year stoev.:party:

Peter

@Peter
it would be great when i can drive 620km :)
because i drive easy not to fast and and and...
perhaps when the car is new i can't drive so much Kilometers?
is it possible?

you know here in Switzerland its always cold :)

Happy New Year To All!

This is one of the things I miss about my 2011 Explorer over my 3 prior Explorers.......a smaller gas tank. I wish we had the 22-23 gallon tanks of the past. We would be able to get over 500 miles per tank on a road trip.

This is one of the things I miss about my 2011 Explorer over my 3 prior Explorers.......a smaller gas tank. I wish we had the 22-23 gallon tanks of the past. We would be able to get over 500 miles per tank on a road trip.

Well, no, it's part of the Ford "Green" program. It makes it inconvenient for SUV owners to realize the full capability of the car, in the hopes of forcing owners to switch to say hybrid engines.

Another aspect of the "Green" program is to force owners to use unleaded gasoline by making the fuel port only fit unleaded gas nozzles.

As far as I've encountered, no other car forces the size of the fuel port to be that small. Even my Toyota Prius has a large gas nozzle, fueling it from a gas can is a snap.

Well, no, it's part of the Ford "Green" program. It makes it inconvenient for SUV owners to realize the full capability of the car, in the hopes of forcing owners to switch to say hybrid engines.

...or in the hopes of forcing owners to switch to say a competing car manufacturer.

Ford should have a larger tank at least as an option for the explorer for there is no hybrid power plant for this car as of yet. The tank size is what's making me think about NOT buying this car. Sure, Ford and Toyota are working together to develop a truck/suv/crossover hybrid system but that won't be available for at least 5-10 years.

Larger tank=More fuel

More fuel= More weight

More weight= less MPG/KPG

...or in the hopes of forcing owners to switch to say a competing car manufacturer.

Ford should have a larger tank at least as an option for the explorer for there is no hybrid power plant for this car as of yet. The tank size is what's making me think about NOT buying this car. Sure, Ford and Toyota are working together to develop a truck/suv/crossover hybrid system but that won't be available for at least 5-10 years.
I haven't looked under the Explorer but I'm guessing the tank is somewhat limited in size by the structural design of the unibody platform.
I wasn't aware Ford and Toyota were working together on a hybrid systems. Both already have hybrid systems. Ford with the Escape and Toyota with the Highlander and Lexus RX. I guess this is to meet the 54.5 mpg requirement by 2025 (just looked that up). I did know that Toyota has a partnership with Subaru and also with Tesla Motors to produce an electric motor for the Rav4.

Larger tank=More fuel

More fuel= More weight

More weight= less MPG/KPG

:bsnicker: Another point for the green conspiracy theory! LOL

There's an easy answer though ... "green" _plastic_ gas cans ... ROFLMAO :)

For the 54.5 mpg requirement, that could very well be, but this hybrid system Ford & Toyota are developing is supposed to be a LOT more robust - I think it's supposed to go into the Explorer, Expedition, F-Series (possibly both gas & diesel variants) & possibly other commercial-type vehicles. I don't think it would go into the escape, but I could be wrong. It's supposed to be designed for a lot of towing & off road capability (going through mud, water, etc.) - In other words, a hybrid system that can be slammed around.

Rumor has it Ford has/had a "hydraulic hybrid" system they were testing on their F-Series back in 2004/2005 - It boasted somewhere in the neighborhood of a 300% percent increase in city mpg's, but no real increase in highway mpg's. It allowed for towing and, if I'm right, allowed for off road use. This is only hearsay and you might be able to find it on google if you look. All in all, I don't really know if it's 100% true. If it is true and Ford & Toyota build a more robust electric hybrid system together and couple it to that hydraulic system - that could become one hell of hybrid system, I mean something that could have enough integrity to be applied to semi trucks (tractor trailers) as well.

As for Explorer tank-size increase option , would 2 gallons of milk really decrease mpg's THAT much? No It wouldn't - The weight of the tank while empty wouldn't increase that much either. That's all I'm talking about - a 1-2 gallon increase. However, you mention that maybe the tank size is from the way the unit body is designed - that actually could be and if it is - dag nammit!

+1 for larger tanks.

If the mpg loss over 2 gallons causes that much concern, people could always take advantage of the new year and lose those extra pounds they are carrying these days because we drive everywhere!

I wonder how much MPG you gain per pound lost.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For the most part, I agree, except, I'm 6'4" Tall and weigh 150 pounds or less... I think a diet is the last thing I should do. :)

Back