overheated engine, Totally demoralized =( | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

overheated engine, Totally demoralized =(

hannibalhector

Reaction score
City, State
Bronx, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 XLT
my 2011 XLT with a whopping 2002 miles on it overheated on me this morning. on the highway no less... steam coming out from under the hood, shaking engine, the works. How is this possible?!?! all of my rants on here have been towards the MFT issues. I thought mechanically the car was great and now this!!! im beyond frustrated. Does Ford offer any compensation for these flaws?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

can you share the build date please?

Not good news going around... And it's summer time so if these things overheat most likey you'll be stuck longer waiting for it to cool.

Ford needs to figure this out fast.

my 2011 XLT with a whopping 2002 miles on it overheated on me this morning. on the highway no less... steam coming out from under the hood, shaking engine, the works. How is this possible?!?! all of my rants on here have been towards the MFT issues. I thought mechanically the car was great and now this!!! im beyond frustrated. Does Ford offer any compensation for these flaws?

Thx. Another after the 3/14 range on the tsb. Summer heat is gonna test these cars I think. Ford better get ready to replace a lot of fans.

3-25-11 is the date on the sticker

this sucks big time, I would ask for a 100,000 mile powertain warranty, i know somebody else was offered that after engine overheating

is that a fact? who exactly did he request it from? customer relations or the dealer?

How is this possible?!?!
Sounds like a fan failure. Were the fans running when it overheated?

I keep the temp gauge up in the left info display to keep an eye on vehicle health.

Overheating issue...dissapointed

hi,

I am new to the forum and have read through all the threads and postings regarding Ex 2011 overheating issues.# I would like to start off by saying this is a very valuable forum and the information here is very helpful.

Here is my story that I'd like to share:

Just two days ago, while waiting to pay for parking at Canada's Wonderland, a high temp warning came up indicating that the coolent temperature was high.# Prior to that we had experienced a degradation in the A/C where it was blowing only room temperature air.# Shortly after the warning the engine light came on white smoke proceeded to come out of the engine bay and I shut off the engine and upon inspection, there was coolent all over the ground and in the engine bay.# Some nice fellas helped me weave throught the parking line up and pushed our way to the side and called roadside assistance.# Got towed to my home dealership and that's where she sits today.# They have indicated that it is a coolent fan and it needs to be replace, but that's it.# I asked if there was damage to the engine and the service person said he didn't know.# I asked if they have ever seen this, he said he didn't know.# I think i'll give him a link to this forum and perhaps he'll be a little more informed of the real life occurances of owners of the vehicles that he services.# I think it should be mandatory that all Ford Sales/Service folks spend some time on these forum.# Know what you sell and service inside and out.
To give you backgound.# The car is a 2011 EX Limited.# We purchased what would be categorized as a demo model with ~5000KM (~3,100MI).# We took delivery of the car two weeks ago with no issues other than small MFT issues, which from what i've been reading quite common.# We've driven it about ~900KM (~560MI) when our overheating occurred.# We had grand plans to enjoy our new EX with my family, but we've had to forego those plans until later.

Leading up to the delivery of the car we had some issues with the preparation of the car.# We denied delivery twice due to issues cleanliness and preparedness of the vehicle.# Simply a case of the dealer not doing the basics.# Sell the car, make it look good, make sure it's perfect, send of the customer happy.# Regardless, we eventually took delivery of the car.

I can tell you we are not at all happy with this issue.# From what I read, regardless of the safe guards that are in place to prevent further damage to the engine during an overheating scenario, I'm lead to believe that there could be underlying issues and permanant damage to the engine.# Unfortunately it is a sad reality that we have to deal with that as we continue to own this vehicle.# We are soured by this as we've never had issues with our previous cars which were VW's and most recently a GM Saturn Vue.# This is our first Ford and at the moment will be our last.# We regret the purchase.# I've sent of an email to our sales rep and to the general manager on September 2nd after dropping it off indicating to them our displeasure.# My challenge to them stated in the email was simply to make us happy Ford customers again.# I also stated that they can backup their trust in the vehicle they sold me by confidently offering me extended warranty on top of the extended warranty that I already purchased.# I have yet to hear back from them.

I have a couple of questions for the folks on this forum:

Could I have incurred permanant damage to my car's engine with what described above?
Anybody who has had this issue and had it resolved now have a perfectly working car - so far i've read that "it isn't the same"
Has anybody had issues with Ford Meadowvale service located in Mississauga Ontario, Canada?
How can I escalate this issue properly to get me back to a satisfied Ford customer?
What are my options if I wanted to return the car.# I've had the car for 2 weeks?# Are their Canadian laws similar to the Lemon Laws of the USA?
I'm a#newb, What is a TSB? and how does that help me?
Where can I find the build date?
What should be my next steps
Can the ford customer service reps help me allbeit I am located in Canada?
To conclude this long posting, I would like to say to the folks that are thinking of buying an EX 2011 +, hold off, or look at something else.# We did our research, but failed to find this forum which would have helped greatly in our buying research.# Research the dealer, they're good to you and attentive to your needs during the process, but after that you need to make sure they take care of you.

I think i'll give our sales person and the service person a link to this forum and perhaps he'll be a little more informed of the real life occurances of owners of the vehicles that he services.# I think it should be mandatory that all Ford Sales/Service folks spend some time on these forum.# Know what you sell and service inside and out - its just good customer service.

thanks in advance

I hope that your dealer makes it right, I've put about 7600 miles on my March 31 build. I've went from Miami to Hot Springs and it was extremely hot. No heating issues what so ever, don't feel to upset..things do happen and the great thing you got is warranty. I've had something happen to my Ex but it was taken care of...don't write off Ford just yet. Stay in there and it'll be taken care of, some Explorers had small problems but there is a fix for it and people have not returned to complain about it. If it gets to the point where it is a headache, contact Cory here and he can assist you with the right people in Canada. Good Luck and everything will work out buddy.

Repeat don't write off ford it's not ford who is pissing you off it's the bs dealership you are dealing with that is who you should be reporting the fan issue ford will take care of. Ford built a great explorer but when we by first year models we are some time felt like ginny pigs but thats the price to pay but all and all i live my explorer very much 4700k on it just had mft upgrade and its working awesomely. On this forum you have cory, rebecca, and other's that will help you !!!

Is the V6 aluminum block and aluminum head? If so overheating is not so horrible depending on the amount of time it ran hot.

If the block is different metal than the head, then you definitely strained the head gasket.

You will want to see leak down and compression numbers on all cylinders. Maybe say you want to be there for the tests.

In addition, you want the coolant and oil changed but also analyzed for presence of one another. Maybe replace spark plugs and radiator cap too.

An overheating is serious business with the newer high compression engines. Have them fix, but also make sure they prove there is no damage caused by the overheating.

hi,

I am new to the forum and have read through all the threads and postings regarding Ex 2011 overheating issues.# I would like to start off by saying this is a very valuable forum and the information here is very helpful.

thanks in advance
Vdel, I replied to some of your concerns in the posting in the thread, My 2011 XLT Overheated

Thanks all!

I appreciate the words of advice and confidence in the EX. I think I was in a state where I felt nowhere to turn.

Thanks for answering my questions

Car54, i think I'm going to have a problem asking for all these things. I hate dealing with dealerships and their employees. This dealership doesn't seem like the type that would even suggest that proactively. I'll giver' a try

Peterk9, thanks for the answers to my newb questions. The link would indicate that my EX is a march 03 build date

I'll keep everybody posted as to what happens cause I know you're all sitting on the edge of your seats rooting for me :D

Take care folks and have a great long weekend

Will do!

I'm supposed to speak with the service guy there today. I'm going to be asking for a coolant flush and oil change as well as a compression test and the other things car54 recommended

I'm not going to slag on the meadowvale ford guys just yet

...If it gets to the point where it is a headache, contact Cory here and he can assist you with the right people in Canada. Good Luck and everything will work out buddy.
...On this forum you have cory, rebecca, and other's that will help you !!!
Thanks TIO M & NEWPORTNJ! Your vote of confidence is highly appreciated, and I can help getting this resolved. I couldn’t imagine being stuck for any amount of time in the hot heat.

To those who experience this, please private message me with your VIN, contact information, mileage, and dealer. I won’t hesitate to escalate the matter and arrange for you to be called as soon as possible.

Cory

Vdel ... let me know your sales experience with Meadowvale Ford and the service experience you receive.

I'm in your area and likely buying a new Limited.

Also ... you might want to vote on Sync Services in Canada if you haven't already ...

http://www.thefordstory.com/your-ideas/technologies/infotainment/sync-services-in-canada/

Good luck with your dealer - let us know!

Hi calb
Well still have my f150 rental as the dealer still has my EX. They have fixed and replaced the faulty coolant fan but I'm in "talks" with the service manger about the additional items I requested. I simply asked to make sure they do a flush and fill, an oil change, radiator cap change. I also asked about a compression test as well as to address any TSB's that might be related to my build date

Today I got a call from the rental company indicating that I have to pay for another day since the warranty only covered me while my car was being fixed. Long story short MEadowvale ford are not being straight about what is being done until I called them on it. So the saga continues with me waiting, them telling me that they're going to do some more of the stuff. Good news is that they were kind enough to cover another day of rental. Bad news they said they aren't doing some of the stuff because the service manager doesn't believe it's necessary but I don't know at this point what they would deem as unnecessary. I also asked about getting extended warranty on top of the extended warranty I already purchased. But that sits with the general manger at the moment and would be dealing with that on thursday. So needless to say it's going to be a eventful day and potentially a recommend or not to recommend day

I wish we had a Canadian version of a Cory to help us escalate rather than having to spend my time and my employers time worrying about this

CORY!!

Is there anyway to confirm if the Explorers are to go in Limp Mode or have any types of protection in order to decrease any damage (or prevent) from Overheating??

This might be good to know for all to know and have a better sense of what is going on with the Engine and decrease the FREAKED OUT mode we can all go into when something like this occurs.

HEY MAN HANG IN THERE, atleast you didn't get the X in one day or two. They could be doing a good thing.

Thanks TIO M & NEWPORTNJ! Your vote of confidence is highly appreciated, and I can help getting this resolved. I couldn’t imagine being stuck for any amount of time in the hot heat.

To those who experience this, please private message me with your VIN, contact information, mileage, and dealer. I won’t hesitate to escalate the matter and arrange for you to be called as soon as possible.

Cory

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

TIO, the manual states the car runs on alternate cylinders and kills the a/c if it gets too hot. Is that what you're looking for Cory to confirm?

Back