Order Strangness..... VIN obtained then... Order Cancelled? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Order Strangness..... VIN obtained then... Order Cancelled?

Ajar

Reaction score
City, State
Tampa Bay, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
Hey Guys...

First time long time... Like many of you, I joined here when I placed my 2011 Explorer order earlier this year. I placed my order back on 4/4. Since then... I've been reading of the goodness, badness and everything in between ever since.

A few weeks back, I finally got my VIN and window sticker link from Cory, at the time he said it had shipped via rail and I should expect my vehicle in the next few weeks.

Today I got a call from my guy at the dealership. I was fully expecting him to say the truck was there. Oddly enough, he was calling to tell me that he had just been made aware that Ford never ended up making my truck and had cancelled that order, as they were no longer making 2011s.

He continued on to say that he had already replaced my order for a 2012, the pricing came out a few hundred dollars less, and they would get Ford to honor all of the 4/4 incentives.

In all honesty at this late date, I think I'd rather have the 2012 anyways, but is it just me or does this whole scenario seem really strange?!?

Ajar

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey Guys...

First time long time... Like many of you, I joined here when I placed my 2011 Explorer order earlier this year. I placed my order back on 4/4. Since then... I've been reading of the goodness, badness and everything in between ever since.

A few weeks back, I finally got my VIN and window sticker link from Cory, at the time he said it had shipped via rail and I should expect my vehicle in the next few weeks.

Today I got a call from my guy at the dealership. I was fully expecting him to say the truck was there. Oddly enough, he was calling to tell me that he had just been made aware that Ford never ended up making my truck and had cancelled that order, as they were no longer making 2011s.

He continued on to say that he had already replaced my order for a 2012, the pricing came out a few hundred dollars less, and they would get Ford to honor all of the 4/4 incentives.

In all honesty at this late date, I think I'd rather have the 2012 anyways, but is it just me or does this whole scenario seem really strange?!?

Ajar

Hmm.... Get another status from Cory. he should be able to confirm whether it was cancelled or whether there were shennanigans going on with the dealer.

sounds like the dealer might have gotten a better offer from another customer and put you at the end of the line. If your explorer had already "shipped" then it was already built.

-J

sounds like dealer sold your car.... go on the site to check your window sticker and see if it's a full sticker with your options on it. Also my window sticker had my name on it right above the "total options" price right above total cost of vehicle, see if the window sticker has your info on it....

Yes it does sound strange if Cory confirmed shipment. There is also a site that can you information on your VIN. If truely "cancelled" that information should be available.

You may wish to have a 2012, but if the dealer is playing a shell game with your 2011, it could be a concern for the next one they order for you.

So I'm eating dinner with my wife & the kids and our guy at the dealer calls... "I want to start off by saying I haven't been drinking today...." and he goes on to tell me how they he found our car after our conversation. It had been sitting on their lot for 3 days and he was never notified. Apparently, he went crazy on the ordering guy after our talk, I'm guessing because I had told him about my PMs with Cory.

Needless to say this day has had a lot of ups and downs. Now... our car, built exactly to our specs is sitting there with a 'sold' sticker on it awaiting our answer AND there is an order in for the same truck as a 2012.

What to do??!

Ideally we'd like to go with the 2012....

We are in no real rush whatsoever. So time is not an issue. It looks like he missed a few features on second order, when corrected, the 2012 invoice comes to $600 more than the 2011 did. Now rebates... When we placed our order, we were going to be getting $1,000 Cash Reward + the $750.00 brochure private cash. I see the cash reward is now at $500. Are they still sending out brochures with $750 private cash rebates in them? If not it looks like the bottom line is we're looking at spending $1850 more for a 2012...

What would you do?

I ASSume dealer will not give you rebates on 2012 since they found your 2011.
I wolud try and push him since they screwed up but I would get it in writing.
Did you PM Cory? He might be able to help.
Don't know about brochures with $750 private cash rebates. Ordered my Ex March 23. So ordered brochure before that and did not get coupon. Think it goes by region. You can check on the "2011 Order Status Threads." Maybe you'll find more info there.

So I'm eating dinner with my wife & the kids and our guy at the dealer calls... "I want to start off by saying I haven't been drinking today...." and he goes on to tell me how they he found our car after our conversation. It had been sitting on their lot for 3 days and he was never notified. Apparently, he went crazy on the ordering guy after our talk, I'm guessing because I had told him about my PMs with Cory.

Ideally we'd like to go with the 2012....

What would you do?

I call BS on the dealer's explanation. I think vig1116 was on the right path. Even if your car wasn't sold I"ll bet the dealer figured he could sell it on the lot for more than you'd agreed to pay. He probably assumed that you'd buy his story about the cancelled order, then when you mentioned your communications with Cory he knew he'd been busted, and suddenly "found" your car hidden on his lot, as if there were so many he just didn't notice it.

As to what you should do? Tough call. If you want a vehicle right now go ahead and take it. If you don't mind waiting on a 12, then order one...from a different dealer. I wouldn't reward this guy.

jrmexplorer & GWA1, I appreciate your recommendation to contact me.

Ajar, like JDJones said, I was able to confirm the shipment, so I’m glad it finally made it. Please feel free to send me a PM with any questions you might have that will help you with the decision!

Cory

Ajar; What did you do?

Ajar; What did you do?

Sorry I have not posted an update on this - I've been pretty tied up at work. I went in and drove our 2011 build around for about an hour to make sure the configuration was exactly what we wanted. Our salesman was pretty cool about it all.... He said to do whatever we would be happiest with as the 2012 was already on order. On our return to the dealership, the sales manager pushed a bit to get us to take the 2011... We ended up going with the 2012.

In the end if I'm not able to find any more rebates the 2012 is going to run $1500ish more, but all and all I feel it's a better move for my family....

Thanks for all your input....

Ajar

I would have made the same choice...

Assume your 2012 will already have the following problems fixed:
1) Fan failure - 1 full day of lost work (dropping it off, confirming problem, getting picked up, returning when part is in) plus one day lost vacation if it overheats
2) A-Pillar rattle fix - half day lost work
3) MFT/APIM issues - half day lost work
4) Rain noise - half day lost work (could be done concurrently with other work)

If you had the '11 you could possibly have 2-3+ days of missed work. I'd include that dollar amount in the decision to wait for the '12.

Back