Shocks for 2" lift

tjsxplodr

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer XLT
I will b doing shackles and coil seats to add lift to my ex, what kind of shocks would you all suggest i get? I know ill need 2" over stock size but im not a shock guru....gas or air what brands work best for the 2" lift?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Even for mild offroading? I want to make sure I'm not going to hurt the stock shocks by going offroad. Nothing major, just some dirt roads that are really bumpy and have ditches.

i think you should be good with just a 2" lift, you will just have less travel on the shocks, but i dont think 2 inches is an issue.

Ok great. Any suggestions for stock shocks? Brand and air vs gas?

Shock advice is sooo conflicting... some people like the ranchos, some say they are too stiff. Some like the monroe sensa tracs, some say too stiff, some say too firm, etc....

Bilsteins are supposed to be the best, but that comes with a heftier price tag.

I know rancho has a 50 dollar rebate going on now, and I used a 20% off coupon to get them. But monroe has a rebate offer every few months, but I think it just ended...

Even for mild offroading? I want to make sure I'm not going to hurt the stock shocks by going offroad. Nothing major, just some dirt roads that are really bumpy and have ditches.

Yup. Do not get 2" longer shocks or you will break shock mounts off in the front. In the rear you might get away with a 2" longer shock but it is not needed. I run stock length shocks in the rear with my 2" lift and they dont limit any flex.

I ran Rancho 5000s for many years and they seemed to work pretty good. I recently redid my suspension with some custom parts and now run Bilstein 5125s which is a much better shock but it will not just bolt up to the stock parts.

Oh boy quite the extensive list. Guess ill see what i can get discounts on....

go to 4wheelparts.com, they might still have their "shocking deals" sale. i got a set of pro comp ES 3000's for 145.00, and also printed out one of those mail in rebate forms too that offers an extra 50 bucks off. they also have a set of rancho 5000's for 200 with a 50 dollar mail in rebate too.

I found the monroe sensatracs for 20 and 30 on rock auto.com. Those r what ive decided to go with.

those seem to be the most "cant miss" all around shocks talked about on the forum. let us know how that works out for you.

As mentioned, you don't need longer shocks for a 2" lift, since usually it settles to about a 1.5" lift, anyway.

A little mod you can do if you need just a little extra length when it comes to the front shocks is to get a thicker upper donut bushing, between the top of the shock and the bottom of the stud mount. This can give you another quarter to half inch, which is usually enough to prevent the shocks from overextending with the 1.5-2" lift. Just make sure you have plenty of thread on the top of the stud, and that the thicker bushing isn't excessively tall, otherwise the stud could break.

Monroe SensaTracs are pretty good all around shocks. I had them and liked them a lot, they were very smooth on the highway, and handled off road duty with no problem. Monotubes like Bilsteins are better in terms of control, but you pay the price with a very firm ride, and they do cost more.

Meh, if most ppl agree that the 2" lift is going to be fine with stock size shocks, I'll just go for it. Gonna learn how to replace shocks :)

Meh, if most ppl agree that the 2" lift is going to be fine with stock size shocks, I'll just go for it. Gonna learn how to replace shocks :)

It doesn't seem too hard to do. I won't be doing it because my shop quoted me 40 bucks to install all 4 shocks. Cannot beat that.

It doesn't seem too hard to do. I won't be doing it because my shop quoted me 40 bucks to install all 4 shocks. Cannot beat that.

NICE! I wish it was that cheap here.

Back