• Register Today It's free!

A/C issues

Awsum97

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NewYork
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 5.0 XLT AWD
I got the A/C repowered about a month ago. I get the freon pumped in my a garage every summer. usually it works for the whole summer. but it seems that the air that is coming out is not really as cold as it was last summer. keeps me from sweeating but not where it should be. What do u guys think is the likely isssue? a leak or in need of a new compressor etc? thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The ac is a sealed system. If you have to get it charged each summer then there is a leak, albeit a slow one if it takes many weeks to discharge. As the refrigerant leaks out the system looses ability to cool properly.

gosh figured. anyway to easily diagnose where the leak is and then a fix? or is it something best left to professionals?

The system contains large components-- compressor, condensor, evaporator,(expensive) hoses, receiver/drier(less expensive). orifice tube and o-rings(cheap). Any of them could leak. To properly replace even a 50 cent o-ring, the system has to be emptied and refilled ( in an eviromentally correct way.) This means even the smallaest leak to repair properly will cost over $100 to repair.

You can buy a refill can with leak detector dye in it to locate the leak. Putting a can or 2 of R-134 a year to top off system will be much cheaper than most repairs, but you will be destroying the earth's ozone layer.

Once you locate the leak, depending on your ability, you can replace any defective part yourself, but the system has to be emptied and refilled properly to work correctly.

thank u for the reply i have to find out where it is leaking

The system contains large components-- compressor, condensor, evaporator,(expensive) hoses, receiver/drier(less expensive). orifice tube and o-rings(cheap). Any of them could leak. To properly replace even a 50 cent o-ring, the system has to be emptied and refilled ( in an eviromentally correct way.) This means even the smallaest leak to repair properly will cost over $100 to repair.

You can buy a refill can with leak detector dye in it to locate the leak. Putting a can or 2 of R-134 a year to top off system will be much cheaper than most repairs, but you will be destroying the earth's ozone layer.

Once you locate the leak, depending on your ability, you can replace any defective part yourself, but the system has to be emptied and refilled properly to work correctly.

+1
With the price of refrigerant these days, fixing the leak is the way to go.

Back