Rattling noise in the front A pillar at the roof line. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rattling noise in the front A pillar at the roof line.

gerrion

Reaction score
City, State
Memphis, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer
Hello to all, I have a new 2011 Explorer and love it other than a rattle noise that sounds like a flag waving briskly when driving at highway speeds. It is in the A pillar at the roofline and is very annoying. I have 3000 miles and waiting for need of oil change before going to dealer for assistance. Does anyone else have this problem? I read about the noise/vibration in front left due to foam behind fascia but this seems different to me as it is along roofline and windshield towards upper left side. Thanks gerrion

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I seem to have developed the problem too. There are many post about an A-pillar vibration, do a quick search.

This might sound dumb what is and where is the A-pillar?

This might sound dumb what is and where is the A-pillar?

Pillars on are labeled from starting at A and in the case of a wagon/SUV through D. The A-pillar is what holds the front windshield.

Wind Noise in windshield pillar

Hello to all, I have a new 2011 Explorer and love it other than a rattle noise that sounds like a flag waving briskly when driving at highway speeds. It is in the A pillar at the roofline and is very annoying. I have 3000 miles and waiting for need of oil change before going to dealer for assistance. Does anyone else have this problem? I read about the noise/vibration in front left due to foam behind fascia but this seems different to me as it is along roofline and windshield towards upper left side. Thanks gerrion

I have a new 2011 Explorer LTD. Have noticed an intermittent rattle which appears to originate from the base of the right windshield pillar. Only seems to occur at highway speeds (60-70mph) with windy conditions. Is not a quiet noise but is quite loud and disturbing. Of course the dealership was unable to reproduce the noise and says that Ford is not aware of a problem.

I have a new 2011 Explorer LTD. Have noticed an intermittent rattle which appears to originate from the base of the right windshield pillar. Only seems to occur at highway speeds (60-70mph) with windy conditions. Is not a quiet noise but is quite loud and disturbing. Of course the dealership was unable to reproduce the noise and says that Ford is not aware of a problem.

Read the A-Pillar Rattle/Buzz thread........it's the one with the most posts.

Update on Rattle Near "A" Pillar

My local Ford dealer replaced the front cowl which is the black trim part that is just below the windshield wipers. The bad thing about this rattle is that you need to drive at a certain speed and with strong head wind conditions to reproduce the "flapping" noice. I have a 600 mile trip coming up so I will be able to give it a good test and see if that fixed it.

Unfortunately there is one other area that you may get a rattle and that is located at the "B" pillar and so far just driver side. The "B" pillar is the post that connects the roof and the body and is in between the front and back seat. The rattle is insulation that is between the black headliner and the roof. This was designed with an air pocket between the black headliner and roof for added insulation for weather and sound deadening but unfortunately the insulation is not rigid enough it seems and it tends to bounce up against the roof when you drive at 20 - 45 mph over a rough surface causing an annoying rattle. My Explorer is perfect other than the rattles but if the dealer can fix them I will be okay. It is pretty bad that they had them in the first place but with up to 20,000 parts on a vehicle it isn't unusual for this to happen. Mfg monitor warranty costs and this is going to show up so design changes and or fixes will take place at the assembly plant.

Back