New Explorer--Love Car--MFT/Sync issues. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Explorer--Love Car--MFT/Sync issues.

ForensicSleuth

Reaction score
City, State
Little Rock, Arkansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer-Limited 4X4
Hello all

I purchased a 2011 Explorer in February. Love the vehicle and way it rides and handles. I wish I would not have spent the 8K additional to get the MyFordTouch with Synch and Navigation and more. Have had vehicle in 6 times to repair everything from constant rebooting, radio screaming on (and cannot shut off) Navigation not working, SD card faults, and MUCH more in way of issues. Dealer and FORD in Dearborn say there is a "magic update" coming in July (not known when) but they do not know what to do until them. Apparently these issues are not isolated to me. Is anyone else having issues with their MFT/Synch? Thanks for any input.:mad:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wish I would not have spent the 8K additional to get the MyFordTouch with Synch and Navigation and more.

I bet you have a happy salesman. ;)

BTW, welcome. There are MANY threads from those few who have massive issues to the majority who have little to none.

Hello all

I purchased a 2011 Explorer in February. Love the vehicle and way it rides and handles. I wish I would not have spent the 8K additional to get the MyFordTouch with Synch and Navigation and more. Have had vehicle in 6 times to repair everything from constant rebooting, radio screaming on (and cannot shut off) Navigation not working, SD card faults, and MUCH more in way of issues. Dealer and FORD in Dearborn say there is a "magic update" coming in July (not known when) but they do not know what to do until them. Apparently these issues are not isolated to me. Is anyone else having issues with their MFT/Synch? Thanks for any input.:mad:

Dealerships seem to be trying the old - an update is coming - thing to deflect all My Ford Touch (MFT/Synch) issues, even if some are related to bad hardware. Personally, I have very minor glitches here and there with the current software, but overall my system works fairly well - Nothing like what you are describing. Your system should be working the same way with the same software.

To find out what is going on, we need to isolate the issue to hardware or peripherals.

My suggestion is to unpair all phones (delete from MFT/Sync and from the phone), reset the sync software to factory settings (from a menu in sync) and do a battery pull to make sure all sync memory is wiped clean.

NOW.... don't re-pair your phone or connect any external devices.... Just drive it around. If you still have issues, at this point I would think it would be a hardware issue that needs to be fixed by a new APIM (the computer inside of sync), or a new media hub (HUB). I suspect this is your issue given your nav faults.

However, if the problems go away, then likely some external device you are adding is not playing nice with Sync. Try adding them on one by one to find out when your problems start. Some users have reported more issues with Apple products than others. Additionally, users who have lots of music or lots of contacts on their phones seem to have issues because Sync cant handle that much "stuff" and is too stupid to tell you that.

What version are you running? Login to syncmyride.com to find out. If you have v 2.8 you have the latest. If you have less than that, its up to you to decide if you want to wait for the magic update or bite the bullett and get 2.8 and then the magic update. Personally, I'm not holding my breath that this magic update will come out this month.

Don't let the dealer convince you a hardware issue will be fixed by new software - it wont.

Another tip is to pull fuse 29 or the battery cables when sync gets goofy from time to time.

Finally, Private Message the user FordCustSrvc : his name is Cory and he is a helpful Ford customer service rep who has helped many members of this board resolve their issues. He can have your issue escalated up the ladder at Ford

He even prowls around this board looking for people to help so he may PM you!

Hello all

Join the club, register your vote here:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=320900

The advice above is on target, I too have a strong feeling that a new version of software will NOT resolve the issues you are seeing.

One additional idea is that it could be Ford has a software installation issue, and until their processes mature it will be challenging to tell a hardware issue vs. a defective software install. If the issues are just unbearable, a reload or a move to current 2.8 could resolve the software question.

The reboots, radio issues and Nav faults ARE NOT normal for any software version, in my opinion or experience. Ford dealers have to understand the differences between hardware and software; fixing what is actually broken. If any version of software was bad, every Explorer with that version would have the same issues, that is not the case.

So, 1) unpair and remove all extra equipment, reset your preferences. If the issues don't change, 2) get a software reload (2.8 is current). If the issues still don't change, stay on your dealer and Ford to look at every piece of hardware in your MFT.

MYtouch/SYNC issues

I have a two month old Limited Explorer that has had nothing but problems with the SYNC system and the Navigation System. The dealer is aware of the problems and has told me a "magic fix" is coming out sometime in July. While waiting for the fix, the dealer said that if I have a problem with the system, I should disconnect the negitive side of the battery, let it sit for 5 minutes then reconnect. That does clear up the problem, but... resetting the system is not an answer. It is a big pain in the butt. Navigation system has also been having GPS connection issues, plus trying to route me onto roads that have no connection to my destination.

Hello all

jrmexplorer, vfral1, and JDJones all have great advice. With all the frustrating issues you have been experiencing, I would like to help by escalating your concerns. I can do this if you’re willing to send me a private message including your VIN, dealer name, and approximate mileage.

...Finally, Private Message the user FordCustSrvc : his name is Cory and he is a helpful Ford customer service rep who has helped many members of this board resolve their issues. He can have your issue escalated up the ladder at Ford

He even prowls around this board looking for people to help so he may PM you!

I really appreciate your recommendation to private message me. Thanks!

Cory

Magic MFT Fix

Anyone else hear about this magic MFT fix that is coming in July? Is this going to coincide with the start of production of the 2012 Explorers (July 18th)?

Anyone else hear about this magic MFT fix that is coming in July? Is this going to coincide with the start of production of the 2012 Explorers (July 18th)?

I'm sure the 2012's will have it.... as a 2011 owner, I'm not holding my breath. I know that they will eventually release it for us 2011 owners, but I'm guessing more like a fall timeframe.

Sync issues as well

Hi everyone, I picked up my Explorer in March. Dealer updated the Sync software on June 2nd. Fixed the time that was off. Monday this week, started with Navigation fault. Pulled the SD card, everything else seemed ok. Later on Monday the screen started to have issues. AC was runnning, but the display showed it was off. Put car in reverse no camera. Tuesday Display out, the sync system is dead. Dealer will look at Friday.. Nice for a $ 40,000+ car......

2012 Explorer

Here's hoping the 'magic fix' is real and fixes most of these issues once and for all. I have a 2012 Ex on order with a likely delivery date sometime in September. Sometimes is really pays not to be on the bleeding edge.

Hi everyone, I picked up my Explorer in March. Dealer updated the Sync software on June 2nd. Fixed the time that was off. Monday this week, started with Navigation fault. Pulled the SD card, everything else seemed ok. Later on Monday the screen started to have issues. AC was runnning, but the display showed it was off. Put car in reverse no camera. Tuesday Display out, the sync system is dead. Dealer will look at Friday.. Nice for a $ 40,000+ car......

Picked up my 2011 Explorer Limited 4WD last month. Had this same issue with mine. I had no AC, back up camera, sensors, radio or nav. Took vehicle back to the Dealer. They ran a diagnostic on the system and reset it. So far it's back working.

Pairing issues

Hello all,
I am a new Explorer owner and currently experiencing a phone pairing issue.

Wondering if anyone else had any issues pairing their phone?
My wife has a Droid X and it pairs with no problems. My Droid Incredible however will say it is paired but won't connect and stay connected.

Overall pretty happy with it. I was surprised at how hard you have to press on the screen to make selections and the performance could be faster but these are not that big of a deal at this time.

Thanks

Sync & Display

Last Friday Dealer fixed the system, worked for about 20 hours than problems came back. Was unabe to get phone to connect and the radio would not come on. But unlike the last time with total failure, still have nav, backup camera and all controls for the A/C. Going back to dealer again next week, here in Pittsburgh.

Ford Sync / My Touch problems
2011 Explorer XLT
Mileage - 9300
1FMHK7D8XBGA06609

I called the local Ford dealer in Walker Mn. when the navigation screen wouldn’t shut off and he couldn’t get it in for 2 days. I asked him if their dealership had worked on any 2011 Explorers with sync problems and he said no. They are a very small dealer and have no experience with this vehicle. I have had other problems worked on in Fl. And been taken care of. But are now in rural Mn. For the summer. This is a complex issue and I need to know what you can do.

Phone won’t connect, happened more than once.

Radio turns itself on after I turned it off when exiting the vehicle.

Navigation at times will not come on for a few minutes intermittently.

Touch screen sometimes will not respond until touched repeatedly.

Navigation icon showed on screen going cross country when on Lower Ten Mile Rd. towards 371.

Navigation can not find Bemidji Mn, even when trying to spell it . Then it goes into automatic, asking what can I do.

Voice turns on with various instructions without being asked.

Sometimes voice fades in and out when it is functioning.

My Ford touch right side display does not show USb until you press the center screen. Have to use center screen touch to turn on.

Right Side Display always reverts to AmFm when restarting the vehicle. Have to use voice or center screen to bring back to where it was before.

Back up camera would not shut off for 10 miles when driving forward, It would not shut off even when the vehicle shut off. Finally shut off by itself ½ hour later.

Upon starting the car the center screen went black and nothing worked. Drove 15 miles that way with no functions whatever. Came home and disconnected negative battery cable. Put back on and still black, within 10 minutes screen came on and is now working?

My question to you is what can be done about these faulty Sync, My Ford Touch problems? Band aid rebooting and minor upgrades appear not to be working according to the different forums I have been reading.

Another problem I have is the uninsulated front of the roof panel which is very noisy in heavy rain. Also, after 6 months the side window streaking problem is getting worse.

This vehicle has been in to the dealer in Fl. for the A pillar noise twice, had the windshield replaced along with the gasket, and could not reprogram the My key function to turn off. It also was recalled for the second row3 seat recall. These issues were taken care of in a timely fashion.

Five times in and still multiple issues. I’m not a happy Ford owner and feel like we are your experimental guinea pigs for this model. I realize my vehicle is one of the early builds but isn’t that what preproduction models are for?

My last 13 vehicles have always been Fords. The last three were Expeditions and in all three only had one minor thing wrong which was an upholstery issue.

I’m awaiting your response.

Jim Keiper
June 30, 2011

Still no response to the above letter!
Since that letter a few things are better but new problems have cropped up.

Screen went black, then rebooted itself.

Rear camera went black for a day

A more recent note on the screen says navigation is unavailable, contact dealer. I then restarted the car and it came on but the lower one inch of the screen is blank.

Trying to use the voice activation on navigation it does not recognize simple directions finding streets. It would not cancel itself and kept repeating itself.

When trying to run a vehicle check it could not connect to complete the process.
the phone function tried to dial a number which I do not have and did not ask for.

What does one have to do to get a system that is supposed to work? Online someone from customer service is saying a major software fix is in the works possibly in July. Is that true?

Part 2
Continuing problems

Asked Navigation for the nearest Walmart in MN. And it pulled up two stores in Fl.
While tuning to a Sirius channel the phone came on and starting dialing a non existent phone number.
When turning off the ignition and exiting the vehicle the radio turned itself on after exiting the vehicle,
Last week when opening the fuel door it fell off into the street. Taken to a Ford dealer in Brainerd MN. laughingly they finally figured out how to put it back on the vehicle.

So you can judge by my letter that I am not happy. I hope that the "new coming update will fix the multiple problems. One can always hope.

Jim Keiper

Jim,

I am having many of the same problems your are having with my new Explorer--including numerous reboots in the middle of phone conversations. I have "escalated" this to Ford in Dearborn and the rep tells me that "they are working on these KNOWN problems" and that I will just have to wait until they find a FIX---EXTREMELY DISSAPOINTING!!!!! :mad::(

Roger Bolhouse, Little Rock, AR

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back