• Register Today It's free!

Attn: SOHC Automatics

Big Turkey

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 4.0 OHV Sport
Hey guys, I was talking to a friend of mine (Actually someone from this forum) and he was telling me about this track experience tonight, he ran a 16.04 bone stock with a 98 SOHC V6. That's pretty impressive. His is an automatic, and he said that he shifts at 6000 RPMs. Is thiat true for all of you SOHC guys? Cause I have the OHV, and I only shift at 5000 RPMs.. that's a whole thousand less with no power! :mad: What's the deal?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the sohc revs higher...

16.04? Are you sure it's not 16.4?

Mine revs pretty high, but the transition between 1st and 2nd sucks. It just that good ol ford explorer tranny.:bounce:

16.04 is likely if it is a 2WD Sport. My 4x4 Sport ran 16.373 when it was stock with 50K miles on it. The SOHC loves to rev much higher than the OHV does. My '94 4.0L Ranger fell on its face above 5000 RPM. My '97 SOHC Explorer slams into each gear with authority at 6000 RPM.

YEAH it revs real high

I have 98 SOHC with Chip and mine rev's really high, like holds 6000 RPMS and shifts up there too. ALot higher than the OHV or V8. The chip helped alot in that 1st to Second switch transition..... it used 2 suck, not near as bad anymore. Intake and exhuast help all that too

lol it's kind of funny how we are "revving high" at 6000rpm. I know, I know...it's an SUV...don't flame me:p

LOL Kontrol.

Yeah he ran a 16.04, and yes it's a 2WD sport. Hmm.. I might just give up on the X and buy a CRX or civic hatch. 5k = a new car and 14s. I said I might.. don't flame me either. :D

naw don't go crx. the comfort rating in those suck IMO

cool, a crx with 87hp at the crank:rolleyes: :p
(unless it's the si with 106hp and better gears. but those are rare. the dx is most common. a fast 1/4 mi. time for a stock crx would be 18 seconds).

CRX = $1000

B16A1 + tranny + ECU = $1500

Total = $2500

CRX + B16A1 + tranny + ECU = 14s. :bounce:

For less than a supercharger would cost on an Explorer, I would get a new car and run 14s. That's a good deal. But the only thing is.. they're so small.. and I'm so big.. I might go with a civic hatch.

Originally posted by Big Turkey
CRX = $1000

B16A1 + tranny + ECU = $1500

Total = $2500

CRX + B16A1 + tranny + ECU = 14s. :bounce:

For less than a supercharger would cost on an Explorer, I would get a new car and run 14s. That's a good deal. But the only thing is.. they're so small.. and I'm so big.. I might go with a civic hatch.

Put a turbo on that sucka and...:eek: :p Just make sure it doesn't sound like this

HHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!! THAT'S FRECKING HILLARIOUS KONTROL-TRAK

sheeeeeet

I got 33's on my 98 sport sohc (engine stock), and i still take a 5.0 w/stock rubber... oh and btw... thanx to those recalls on the 98 sohc, I got a rebuilt engine and a new exhaust system compliments of ford.....

Back