• Register Today It's free!

Release date for new MFT?

RandyH2

Reaction score
City, State
MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'11 Limited AWD
Does anyone have an estimated or planned release date for the new MFt software?

I have to take mine in for fan replacement and am hoping to get the new software too.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd rather Ford take their time on this new "fix" to get everything right instead of rushing another crappy update that creates more bugs. At this point, I'd be amazed if it actually did fix the problem. I'm expecting the worse though.

Does anyone have an estimated or planned release date for the new MFt software?

I have to take mine in for fan replacement and am hoping to get the new software too.
I’ve heard that an update is nearing release but no official date yet. I was told it will be released before the end of July and I’ll post here when I hear an exact date.

I'd rather Ford take their time on this new "fix" to get everything right instead of rushing another crappy update that creates more bugs. At this point, I'd be amazed if it actually did fix the problem. I'm expecting the worse though.
I know the SYNC engineering team is working very hard to resolve these bugs and improve the MFT experience. Making sure you’re happy with your purchase is the highest priority.

Cory

I am actally more concerned with interface fixes and performance boosts than actual glitch fixes. If MFT worked half as well as an aftermarket system, I'd be ecstatic.

I’ve heard that an update is nearing release but no official date yet. I was told it will be released before the end of July and I’ll post here when I hear an exact date.
Appreciate that

I know the SYNC engineering team is working very hard to resolve these bugs and improve the MFT experience. Making sure you’re happy with your purchase is the highest priority.
I realize you are only the CS Rep assigned to try to assist the masses, but really Cory? Really?

I in no way can believe that with all the problems experienced by owners that none of these manifested themselves during testing. This was clearly a case of rushing a product to market to make the date. Someone overpromised and underdelivered and I really hope they are nowhere near the development team that is working on the updated software.

Coincidentally, I just received the JD Powers survey in the mail yesterday. Gosh, that's a long bugger. And no online way to complete it. I guaranty I will complete it objectively based on my personal experience. In summary, I love many things about the vehicle, and HATE the buggy, kludgy nature of MFT.

I can easily see Ford dropping its partnership with MS over this... they should team up with a company that specializes in car audio/video systems eg. Pioneer, Kenwood, etc.

If MS can do a total overhaul of the interface of their gaming console. I don't see why they wouldn't be able to do it for the Sync system. I wish their programmers logged onto these forums in addition to just the Customer relations reps.

Blaming Microsoft is always easy, and to be honest they have certainly earned it over the years. In this case though I think much of the blame belongs to Ford. My understanding is that Microsoft designed the underlying system but Ford contracted with some other company (starts with a B, I think) to do the user interface called My Ford Touch. Without seeing the "naked" Sync system it is hard to know for sure.

I have my fingers crossed that the new software will be better written/compiled (so it runs faster on the existing hardware) with better interface, etc. I REALLY hope they had some outside testers use the system under careful, unguided, observation to see any stumbles and design problems. If they had taken the time to do that with the existing system I believe they would have caught a lot of problems.

Blaming Microsoft is always easy, and to be honest they have certainly earned it over the years. In this case though I think much of the blame belongs to Ford. My understanding is that Microsoft designed the underlying system but Ford contracted with some other company (starts with a B, I think) to do the user interface called My Ford Touch. Without seeing the "naked" Sync system it is hard to know for sure.

I have my fingers crossed that the new software will be better written/compiled (so it runs faster on the existing hardware) with better interface, etc. I REALLY hope they had some outside testers use the system under careful, unguided, observation to see any stumbles and design problems. If they had taken the time to do that with the existing system I believe they would have caught a lot of problems.

You are correct - the company name is B-Square: http://www.bsquare.com/

Who according to their website are supposedly experts at this. They even brag about MFT on their website

-J

From the B-Square website:
"Bsquare integrated several new technologies for the project, including:

Custom User Interface: Bsquare implemented the entire user interface designed by Ford, including integration of Adobe Flash, to provide state of the art graphic and multimedia capabilities. It also integrated several other technologies including speech recognition, navigation, media, climate controls and phone for a seamless user experience.

Single Point of Navigation (Voice and Touch): Bsquare combined applications from other Ford partners into its customized user interface to provide a single point of control, whether driven by speech commands or a touch screen."

So it sounds like Ford designed the interface and Bsqaure implemented it. I wonder if they tried to make fixes or if they were simply told to "do this".

So it sounds like Ford designed the interface and Bsqaure implemented it.

I believe the initial design was done by IDEO in conjunction with Ford

http://www.ideo.com/work/myford-touch/

I like the design but something is clearly unstable under the covers. It doesn't matter if the root blame goes to Microsoft or Adobe or B-Square. It was Ford that brought it all together and made the deliberate decision to deliver something that was not stable.

Also, if I was SiriusXM, I'd be pretty miffed at Ford. The slowness and instability of the MFT when trying to use SiriusXM is a poor showcase for their product. The surest way to see the black boot screen under v2.8 is to attempt to browse SiriusXM channels. And the channel lineup fiasco from 5/4/11... ridiculous. I wonder how many people will allow their SiriusXM subscription to laps after the trial period just because they dont want all the issues that come with trying to use it.

Completel agree on the Sirius issues. Hopefully the new system will be MUCH better for browsing.

Cory- is Ford going to release anything official (or unofficial) about the new software prior to it being available? Sample screens, list of fixes, availability date, etc?

Adobe Flash

From the B-Square website:
"Bsquare integrated several new technologies for the project, including:

Custom User Interface: Bsquare implemented the entire user interface designed by Ford, including integration of Adobe Flash, to provide state of the art graphic and multimedia capabilities. It also integrated several other technologies including speech recognition, navigation, media, climate controls and phone for a seamless user experience.

Single Point of Navigation (Voice and Touch): Bsquare combined applications from other Ford partners into its customized user interface to provide a single point of control, whether driven by speech commands or a touch screen."

So it sounds like Ford designed the interface and Bsqaure implemented it. I wonder if they tried to make fixes or if they were simply told to "do this".

Now it makes sense why there are so many crashed and glitches.

Was Adobe Flash really necessary for the graphics animation? Flash is a processing power hog and prone to glitches. What were they thinking? :thumbdwn:

Where's Apple when you need them.

This news story is interesting........kind of a Ford OnStar service

Ford Trials Complimentary Live Operator Assistance for SYNC Services; Free Business Search and Address Entry Support

• Ford is beta testing an Operator Assist feature for the cloud-based network of SYNC® Services, giving all registered Services users complimentary access to a live operator for help with business searches and address entry for turn-by-turn directions
• About 70 percent of calls to SYNC Services are for business searches and/or directions
• SYNC Services provides access to more than 14 million business listings

Ford SYNC Forum – Getting directions or finding a business using SYNC® Services has become even easier thanks to a new feature called Operator Assist that allows users to instantly connect with a live person.

Operator Assist is only a voice command away, making it part of the growing list of cloud-based driver aids offered by Ford Motor Company. The new feature provides customers with the ability to safely connect with a live person who can quickly access information databases to help drivers get where they’re going.

Operator Assist is currently in a beta test trial phase and being offered as a complimentary feature for registered users of SYNC Services. No additional software or hardware is needed.

“Ford is committed to continuously improving the ownership experience and delivering the level of connectivity that customers want,” said Doug VanDagens, director, Ford Connected Services Solutions Organization. “By leveraging what’s available in the cloud, we continue to innovate and improve our customers’ experience without having to touch the vehicle or inconvenience the owner.”

How it works
Cloud-based, on-demand, voice-activated SYNC Services provides access to information about traffic, news, sports, weather, horoscopes, stock quotes, and movie listings along with business searches and turn-by-turn directions.

Operator Assist is available for the directions and business search functions of SYNC Services. Seventy percent of all SYNC Services calls are for business search and directions, said David Gersabeck, product manager, SYNC Services.

Using advanced vehicle sensors, integrated GPS technology and comprehensive map and traffic data, the SYNC Services automated system delivers turn-by-turn directions to the user. Further, with access to more than 14 million business listings, SYNC Services’ automated system directs users to the businesses they seek.

Now, with Operator Assist, at any time during a business search or directions interaction between the user and the SYNC Services automated system, the user can say, “Operator,” confirm his or her request to speak with an operator, and connect to a live operator. This system gives Ford customers the choice of interfacing with a live operator or utilizing the interactive voice recognition system.

“Our customers asked for additional assistance in situations where their voice request was not understood,” said Gersabeck. “If you want the most reliable user experience, enabling alternative methods for customers to access information will increase success, which is where Operator Assist factors into the equation.”

In the event a user says an address or business that the automated system can’t identify, the user will be prompted with the option to connect to a live operator. If the user confirms he or she would like to speak with an operator for further assistance, the system automatically connects the user to the live operator.

When a live operator assists with a business search, the user can choose to receive turn-by-turn directions to the business, receive a text message with name, address and phone number information about the business (applies to certain phone carrier networks), or be directly connected to the phone number of the business.

When a live operator assists with address entry, the user can have the directions sent directly to the vehicle.

“We want Ford SYNC Services customers to have the peace of mind that comes with knowing they can get where they’re going or want to go,” said Gersabeck. “Being able to connect with a live person at any time contributes to that peace of mind.”

The live operator services are provided by MyAssist, a leading live assistance and telematics service company for individuals and businesses based in Stevens Point, Wis.

Ford Sync Forum Team.
Dearborn, Michigan.
Hometown of Ford.

I see this as a bad news, indicating that there is no easy and quick fix for the problems with MFT and navagation. Any other thoughts?

I didn't interpret it that way at all- but that's just me. I think this is the answer Ford has to OnStar.

I've had many opportunities to play with Windows Embedded and Windows Embedded Automotive. Regardless of their perceived past history with PC products, these are rock solid OS components when the hardware is well designed and doesn't change. Drivers are the #1 cause of system malfunction (outside of hardware failure) and unless you have full control over each of the hardware components (such as what Ford has mostly done), your opening up a large list of possible failure vectors that cannot be thoroughly tested. The piece(s) that are failing on us are not the underlying OS but the interface, thermal design, and the chosen radio chipset/driver combination... and ultimately the systems integrator Ford chose to use. Need a good example... disable the WiFi radios and unpair all bluetooth devices then perform a hard system reboot... you'll be surprised how well things work and fix most (non hardware or external device-related) problems you may be having. Looking at the performance counters (don't even ask) there appears to be a memory leak in both the bluetooth stack and the gui engine combined with excessive CPU utilization and internal thermal-based scale downs that build over time. But that's just my $0.02 after growing tired of waiting for an official answer.

Looking at the performance counters (don't even ask) there appears to be a memory leak in both the bluetooth stack and the gui engine combined with excessive CPU utilization and internal thermal-based scale downs that build over time.

That's what I was thinking! LOL

Seriously have no idea what that means but hope it can be fixed!! :D

I've had many opportunities to play with Windows Embedded and Windows Embedded Automotive. Regardless of their perceived past history with PC products, these are rock solid OS components when the hardware is well designed and doesn't change. Drivers are the #1 cause of system malfunction (outside of hardware failure) and unless you have full control over each of the hardware components (such as what Ford has mostly done), your opening up a large list of possible failure vectors that cannot be thoroughly tested. The piece(s) that are failing on us are not the underlying OS but the interface, thermal design, and the chosen radio chipset/driver combination... and ultimately the systems integrator Ford chose to use. Need a good example... disable the WiFi radios and unpair all bluetooth devices then perform a hard system reboot... you'll be surprised how well things work and fix most (non hardware or external device-related) problems you may be having. Looking at the performance counters (don't even ask) there appears to be a memory leak in both the bluetooth stack and the gui engine combined with excessive CPU utilization and internal thermal-based scale downs that build over time. But that's just my $0.02 after growing tired of waiting for an official answer.

Although I only understand about 60% of your explanation I still believe the Ford SYNC Team has an obligation to field test interfacing peripheral devices with WiFi on, smartphones, other BT devices connected, and HVAC system fully operational. Everyone knows you cant just bench test software, you have to release beta versions to a small controlled group in the field and then get their real world feedback.

All the problems we are experiencing should have been discovered last year before the production release.

Asking for SYNC MFT to work with an iPhone (the most popular smartphone in the world) isn't asking for the obscure. My wife's 2011 GMC Terrain OEM Bluetooth system is much less sophisticated and connected my iPhone once and it never dropped again. It switches between mine and my wife's iPhone seamlessly.

There are many people on this forum with the software background capable of providing constructive feedback to the SYNC Team. Yes, it may require the need to sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA) but the benefit to the SYNC Development Team would be huge.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As I have mentioned in other threads. I am pessimistic that MS/Ford/Bsquare/whoever else had a hand in rolling out this abomination we call MFT, will actually spend time fixing our problem instead of just releasing something better in the newer models. What I would be more optimistic about would be for some Ford owners/programmers to possibly come up with a customized system similar to a cooked ROM that we'd flash our mobiles with. Something we could easily throw on a usb stick and flash our systems to a leaner meaner version of MFT. I would happily donate a good chunk of change to the cause.

Back