If anyone is out there, PLEASE HELP!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

If anyone is out there, PLEASE HELP!!!

angelababy

Reaction score
City, State
pittsburgh, pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer
Dear Lord this is my fourth transmission (4r55E) in my 96 Eddie Bauer Explorer.
Only had it in for about 18 months, brand new rebuild kit, valve body rebuit and heavy duty tourque convertor and new cooler (for the lines, I think)...my fiance' is a 15year mechanic and did the r&r and valve body him self and the truck ran fine til today...It made a horrific sound when I let off the accelerator I began to break and it went away, briefly. It seems like durin 3rd of 4th gear coasting it wants to WHINE or whatever it's doing it sounds like a kuzoo, except really loud!!! Please someone tell me what to do so I can make my fiance' fix it, agian! I'm really gonna miss the drive-in till then....THANKS IN ADVANCE!
;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Also the rpms don't move while doing this!

Can you explain a little in detail about no RPM's?

Do you mean the tach needle stops moving or drops to zero?

Or

Do you mean the engine wont climb in RPM's?

Or something else?

Not enough info - could be anything in the drivetrain (transfer case, transmission, or axle). I say whip that 15year mechanic of a fiancée of yours back to work :)

TCase or tires?

I am thinking it is your transfer case.
PS: It could also be the tires causing the transfer case noise.

Can you explain a little in detail about no RPM's?

Do you mean the tach needle stops moving or drops to zero?

Or

Do you mean the engine wont climb in RPM's?

Or something else?

the tach doesn't move past 2k...

I am thinking it is your transfer case. Mine did the EXACT same thing. There is an excellent thread here called BW 4405 rebuild diary.
PS: It could also be the tires causing the transfer case noise.

I do have a dented rim on the driver's side..(thought nothing of it)

the noise if definatly coming from the tranny, I drove it a little more today, I live in pa...notorious for hill and bends and it feels like I'm killing the truck the more I drive it around here to begin with...but as soon as I let off the gas, it makes the sound, or if I push the brake( as long as I'm not in a higher gear) it goes away...

My 97 was doing something similar to that. It had all your symptoms except for the RPM`s. I ended up having to rebiuld my rear diff because the pinion nut had backed off a little and allowed the pinion to wobble around in there. It threw off the spacing and backlash which caused a pretty nasty clunk whenever i let off the gas or just switched it from park to reverse. Idk if that helps but good luck

angela, I am by means an expert on this, but I will try to offer a bit more info about the ControlTrac system:

Considering all four of your tires, the ControlTrac system is highly sensitive to any differences in tread depth, or more precisely tire circumference. It is widely known that this issue will cause noise and possibly damage to the system.

Also, the Borg Warner 4405 Electronic Transfer Case has it's own set of issues, some of which can cause the symptoms you have described. These weaknesses could possibly be exploited by the tire circumference issue, but I am just guessing at this point.

Best wishes.

Back