Help with iding a plug?

jd4242

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
va beach
Year, Model & Trim Level
92explorer&94 ranger
anyone know what this plug goes to and where it gets power from?i know the one behind it goes to the antenna and dont mind the red wire coming off from it.it use to be hot at all time and is no longer hot,i cant find a fuse or where or what it goes to:rolleyes:its on the drivers side near the gas pedal
2011-07-09150444.jpg

2011-07-09150511.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That doesn't look factory...

I haven't looked in that area in awhile though, I'll take a look later.

no idea i have it too. you said its hot all the time? or just ignition?
its gotta be something with the radio, cause thats there its all leading to

while i was under there you reminded me of a wire ive had dangling since i got the truck, i just noticed a place to plug it into

the most i could find on it:

1992:
Constant 12V+ Green/Yellow
Switched 12V+ Yellow/Black
Ground Black
Illumination Blue/Red
Dimmer n/a
Amplifier Remote Blue
Antenna Right Front

1993:
WIRE COLOR POLARITY LOCATION
Battery LIGHT GREEN/YELLOW (+) RADIO HARNESS
Accesory YELLOW/BLACK (+) RADIO HARNESS
Ground BLACK (-) RADIO HARNESS
Illumination ORANGE/BLACK (+) RADIO HARNESS
Dimmer LIGHT BLUE/RED (+) RADIO HARNESS
Power Antenna AMP=BLUE

and
Yellow = To a live terminal in your fuse block connecting to the car battery

that is the factory amp wiring for the jbl subwoofer.

It is factory, I have a diagram of it, but it is one of the few that does not reference back to it's function. The big yellow wire typically feeds constant positive to the ignition switch and the PCM.

this is what i thought it might go to.but both still work and it has no power.i had spliced into it for a manual over ride for my fan switches and it started acting funny when i had the switch on.like the truck would keep running when i had the ignition turned off and with the switch on.then with the switch off and truck on the fans kicked on all by them self.so i pulled the switch to see if it was bad.it was a relay for my trans fan that was back feeding but now the yellow wire is no longer hot.truck runs fine and no codes,everything seems to work for now but i know that yellow wire was hot.

both the blue and yellow. that harness goes straight back to sub-woofer amp. you should not tie into this circuit just use an accessory circuit.

both the blue and yellow. that harness goes straight back to sub-woofer amp. you should not tie into this circuit just use an accessory circuit.

i don't have a sub.where is the fuse for it and why when i had the switch.on would it keep the truck running?

i don't have a sub.where is the fuse for it and why when i had the switch.on would it keep the truck running?

You have (or had) a factory amp. Thats what the other harness goes to (the one you said is for the antenna). It the premium sound harness.

You have (or had) a factory amp. Thats what the other harness goes to (the one you said is for the antenna). It the premium sound harness.

may have had a factory amp but never a sub..where would this amp be and where is the fuse for this yellow wire

bump?where does it go to or the fuse at?

On the '94, for a 'Premium Sound' system (amp, no subwoofer), the Yellow wire begins at the interior fuse panel, position #16, 20A. It goes through Connector 239, which you picture, and then on to Position 1 of the Amp connector.

The wire with it in the connector, dark blue, goes from the head unit to the amp, and I gather is the amp enable line.

The red wire splice is not factory wiring.

On the '94, for a 'Premium Sound' system (amp, no subwoofer), the Yellow wire begins at the interior fuse panel, position #16, 20A. It goes through Connector 239, which you picture, and then on to Position 1 of the Amp connector.

The wire with it in the connector, dark blue, goes from the head unit to the amp, and I gather is the amp enable line.

The red wire splice is not factory wiring.

thank you very much.yes the red wire i did.can i ask where you found this info?I've looked everywhere,just for later use or more knowledge.

I highly recommend the factory Electrical and Vacuum Troubleshooting manual. Here's one for your '92, $12 including shipping. It documents every wire by color, connector pin by pin, locations of splices and grounds, and includes all options and variations. It's hard to describe, but for troubleshooting electrical, it's invaluable. And a 200 page manual delivered at that price is a steal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1992...Motors_Manuals_Literature&hash=item3a41c82514

Now, a little bad news, but you can overcome it: One of the changes from '92 to '94 is fuse assignments. So, yours may not be at position #16. But, it's probably a 20Amp fuse, so if you have a tester, you should find the dead one in a few minutes. Otherwise, get your pliers and start plucking them out for a visual check.

Actually, you know what is cool about this is, if you decide not to run the amp, there isn't anything else on this circuit. So, if you were to want to add an accessory, this might be an interesting option. It is hot always, regardless of key.

I highly recommend the factory Electrical and Vacuum Troubleshooting manual. Here's one for your '92, $12 including shipping. It documents every wire by color, connector pin by pin, locations of splices and grounds, and includes all options and variations. It's hard to describe, but for troubleshooting electrical, it's invaluable. And a 200 page manual delivered at that price is a steal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1992...Motors_Manuals_Literature&hash=item3a41c82514

Now, a little bad news, but you can overcome it: One of the changes from '92 to '94 is fuse assignments. So, yours may not be at position #16. But, it's probably a 20Amp fuse, so if you have a tester, you should find the dead one in a few minutes. Otherwise, get your pliers and start plucking them out for a visual check.

crap. yea i have checked them all and they are all good from what i can tell.might have to put a meter on it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back