• Register Today It's free!

chop top 1 ton ex.

86 slo-vo

Reaction score
City, State
owensboro, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
figured i would add my build over here.

i bought this thing last year from florida, drove it 17 hours home. i DD'd it for a few months then stole the suspension and axles to put under my ranger. i had planned to put it back to stock and let the wife drive it, but it just ended up sitting on jackstands for about 6 months. well we have girl number two coming in october so i decided its time to sell the ranger and build me a 4 seater rig.

this is what i started out with.
IMG_1586.jpg

IMG_1677.jpg

IMG_1680.jpg

i started the chop the other day.
8dfd7319.jpg

bbd97713.jpg

bab0331f.jpg

75d0b7dd.jpg

64c48b09.jpg

b9e721e2.jpg

im going to try and keep this build going fast, need to get as much done as possible before the baby comes, but plans are to be hitting the trails by spring.

ill update with more info on the rest of the build tomorrow

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ok back again.

the axles are 2002 superduty D60 and sterling 10.5. planning on 4.88's welded rear and a locker in the front, havent decided which one yet probably just going to depend on money.

the front suspension will be leaf sprung, still trying to decide on which leaves.

drive train will be 4.0/np435/1356/205.

tires...hoping for something between 38-40 inch tires.

got some more done, finally got everything trimmed down enough to break out the welder. after pulling out the hatch and cutting it probably 30 times it finally set down into place. i cut more then i should have on the roof so im going to have to cut a strip out of the piece i cut off.

also got one of the rear 1/4's cut.
454de036.jpg

37c4f175.jpg

gotta love a welder with a stitch mode, the hatch is some thin ****.
c251d839.jpg

Sweet build!

I was hoping you were gonna leave the rear hatch wiper lol.

doesnt seem like much but got alot done tonight, got most of the passenger side hatch sealed up. turned out to be easier then i thought but still took me 3.5 hours to get this far.

7f836a09.jpg

87c960f5.jpg

613c76b9.jpg

21a6d675.jpg

85787bc1.jpg

the top corner is going to be a nightmare.
2861d8cd.jpg

still need to cut a piece off the old roof to fill in the new.
aefd1540.jpg

got some parts in too.
49e0580e.jpg

90058667.jpg

:thumbsup::thumbsup:Hooo construction work is completely crazy, the end result strongly very good. i thing love

:exp::exp:

thanks, going to try and finish up that side tonight.

sick. i always love chop tops. and tons certainly don't hurt either. looking forward to seeing more progress!

thanks, hoping to go pick up the sterling 10.5 this weekend and should have 120 feet of 1.5 tube ordered for the exo bumpers and sliders by tomorrow.

Thumbs Up! Diggin it and looking forward to more pics.

:popcorn:

I wanna see how this ends up.

moving as fast as i can for having a pregnant wife and a 3 year old that are always coming up with something for me to do.

got a little more done today, not near as much as i hoped to do though.
got a little done today.

132c8180.jpg

32525952.jpg

b34e78c4.jpg

3fb64225.jpg

;);)
hi,
Good job, really impressive this part, I can not wait to find out more :bounce: :bounce:

moving as fast as i can for having a pregnant wife and a 3 year old that are always coming up with something for me to do.

I'm in no rush.... LOL

I do understand the wife and kids part. I have 8, 6, and one on the way. Needless to say my projects get put on the very far back burner.

Oh I'm thoroughly diggin the ammo can for a console (if that's it's intended place). :)

Hi Mr. Cribb,
You also have a project you think.
Are you able to tell a little about it can be?
Congratulations for your wife and yourself for the coming of your baby

I'm in no rush.... LOL

I do understand the wife and kids part. I have 8, 6, and one on the way. Needless to say my projects get put on the very far back burner.

Oh I'm thoroughly diggin the ammo can for a console (if that's it's intended place). :)
lol then you deffinantly know what i mean!

yup the ammo can will the the console, i still need to do some work on it to make it work like i want.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Mr. Cribb,
You also have a project you think.
Are you able to tell a little about it can be?
Congratulations for your wife and yourself for the coming of your baby

I'm waiting on funds to replace the clutch, then paint. Maybe one day I can take it from a 2wd to a 4wd. If I did a 4wd conversion then I'd go for a solid axle from an early bronco (since that's a direct fit).

Right now it's rattle canned black. I plan on a two tone paint. Bottom part from the molding down black rest gloss red. The rest of the mods are in my signature.

The 4wd conversion will be many years down the road. I can't start this until i have another DD.

Thanks on the congrats.

Back