• Register Today It's free!

#20 Fuse Keeps Blowing

Derty2009

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Eddie Bauer
I have an obvious short somewhere but where?? This fuse is making my power locks not work, my radio wont turn off when the door is opened, dome lights dont come on when door is open, and daytime running light dont work. Its just a 5 amp fuse but it blows instantly. I will be checking for broken wires in the door jamb boot tomorrow. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have an obvious short somewhere but where?? This fuse is making my power locks not work, my radio wont turn off when the door is opened, dome lights dont come on when door is open, and daytime running light dont work. Its just a 5 amp fuse but it blows instantly. I will be checking for broken wires in the door jamb boot tomorrow. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. thanks

check the boot between the drivers door and the body of the car for a broken black ground wire. that should fix the problem.

Checked and rechecked it. No broken wires.

When does the fuse blow? Imeadiately when installed? when the key is turned on? when teh power lock button is pressed?

Checked again, found 2 broken wires. Replaced the wires from as high as I could in the boot on the body side and to as low in the door as I could. The fuse worked for about 5 minutes and blew again. Its just blowing at random, not when anything is pressed.

I'm having the same exact problem. Please someone tell me what's going on it's driving me crazy!!!!!

Broken wires in that boot between the drivers door and the body of your explorer. I put butt connectors in there when I fixed mine and it didnt work very well. After I soldered them it was fine. Look at both of the black wires. Check for breaks and cracks.

I checked all that last night and to my surprise all of the wires were perfectly in tact. I think there's a break in the wires under the carpet that run to the power seat that's grounding out somewhere. Ill keep you guys updated on it.

I have a 2003 mercury mountaineer and I'm having the same issue. I found the source of the short but cant seem to fix it. its the wiring for the power seats. the switch that moves the seat back and forth. It rubs against the frame of the seat causing the coating around the wires to wear off and over time rubbing againt the metal frame causeing a short. my issue is no matter how much tape or covering I put on it, the tape wears down again and i'm left with the same issue

I have the seat torn apart and the wiring harness out but the wiring is so thick that I cant seem to figure a way to keep it from shirting out again. I'm trying to figure out a way to put some type of metal housing around the wires to keep them from rubbing again!

Back