Towing with my Explorer....opinions wanted!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Towing with my Explorer....opinions wanted!!!

uponone789

Reaction score
City, State
Southwest VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT
I have an '04 Explorer XLT 4x4 4.6 D4 axle...I have somewhat inherited a lawn care business which I need a tow vehicle for. I'm thinking of using the Explorer but I want some opinions first. I will be towing a 16' double axle trailer (approx 1200lbs) with two JD mowers (approx 1600lbs) and maybe 100lbs of misc weight. My explorer has 87k miles and runs great with the exception of the pesky low noise hum that comes from the rear axle. Would any of you have any issues towing this kind of weight??? The trailer has brakes and if I decide to do this I'll have a break box installed on the Explorer. Thoughts please.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have an '04 Explorer XLT 4x4 4.6 D4 axle...I have somewhat inherited a lawn care business which I need a tow vehicle for. I'm thinking of using the Explorer but I want some opinions first. I will be towing a 16' double axle trailer (approx 1200lbs) with two JD mowers (approx 1600lbs) and maybe 100lbs of misc weight. My explorer has 87k miles and runs great with the exception of the pesky low noise hum that comes from the rear axle. Would any of you have any issues towing this kind of weight??? The trailer has brakes and if I decide to do this I'll have a break box installed on the Explorer. Thoughts please.

Thanks!

I would'nt use an EX with 87K miles to tow that weight, commercially. Much less with the "pesky low noise" that you refer to. Have you service your rear axle, change diff. fluid?

I should have been more specific about its use...I expect that I would only tow with it maybe 100 miles per week on flat ground. I have service my rear diff and added royal purple synthetic fluid. This did not change the noise at all.

I would do it. I would start saving for a rear axle rebuild though since it sounds like it's on the way out.

So the annoying hummmmmmm at 50-55mph that disappears when im off the throttle and reappears when I reapply the throttle is def. a sign of a future rear diff failure?

So the annoying hummmmmmm at 50-55mph that disappears when im off the throttle and reappears when I reapply the throttle is def. a sign of a future rear diff failure?

Mine does this too...the noise has gone from non existent to pretty loud in only a few months so I'm kinda wondering what the future holds.

I would do it. I would start saving for a rear axle rebuild though since it sounds like it's on the way out.

x2

i would also get a weight distributor for your hitch, they are nice to have but ofc not at all necesscary

You're well within the capabilities of the truck (if you have the towing package). I tow one of the trailers for my daughter's high school and it tips the scales at around 6000 lbs (no weight distributing hitch, either; the trailer isn't set up for it). I too have the rear-end noise, though it isn't bad. And I pulled well over 1000 miles this season. The truck was pretty much empty (max of one passenger), and no problems at all.

For a brake controller, I have this unit - http://www.rvwholesalers.com/catalog/prodigy-brake-control-by-tekonsha-17-0101.html This, along with a harness that will plug right into the truck (again, if you have the towing package), will be all you'll need.

The starts are what is going to get both your trans (weak link) and that axle.

And that axle noise - drive side gear lash - how long are these surviving? Is it a new gear set or just an adjustment?

I think it's the bearings that go bad. If you wait to long the gears will be bad too though.

I'm thinking I'll probably just trade it in at a dealership and get something more appropriate. I don't like it enough to put the money into future repairs that it sounds like it's going to need.

Back