• Register Today It's free!

Need new tires... but which one?

NJExplorerFan

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Limited
I need to get 4 new tires on my '03 XLT V8 Explorer. It has the 245/65/17 tires on it now. I'm just curious which ones are good out there? I want an all-season tire that's quiet in city/highway driving and pretty good in the rain/snow.

Any suggestions? I keep seeing that the General Grabber HTS tires are recommended by many people.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I researched the heck out of tires and ended up with Firestone Destinations. I never bought Firestone tires in my 30+ years of driving. I can say that after 9 months or so I am very pleased.

The price was right as well.

I put on a set of Goodyear Wrangler AmorTrac all season tires in December and I am very pleased with them. They are very quiet on the pavement and perform excellent in the snow. I got them at Sam's Club. $555.00 mounted, balanced, new valve stems.

I did quite a bit of research, I bought General Grabber HTS; last fall, they're great on snow and rain. Rated # 1 for SUVs by Consumer Report Magazine.

I went with the General Grabber HTS in March and have found them to be a great tire so far.

I went with the General Grabber HTS in March and have found them to be a great tire so far.

+3. These tires are GREAT!!! All the reviews said so and they weren't lying. Great on dry road and great on wet road. No snow yet to test them on, but I am not worried.

These replaced some nice BFG's too. They are very noticably better.

I just put a set of Michelin Latitudes on back in december. They handled snow very well and they are very quiet on the highway and handle very well. I suggest them.

There are other tire makes besides Michelin? Who knew :)

I will stay with them though, for the truck it's been 2 sets of cross terrains (one set came with) and 1 set of LTX (the ones on there now). Highway, rain, snow and light trail they have never let me down, quite and last 80-90k what more could one ask for?

Wow, looks like many have bought, liked and confirmed all the great things I have heard about the General Grabber HTS tires. Maybe I'll go with these.

I have motorcraft courser at/2 and love them. Great in the rain. Ok in the mud nothing deep. And pulls great with a trailer. Quite on the roads and has a life of about 4 years.

Wow, looks like many have bought, liked and confirmed all the great things I have heard about the General Grabber HTS tires. Maybe I'll go with these.

Had a new set of these put on when I bought my Explorer last October and they've been great. I would recommend them to anyone who's looking for a new set.

Surprised no one has mentioned Nexen.
I know they're made in China, but I have them on my 04 for about 10k miles so far and no problems.
Even wear, good wet/dry traction, raised white letter.
$600 installed including tax and 65k mile warranty.

Most everyone things all things made in China are junk, but its not always the case. The tires have good reviews.. and I'm quite pleased, I was skeptical at first.

I browsed General Tire's website and at the bottom it reads "© Continental Tire the Americas, LLC 2008. All Rights Reserved".

Am I correct in assuming General Tires are made by Continental Tire right here in the USA?

Michelin ltxII

Go to TireRack.com and look up survey results for the type of tire you want. I chose to go with the Michelin LTX II which are rated number one by a good margin. To save a little on these expensive but very long lasting tires you can go with 235 70 16 instead which do not change your speedo or odometer readings. The tire also look very good. Michelin sent me a $70 rebate visa card fairly quickly.

Thank you everyone for your responses. I actually ended up getting the General Grabber HTS Tires and I couldn't be more happier. They are very quiet, smooth and grip very well. I took it out in the rain for the first time today and I couldn't believe how well they hooked on wet roads. They did not slip at all. I slammed the gas to test them out on a turn and it was like driving on dry ground. Very impressed and I'm also now one to recommend them to others.

Back