• Register Today It's free!

01 EXP. over heating......

ducrnd

Reaction score
City, State
N,Ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 xlt
While driving, the temp gauge went to hot, then suddenly fell to normal position. about 20 miles later, the same thing, over heated then fell ...Thinking it was the thermostat starting to stick, I replaced it.
I still have the same symptoms now, except that I now notice that it boils over into the resoviour. The temp climbs then drops then it boils....
I was told by person that its the head gaskets..
If it was, would I see oil in the anti freeze or antu freeze in the oil ??
And what if the pump fails but the seal does not? so no water leaks from it. ?
can the pump be shot and not pumping water. so its just boiling off the radiator ???
ducrnd@yahoo.com
PLEASE any info, Im starting to 2nd guess myself....................
I disconnected the heater core hose and started the engine, a very little trickle of water was comming out.I refilled the radiator, and still a little trickle of water was comming out. when I put the hose to the radiator , alot of water came through...
I have a duralast thermostat installed.
should I get a motorcraft.?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

pick up a block tester from napa-$40 buck will tell if your motor is blown or not.

Also, there are disposable strips that can test for hydrocarbons in the coolant. Similar to pH test strips. If exhaust gas from combustion is getting past the head gasket(s) and into the coolant, it is an easy way to tell it is happening.

Also, there are disposable strips that can test for hydrocarbons in the coolant. Similar to pH test strips. If exhaust gas from combustion is getting past the head gasket(s) and into the coolant, it is an easy way to tell it is happening.

Where do I get these strips ???

wouldn't there be alot of other problems than the overheating......

not necessarily, fluids don't have to mix to have a BHG. combustion gasses in the cooling system could be the only symptom. trust me on this one, you could get to napa and back before you hear everyone guess the problem on here...:salute:

overheating

First thing I'd do is have the cooling system professionally flushed.

Where do I get these strips ???

A speed shop I frequented had these and they were accurate. A Google search or call to a repair shop might help you find them.

Back