96 Explorer 2nd broken axle housing HELP | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96 Explorer 2nd broken axle housing HELP

slickemhoundd

Reaction score
City, State
Glassboro, southern jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Limited 5.0
I installed a 4" superlift on the truck a month or so ago and a week after the front axle housing snapped right at the the tube going to the vacuum acctuator..... replaced it with a boneyard axle housing.... 2 weeks later broke in the same spot but no as clean of a split... im so lost, pissed and upset.. does ANYONE have any input before i find another housing and waste my time tearing 2 trucks apart AGAIN. Please and thank you! Both the drop brackets were snugged while the housing was free hanging to ensure no bindage

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I installed a 4" superlift on the truck a month or so ago and a week after the front axle housing snapped right at the the tube going to the vacuum acctuator..... replaced it with a boneyard axle housing.... 2 weeks later broke in the same spot but no as clean of a split... im so lost, pissed and upset.. does ANYONE have any input before i find another housing and waste my time tearing 2 trucks apart AGAIN. Please and thank you! Both the drop brackets were snugged while the housing was free hanging to ensure no bindage

Free hanging does not cover upward movement of the suspension against the springing, such as when the wheel rolls over a sudden obstacle like a hump, right? You may need to look into what "snubbed" that upward movement before you raised the vehicle higher, and figure out how much it allowed for "free movement" upwards, before snubbing. Then, space the snubber lower to bring that suspension travel limit back to what it was, factory-wise. imp

just a thought.

My confusion being that there is 3 brackets, one on the back to restrict up/down movement, and two brackets that MAY have lateral play if loose. But in stock form the actual would be bolted in a manner where it would not move at all. This is why I let the axle housing hang to have the brackets as vertical as possible. This is anothet reason I'm sso confused because this housing being ifs should not move at all BUT both of these housings broke in the exact same place AFTER installing the superlift kit

another hunch I had-how about the vacuum lines to the reservoir? Larger tires will sometimes break the vacuum lines up in the fender well. The lift will streth the vacuum lines a bit.

If there was a vacuum leak might the CAD possibly bang in and out of the drive position?

Hi zip tied to the vacuum lines to the box because they were stretch a bit but have not broken yet, as far as leaks that is a very good question though, and I do not have the limiting straps, I know I could use them but the kit did not come with them, would the pressure from the cv axles be able to crack the housing like that at full droop?

Hi zip tied to the vacuum lines to the box because they were stretch a bit but have not broken yet, as far as leaks that is a very good question though, and I do not have the limiting straps, I know I could use them but the kit did not come with them,

would the pressure from the cv axles be able to crack the housing like that at full droop? My guess would be that, if the inner (probably) C-V joint is being moved to the limit of it's travel, then yes, something would have to give. Either the axle shaft would bend, which it WILL, a little bit, if this is where binding is happening, and then the housing will crack, it's aluminum, is it not? just another thought.... imp

Apparently through rummaging through the instructions i am missing a lateral support bracket, page 6 part #55-08-9630 http://www.superlift.com/instructions/9630.pdf
Now i can only imagine its a crucial part but is it capable of snapping housings if not installed? Also it doesnt seem as if itd be very sturdy if only held by 1 preexsisting bolt.

That is all it takes to keep the diff from moving side to side. I think you found your problem.

While you are on the phone with superlift, you ought to mention your kit has no limit straps. See what they say. PM sent

also i dont even know what these compression stop brackets are and or look like 55-09-9630, 55-10-9630 unless these are bumpstop bracket.... but either way i dont know

That is all it takes to keep the diff from moving side to side. I think you found your problem.

While you are on the phone with superlift, you ought to mention your kit has no limit straps. See what they say. PM sent

im sure they will want me to pay for them too, they want 45 for the lateral support bracket

answered the bumpstop/compression bracket question :banghead: , i just dont understand how this lateral bracket being held in by one bolt can be sturdy enough

answered the bumpstop/compression bracket question :banghead: , i just dont understand how this lateral bracket being held in by one bolt can be sturdy enough

The torque bracket on the driver side of the diff shares the load. Might want to remove it to see if it got bent. 1/4" out is a world of hurt to the diff.

I am going to look into that as soon as I get home, from what I can remember it al appeared straight but does not mean that it is, also in that picture I noticed the lateral support bracket, and it is weird from that particular picture it doesn't even look like it is against anything

Back