• Register Today It's free!

1st Gen vs 2nd Gen 07 ST

lynnc7738

Reaction score
City, State
Oak Ridge, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Sport Trac V8
How do you tell an early model vs a later model or 1st gen vs 2nd gen/ is it by the serial number? I have an o7 V8.
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They look pretty different for starters. Second, the 1st Gens have a solid rear axle with leaf spring suspension, while 2nd Gens have IFS/IRS with coilovers all around.

Here's an example of a 1st Gen from the front:
ford_sport_trac_2001_pickup_4d_497b.jpg

You have a 2nd Gen. First Gens are 01-05, while 2nd Gens are 07-10.

1st Gen were based on a Ranger frame
2nd Gen got their own frame.

Gen 1 Sport Trac: '01-'05
Gen 2 Sport Trac: '07-'10
There was no 2006 Sport Trac.

Gen 2 (visiting my parents in FL)

ST_In_FL.jpg

I really hope threads like this are a joke.

I agree. I was just being polite, but this thread should have stopped after GreenMando's first post or even after mine.

Gee guys, everybody has to start learning about new interests somewhere. What's it like to be born knowing everything?:rolleyes:

Since the OP has a 2007 maybe they mean a Job1 or Job 2. One of you tell me what production date that change-over took place? I'm a Gen 1 owner, so help ME out, huh?

Gee guys, everybody has to start learning about new interests somewhere. What's it like to be born knowing everything?:rolleyes:

Since the OP has a 2007 maybe they mean a Job1 or Job 2. One of you tell me what production date that change-over took place? I'm a Gen 1 owner, so help ME out, huh?

I believe thats what hes looking for, no need for the others to jump all over him. Not everyone knows the lingo:rolleyes:

To the OP, I dont know if any of this is for sure, but alot of early 07,s didnt have the roll down rear window and there is also something about them not having door pulls in the arm rest??, again Im not sure about this, theres proably a cut off date between job 1 and job2 as well.

Actually the title of the post says "1st Gen vs 2nd Gen 07 ST" I agree with toad.....

Okay, my Ford GURU says: "It looks like 2007 Job 1 was from 1/30/06 to 8/7/06" . Ford wiring diagrams list an early and late production for 2007 also, but no actual date is associated with that term that I can find .......yet. FWIW.

Well then from what I understand I have the "first gen" 07 model...because mine doesn't have the roll down back window, and has the weird pull handles on the door below the door handles

:ttiwwp::ttiwwp:

What's your production date?

Well then from what I understand I have the "first gen" 07 model...because mine doesn't have the roll down back window, and has the weird pull handles on the door below the door handles
I understand all '07's had the odd pull under the arm rest. My '08 has the odd pulls under the armrest only on the back doors. I have seen a few '08's without the roll down rear window.

My '08 has a build date of Aug. '07. It has the extra door pulls on the rear doors (only). Puzzling because they're not good for much of anything. Although it is an early production '08 it has a retractable rear window.
At the MySportTrac.com meet in Louisville last year I was parked next to a guy who had an early '07 with the fixed rear glass. The rear glass was a one-piece unit all the way across, so it's not like the early ones had the same window with a fixed middle section.

Other than the novelty of having an opening rear glass I personally find it of no use. :thumbdwn: In all of my previous pick-ups, if they were bought with a slider, I have swapped them out for solid glasses. If there was a screen for them then they would be okay but at any speed at all if you open it then all the leaves/dirt/crap that may be in the bed comes flying into the interior.:mad: If you have a tonneau cover then that helps. just my personal opinion/preference.;)

...but at any speed at all if you open it then all the leaves/dirt/crap that may be in the bed comes flying into the interior.:mad: If you have a tonneau cover then that helps. just my personal opinion/preference.;)

My old Ranger had a sliding rear window and that would always happen! :splat:

My Job 2 '07 had a build date of 12/18/06. IIRC I placed my order near the end of October 2006. The power rear window, which I ordered, was an option on Job 2 but was not available on Job 1. That is exactly why I waited until well after the Job 2's were out to place my order. The Job 2 also has the door pull handle on the front and rear doors along with a cut-out in the front armrests only, which was another reason why I waited. Would have been nice if they had reprogrammed the transmission shift patterns before then but that was fixed later under a TSB.

Back