Two probs on what so far has been an uber-reliable vehicle | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Two probs on what so far has been an uber-reliable vehicle

ArtistsRifles

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
London, England
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 UK Spec
Hi folks - long time no see/hear.

We just had two problems crop up on our '98 Explorer, literally with a couple of days of each other.

First off the RDS 7000 unit is showing an error of C5 when trying to use the CD multi-changer in the back.. I've tried to eject the magazine - but it won't work

Secondly , today, the central locking stopped working. I've checked the 30A fuse in the main fuse box under the bonnet and it is OK.

Anyone got any thoughts on what might be the causes here - are they related? are they things that can be fixed without having to resort to the mega expensive and, to date mega ignorant about Explorers, main dealer???

Oops - forgot to mention - a couple of months ago all the minor fuses started blowing followed by an alternator failure. Local garage replace the alternator with a recon unit and the blown uses and all was well (apart form the electric aerial - stays up now - is there a separate fuse for that somewhere?). Would that have any bearing on what's happened???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the cd changers i know of as i had the exact model in my previous mondeo, once they go thats it, only way to get ur cds out is to dismantle it. when you mean your central looking doesnt work, is that manually inside the car and remotly?

I bought a changer mounting kit from a guy for mine and he let me have a non working changer for free. When i got it open i found a bent lever somewhere at the back of it, something to do with the loading and eject mechanism. So i would suggest open it up and have a look.
The only problem is you have to remove the trim in the boot to get it out!

edit: Audio hanbook list E5 as "Internal fault, see your Ford Dealer"

the cd changers i know of as i had the exact model in my previous mondeo, once they go thats it, only way to get ur cds out is to dismantle it. when you mean your central looking doesnt work, is that manually inside the car and remotly?

Both! The lock/unlock switch in the car is not working, neither is the remote. there are no clicks etc. to show relays are tripping so it looks like a total system failure. I checked the 30A fuse under the bonnet - that is OK.

Is there something else that might need investigating??

Bummer about the CD changer - looks like I'll have to have a scour on e-Bay then.

Thanks for the help so far!!

Both! The lock/unlock switch in the car is not working, neither is the remote. there are no clicks etc. to show relays are tripping so it looks like a total system failure. I checked the 30A fuse under the bonnet - that is OK.

Is there something else that might need investigating??

Bummer about the CD changer - looks like I'll have to have a scour on e-Bay then.

Thanks for the help so far!!

Like i said open up the old one first and have a look as i sorted mine in about an hour.
As for the central locking i remember reading something about a wiring joint just ahead of one of the rear wheel arches that can be prone to damage from moisture, might be applicable to your problem tho it could just be a relay!

Sounds like you may still have a blown fuse. Did the garage check the auxiliary fuse box in the dash next to the drivers door? No. 18 also does the central locking.

There are few points in the circuit that could cause no locking or unlocking as they are seperate relays. One is Fuse 18 in the aux fuse box (Howard's suggestion), one is the power cable to the relay box (Jan's suggestion) and the other is the relay box earth (my contribution!). Good luck. GRoB.

Thanks every one - Howard nailed the central locking problem, fuse 18 in the auxiliary panel had indeed blown. Checking the owners handbook it doesn't refer to that fuse being a part of the C/L system though - some one in Fords Tech Pubs division goofed!!

Not got time to get the auto-changer outright now - off to the W&P show down in Kent for a week tomorrow - so will have a look when I get back.

One other thought - is there an in-line fuse for the power aerial? All the other fuses in the Aux and Main boxes are intact but the aerial is fixed in the "up" position (better than being stuck down I guess) and there is no sound from the motor when turning the radio off or on.

Check Fuse 1 and Fuse 28. GRoB.

OK - back from a week doing things to the countryside in tracked armour that I fear an Explorer can but dream of!! :)

We now have a replacement auto-changer to fit thanks to a member here as well as 10A fuses for the wing mirrors (#1 I believe?). However - heading home tonight from Kent I noticed the warning light for the self levelling suspension coming on - then going off - then coming on - so I guess that is where the next problem will be!! :(

OK - back from a week doing things to the countryside in tracked armour that I fear an Explorer can but dream of!! :)

We now have a replacement auto-changer to fit thanks to a member here as well as 10A fuses for the wing mirrors (#1 I believe?). However - heading home tonight from Kent I noticed the warning light for the self levelling suspension coming on - then going off - then coming on - so I guess that is where the next problem will be!! :(

Check the load sensor on the rear axle is still attached properly. Mine had a habit of popping off.

Many thanks - will have a nose this weekend!!

Not had much chance to have a play around as things have gone pear-shaped in multiple ways for me thus far...
But - as an update to the warning light for the self-levelling suspension I have noted one interesting fact. Running solo we are fine, it never comes on. When we hitch up the caravan we are OK for maybe 40 or 50 miles or so - then it comes on.. Unhitch the van on arrival at the destination, switch off and then on again and hey presto - no more warning light till we hook up the van again. Is there some sort of sensor that might be affected by the nose-weight of the caravan???

Thats a sign that towing a caravan is not what God intended for us :p

Well - if I don't use the Explorer both the Plod and the eco-nutters get very pee'd off when 9 tons of Stalwart HMLC doing 2.5m mpg of petrol is used.
Come to think of it - the wife and bank manager ain't too happy about it either!! :cool:

Back