Axle swap

gird123

Reaction score
City, State
carson city, nv
Year, Model & Trim Level
Sport Trac 2001
Hi,

I'm hoping to do an axle swap in about a year. I'm looking for a Wagoner dana 44 or earl bronco. I have read chad551's swap(very cool) I'm planning on doing every thing similar to him. Any reading or suggestions would be appreciated. I'm starting this now so i can update as i find things i need. The wife's number one requirement is that it does not effect the bank account.

Nate

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Early Bronco rear were not D44's, they were 9" and 8.8". A 8.8" rear is in all regards that of a D44, just as or even stronger than a D44.. 8.8 rears are found everywhere. I am buying one now for my SAS/SOA swap and build. I already have the D44 HP front axle housing and I am purchasing a whole 8.8 setup out of a 93 F-150.

The Ford 9" and Ford 8.8" axles are popular choices. The venerable Ford 9" has been around for decades, and, like the Dana 44, it comes in many flavors. It's primary features are the strong nine inch ring gear, a very low pinion, and removable-third-member design. Again, there are many variations of this axle, so do your research before buying.
The Ford 8.8" might be a better choice. A possible negative to the 8.8" is its c-clip axle design, which means (like the Dana 35) that the axle is held in place by c-clips at the differential, not by an outer axle flange. If your axle breaks, your wheel will come off! The Dana 44, in contrast, does not use a c-clip, so you're not completely stuck by a broken axle, but it's not a full-floating axle, either. A semi-floating axle, like the 44, can be driven a little way if broken, but not far. If there's a chance you'll break an axle, no matter which design, you should carry spares.

Early Bronco rear were not D44's, they were 9" and 8.8".
think you have that wrong, and i think the OP is talking about the front ;)

I thought he was talking about the rear axle, must of misread it.

On that note, early Bronco did come with D44 thru 79 yr as we all know. So yes a good choice as that is what I bought for my SAS soon, still collecting my parts needed for a complete swap.

Just FYI, the 1st-gen Bronco that's typically referred to as the "early Bronco" (a.k.a. "shoebox" Bronco) ended production after 1977. So even though 2nd & 3rd-gen Broncos built after that year still had D44s up front, there are big differences between them (they are 6" wider, have larger u-joints, use reverse-spiral R&P gears, and in the case of the 3rd-gens, are TTB).
Additionally, the Bronco actually started life with a D30. It was midway through the '71 model it got the D44 (though it didn't get disc brakes until '76).

Back