Are stock low beam headlights to bright or misaligned? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Are stock low beam headlights to bright or misaligned?

new to ford

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester Hills, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
11XLT202A 17Sport401A
I noticed that while driving at night on single lane back roads, I have been getting a lot of "low beam" requests from in-coming vehicles, even though while driving with low beams. Once I flash them with the high beam, they realize that I have the low beams on. Just wondering if all ex low beams are too bright or maybe my headlights are misaligned. Anybody else experienced this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the limited with HIDs and had to adjust my headlights for the reason you mention.

HIDs were easy to adjust! They only adjust vertically not horizontally.

Definitely a possibility, maybe drive another friends/family vehicle, and have someone drive your X towards you at night with the headlights on; see if they are too high, or maybe your just getting flashed by some lowrider ricers dragging on the ground :p:

Shouldnt be too hard to aim though, cant imagine it being much (if any) different than the HID option like mentioned above.

Pull up to a wall, parked on a level surface and have the lights on so you can see when your aiming them that they're both level.

My lights are aimed a bit low. I can't see the road ahead sometimes because it's not shining very far. I have no HIDs though.

I noticed that while driving at night on single lane back roads, I have been getting a lot of "low beam" requests from in-coming vehicles, even though while driving with low beams. Once I flash them with the high beam, they realize that I have the low beams on. Just wondering if all ex low beams are too bright or maybe my headlights are misaligned. Anybody else experienced this?

You have a 2011 Explorer? I doubt that the lights are misaligned, but it's always a possibility. I couldn't find it on the Ford site, but do you have HID lamps? Those are a bit brighter. I don't remember the distance, but park on a level surface with a wall in front of you. You can likely google the info for distance and height - and the lights should be hit a certain height.

Lots of people are getting used to dimmer headlights and so newer and brighter ones make them believe you have the highbeams on.

You have a 2011 Explorer? I doubt that the lights are misaligned, but it's always a possibility. I couldn't find it on the Ford site, but do you have HID lamps? Those are a bit brighter. I don't remember the distance, but park on a level surface with a wall in front of you. You can likely google the info for distance and height - and the lights should be hit a certain height.

Lots of people are getting used to dimmer headlights and so newer and brighter ones make them believe you have the highbeams on.
yes, I do have a 2011 explorer, I do not have HID.But you might be correct that newer headlamps are brighter.

yes, I do have a 2011 explorer, I do not have HID.But you might be correct that newer headlamps are brighter.

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the bulbs practically shining in high beam mode? It's a little thing inside the lens that moves away for all the light to shine right?

You "could" say that but theyre just a single element bulb. When you flip the high beams on, it just raises a little "shield" (AKA cutoff) inside of the projector, nothing with the bulb itself actually changes.

The bulbs might be a bit brighter, the vehicle sits higher than sedans/non SUVs, the lenses haven't seen enough time to become oxidized, ... lots of potential suspects here.

EDIT: woo hooo... my signature works!

The manual has very precise information and distance/measurements for aiming the headlights.

HIDs were 25' out from the wall but there was additional steps/measurements to check.

i just received my 2011 XLT but I understand that the headlights are not aligned correctly. The left headlight OK but the right one is lower and pointing center. Is this the correct alignment? This is my first ford explorer. Previous car BMW with HID.

Low Beams too high

I get flashed all the time by cars coming the other way asking to turn off my high beams, but they are not on. I get flashed so much, when I drive at night, I keep my hand on the high beam indicator. I got flashed 3 times in a 2 mile stretch and 6 times in a 10 mile stretch. It was the same on my 2013 Ford Explorer as well. I'm looking to have them adjusted after seeing others are having the same issues. My sister driving home in front of me said she couldn't see because my lights were so bright. I told her I didn't have my bright lights on, just my low beams....

I get flashed all the time by cars coming the other way asking to turn off my high beams, but they are not on. I get flashed so much, when I drive at night, I keep my hand on the high beam indicator. I got flashed 3 times in a 2 mile stretch and 6 times in a 10 mile stretch. It was the same on my 2013 Ford Explorer as well. I'm looking to have them adjusted after seeing others are having the same issues. My sister driving home in front of me said she couldn't see because my lights were so bright. I told her I didn't have my bright lights on, just my low beams....
The headlamps are adjustable vertically only. The procedure is covered in your Manual as is a picture of the pattern they should make.

Peter

Thanks Peter, I will look into doing this this afternoon.

I was never "flashed" with my 13 with stock and HID conversion and haven't been flashed with my 16 with the LED OEM headlamps

a quick google search will reveal a case where a teenager was shot after flashing an oncoming police cruiser.

I seem to recall another article I read concerning a police officer who was using the misaligned headlights on his explorer cruiser as "click bait". He knew the lights were misaligned, but rather than correct the problem he pulled over and ticketed folks who flashed him.

I cannot find that article now though.

Yep. I get flashed all the time too in my 2011 with halogens.

Have not motivated to look in to readjusting the headlights. I will note I get flashed by both sedans and higher up SUV's, so not sure what I even need to do to fix this. Aim them straight up?

I was flashed 3 times this morning in 1 mile. Got my owners manual out and will be doing this tomorrow evening. When I put my high beams on, there really isn't much difference. I can see why people are flashing me....I too seen the video of the 17 year old shot 7 times by officer Grant and tazed because the teenager flashed the oncoming car to turn off high beams. The officer spun around and pulled him over, after 4 mins the officer admitted the new Ford had higher than normal low beams and was flashed by three other drivers before pulling this kid over.

Back