• Register Today It's free!

Flywheel Problem

chris223401

Reaction score
City, State
Grant Park Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 xlt
Hi i am thinking about buying a 1997 ford explorer with the 4.0 Efi from my buddy. At first he thought the trans was shot but he took it to his mechianic and found out it was the flywheel. It makes a grinding or a more high pitched slipping sound (very hard to describe the sound). So i am wondering if there is any theads on how to change the flywheel or if the problem is in the transmission. If you guys could help me i would really appreciate it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Torque Converter?

Maybe he means the torque converter? I don't know. had trouble with mine, and it was also a strange sound.

Is that an automatic or a manual transmission? Only manuals uses a flywheel.
Automatics use a flexplate, and if so, your buddy probably meant the torque converter. In either case, the transmission has to come out before those can be replaced.

Hi i am thinking about buying a 1997 ford explorer with the 4.0 Efi from my buddy. At first he thought the trans was shot but he took it to his mechianic and found out it was the flywheel. It makes a grinding or a more high pitched slipping sound (very hard to describe the sound). So i am wondering if there is any theads on how to change the flywheel or if the problem is in the transmission. If you guys could help me i would really appreciate it.

It is a automatic trans ... I guess I will out .... I bought it today going to pick it up tommorow and maybe when I get some time off of work I will tear into it. I will post pics or try to see what's wrong and let you guys know .... Unless I get to frustrated with it and tow it into my mechanic.

Okay so i ave no idea whats wrong now .... it still has the same problems as before but evry once in a while it grinds in reverse .... can someone help me please?

Since the weather was hot today I got time to figure out what's wrong ... I no longer think it's the flywheel ... I think it's a solenoid that controls the shifting .. Because I found out that every once in a while when you put it in reverse it grinds like something isn't engaging ... So I found a decent used transfer case and I'm going to try that and hope it fixes the problem

Someone posted on here yesterday that they fixed their reverse grinding by making an adjustment of some kind (cable, I think)...just a thought.

Back