• Register Today It's free!

I Got one Heck of a Problem

Speedytech7

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer XLT
Recently I had to replace my 1997 XLT Ford Explorer's battery, the old one refused to charge and me being broke I decided to go buy a battery that was a bit smaller and cheaper (but still starts the car just fine). This is just the point where my EX started to malfunction. About a week later I went on a camping with it and as I exited the highway I felt it shudder and sputter a bit (it did not stall. I decided it had had a senior moment and went on with the trip convincing myself the car is still in tip top shape. When I was driving the EX on the dirt camping roads I noticed that when I put my foot on the brake lightly or at medium pressure, the car would lurch forward slightly and the RPMs would go up a bit. At this point I realized something was definately wrong but continued on anyway. I was on the dirt road still and had gone by my camping grounds and needed to turn around, I began a three point turn when the car started to shudder and sputter again. As I entered reverse it cut out and almopst gave me a heart attack as I raced to put more pressure on the powerless brakes. I put it in park and started the EX back up and headed back to my camp grounds. Jump forward three days and you have me back home with the EX still having the issue. Today it stalled at a stop light while slowing down and again at another one.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check for vacuum leaks.

Mabey... But

I was thinking that too, but I would like to know your basis for thinking that would be the issue. It is a puzzler for me because the idle is magnificent... it a perfect 650 RPM, as it should be on this vehicle.

Heck of a problem

My '93 started acting like you described and I took the electrical plug off the Mass Air Flow sensor and ran it around like that for a while. With the MAF out of the picture the ECM goes to default settings and runs. The mileage goes down but at least it runs. I have tried the cleaner and even the vinegar trick on the MAF but it still acts up, especially in reverse. You may want to try taking the MAF plug off for trouble shooting purposes. Good Luck

Good Idea

Good idea FLwireman, that actually seems quite possible, those have a history of going bad... didn't even think of it. I'll give it a shot.

Could be a battery cable problem. I had a few days of sputter and bad running before I realized I could recreate the problem by wiggling the + battery wire at the post. I cut the old rotten head off and spliced it back 1 inch to bare metal and put a new $5 replacement clamp on it. My last charging problem had to do with this same issue, 2 exes and both + and - battery cables rotted out.

Stalling

I was thinking that too, but I would like to know your basis for thinking that would be the issue. It is a puzzler for me because the idle is magnificent... it a perfect 650 RPM, as it should be on this vehicle.

The reason I had mentioned the vacuum leaks, that is only because I had a lot of trouble with the stalling when coming up to a traffic light. It was a hose I had knocked off, easy fix for free.

Perhaps that's it

Drdoom, that seems very possible can you tell me which hose was the culprit and where it was located in the engine compartment. Thanks:thumbsup:

i have an 86 ranger that would do those similar things, my timing was off a little, on track enough to keep running, but off enough that you could defiantly tell something was screwed up. i would check timing, and maybe clean throttle body as well.

Drdoom, that seems very possible can you tell me which hose was the culprit and where it was located in the engine compartment. Thanks:thumbsup:

If you have the 4.0L SOHC the vacuum leak is most likely the PCV valve.
On my 98 the larger hose got loose from old age and started a vacuum leak.
Created all the problems you are talking about, check that!

Bob

The one I knocked loose went to the IAC valve, and is located under that big plastic cover on the engine intake.

do the "standard vacuum leak" test using either carb cleaner or start fluid (more dangerous) around the engine to locate the source of the leak.

Different vehicle, but my daughter's 2000 Contour was acting the same way and the fix was a bad IAC. Replaced it and it runs like new.

Back