• Register Today It's free!

Trans blew dolly home ?

zero_psi

Reaction score
City, State
mi b hills
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 xlt svt
Trans on my 93 decided to spew all it's fluid everywhere. Car was flatbedd to the dealer and I have to go pick it up tommarow it's about 120 miles away and I was wondering what's the best way to dolly it home and how do I do it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You could dolly if its 2 wheel drive and you tow with front wheels on ground. Can't really keep front tires from turning though. Could dolly with rear wheels on ground if you want a good and destroyed trans. Seriously, you need all 4 wheels off the ground unless you remove the rear driveshaft.

Trans is destroyed aka why I'm not uP north and I'll just disconnect the shaft at the rear axle I'm not paying 100s of dallors to het her flat beded back

When you pull the rear shaft, pull it from the axle side and use bailing wire/etc to hold it up.

In "theory" you could pull the shift motor off the transfer case and shift it into neutral manually which would keep the trans from seeing anything spinning.

~Mark

When you pull the rear shaft, pull it from the axle side and use bailing wire/etc to hold it up.

In "theory" you could pull the shift motor off the transfer case and shift it into neutral manually which would keep the trans from seeing anything spinning.

~Mark

Yep that's the plan thanks for the help Manuel swap will be next :) hope theres a how 2 some where lol

What was the conditions of the fluid release? The A4LD will puke its fluid out if it overheats, but after a few hours the seal will slip back into place and allow you to refill the tranny, and it'll run fine again. Mine once puked its fluid out after many hours of hard driving, and after refilling it with fluid it has been operating just fine for the past two years.

I'm pulling it drive shaft and all I couldebt getthe u joints or transfer case undone cars in neutral with back wheels on the ground

Yep that's the plan thanks for the help Manuel swap will be next :) hope theres a how 2 some where lol

yes there is at least 2 write ups on manual swaps. The main one I know of is Foxracin. <-- his user name, search it.... the write up I'm thinking of pretty decent for a beginner.

There could be more write ups. But I am unaware of them.

yes there is at least 2 write ups on manual swaps. The main one I know of is Foxracin. <-- his user name, search it.... the write up I'm thinking of pretty decent for a beginner.

There could be more write ups. But I am unaware of them.

Yeah I'm gonna keep a look out at the junk yard for a Manuel computer pedle set and a master cylinder and trans I'll buy a.new clutch and fly wheel

Yeah I'm gonna keep a look out at the junk yard for a Manuel computer pedle set and a master cylinder and trans I'll buy a.new clutch and fly wheel

If you look hard enough you might be able to find a good clutch/ flywheel with the manual trans. The ONLY thing that is stressed and verified by many others on here, buy a MOTORCRAFT slave cylinder. There is a vendor on here (fordsvtparts) can prob help you out with that.

Scour the local CL to you, see if you can stumble on a manual x. OR if you find a 4.0 ranger all your parts are the same.... keep in mind on the ranger 4.0 only. (clutch for sure, trans unsure if any others swap).

Seeing that your in the rust belt finding a rotted carcass with a decent drive line, might be possible.

Yeah I may just have mine rebuilt I don't think anything exploded aka metal breaking I just think when I was doing 70 and all the fluid shot out it just roasted the disks. Cause it shuttered for like 3 seconds then I lost all drive power and rolled to the side of I 75. And as far as the tow home I put it in neutral and left it in 2wd it was about a 70 mile tow and transfer case got a tad warm but all seemed ok any thoughts

If I do get it rebuilt ams oil and a very large trans cooler will be installed :)

so will any a4dl trans work im trying to find what years i can use. mines a 93 but i was wondering if any of u knew which year and model i can use. also i saw some talk of a 2wd trans and a 4wd trans is there anything difference i thought the trans was the same and there was just the transfercase? and whats the trans code for the manuel trans and what rangers can i pull one from aka years and did rangers have the a4dl trans aswell?

sorry for all the questions i just want to get my truck back up and running i hate having to bike 20 miles in 90 degree heat :(

I'd first check if your tranny is actually shot... fill it up with some cheap tranny fluid i.e. parts store brand and see what happens. My tranny puked the same exact way as yours and it was fine after a refill. With the motor running I simply kept pouring quart after quart into it and it became more and more responsive until it was back to its normal self, and has been fine since.

If it is truly shot, a 91-94 Explorer auto trans will fit. 94 would be best. Year by year they got minor upgrades and 94 had all of them. Yes some Rangers had the A4LD. An automatic 91-92 with a 4.0 should have the A4LD. I don't know the exact Ranger compatibility so someone else should chime in on what other years had an A4LD.

2WD and 4WD transmissions have different tailshafts. It is not really time or cost effective to swap the tailshaft between a 2WD and 4WD trans so get the right one for your vehicle unless it's a smoking deal and you don't mind tearing both transmissions apart.

If replacing with a used transmission consider replacing common wear items while it's out, i.e. the governor and vacuum modulator, and valve body mods if you feel up to it. Also try to use a new torque converter.

A junkyard 94 tranny may be fine if you're on the cheap, provided you check it out first for indicators of recent service and easy life. On the other end of the cost spectrum is the Performance A4LD from PATC for $1865, which would be a bolt in and heavily upgraded unit. http://www.transmissioncenter.org/a4ld.htm

deff going the cheapest route ill try the cheap fluid tomorrow and then chime in

Ok, just pour in about 5 quarts to start with, start the engine and leave it running as you add quarts gradually. The torque converter takes a while to fill up. On mine it took about a half hour and something like 12 quarts of fluid before it was acting right, though I don't remember if I had to drain some off later.

it took 5 quarts and then peed about 1 out i was able to drive up the street and check the fluid lvl and its a little to full. its not leaking anything im just afraid to drive it down the street further. i did fill it with amsoil :) and i ordered a larger trans cooler so im gonna run 2 i touched the trans cooler after i drove down the street and it was really hot so...

Give it time to run the fluid through it... it will take up to 20 mins of driving to get the fluid up to running temperature too, at which point is where you'd have the most accurate measurement of how full it is. The level may fluctuate a little for a while but will even out with driving it.

The stock cooler is okay for cooler states, but in hotter states like the south it is not adequate for towing or even traffic jams. I would look into putting in a tranny temp gauge. I drilled a hole in my tranny pan for the sensor and it doubles as a drain plug.

after a while i flushed the trans 2 times changed the filter and now are running a ams oil redline mix of aft. and 2 flex a lite trans coolers. after a hour drive in 90 degree weather i can rest my hand on the coolers :)
thanks for everything

Good to hear it! Another A4LD cheats death! :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back