• Register Today It's free!

Steering wheel is crooked.

Samy

Reaction score
City, State
New Orleans
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 sport
My 98 explorer sport has always had a steering wheel thats not straight when Im driving straight, I just had ball joints replaced and it's even worse (as much as 30 degrees).I don't think an alignment will correct something this much off. After I get the front end aligned can I take the steering wheel off and reset it straight?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

when the steering wheel is straight im assuming the wheels are not....?

You may have to unbolt the steering shaft and re-center it. Not hard just another inconvenience.... Anyone else have any ideas?

1. Jack up the truck so that both front tires are off the ground and you can turn from lock to lock.

2. Center steering wheel.

3. Loosen the jam nuts on the drag link (Drag link goes from pitman arm to tie-rod, tie-rod goes from knuckle to knuckle).

4. Spin drag link tubing in one direction or the other until tires are both staight.

Should center the steering wheel.

If your toe is off you need remove the joints on the kunckles to be able to adjust them since the steering block will prevent you from merely turning the tubing

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the stock 95-01 section. Always disconnect the battery, and wait a minimum of 10 minutes before you work on an air bag equipped steering column.

Have the front end aligned.

Unless somebody screwed with the steering column (which I doubt) it's all related to the front end alignment or even possible the rear axle tracking. (the crab walk)

1. Jack up the truck so that both front tires are off the ground and you can turn from lock to lock.

2. Center steering wheel.

3. Loosen the jam nuts on the drag link (Drag link goes from pitman arm to tie-rod, tie-rod goes from knuckle to knuckle).

4. Spin drag link tubing in one direction or the other until tires are both staight.

Should center the steering wheel.

If your toe is off you need remove the joints on the kunckles to be able to adjust them since the steering block will prevent you from merely turning the tubing

Umm, where is the drag link on a 98 explorer? And where is this pitman arm you speak of?

My 98 explorer sport has always had a steering wheel thats not straight when Im driving straight, I just had ball joints replaced and it's even worse (as much as 30 degrees).I don't think an alignment will correct something this much off. After I get the front end aligned can I take the steering wheel off and reset it straight?

An alignment shop will center you steering for you.--if they do their job right.

An alignment shop will center you steering for you.--if they do their job right.

Thats the key.. "If they do their job right". I have yet to find a shop in town that will do the job right. My old alignment shop (150 miles away) no longer has the tech I want to use (he wasn't getting paid enough, so he moved on)..

I have since started doing my own alignments. I've even setCamber thanks to the SPC 91000. It is slow going for the first few alignments but I have gotten faster at it (still take me > 1 hour) but I know its done right.

~Mark

Back