Should I Replace This Upper Ball Joint? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Should I Replace This Upper Ball Joint?

gt183

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 XLT
I was replacing my brakes over the weekend, and noticed that one of my Upper Ball Joints had a small tear in it. Does this justify replacing it?

img20110701151058.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just bought a low mileage (49k) 2002 Explorer that has the rubber boots deteriorated on an otherwise perfectly functioning upper ball joint. I found some rubber boots online and will be trying to replace the old ones with them. If you can find something that functions close to the original rubber boots then you may not need to replace them. I plan to load the new boots with grease to add another layer of protection to the joint.

Clean up the area with paper towel and put some RTV on it :)

7160113_ptx_81158_pri_detl.jpg

the joints as you can see, are non serviceable, cant add grease to them, the boot, is to prevent water, dirt from getting in and grease out.

with the boot ripped, who know long, you dont know what got in and what got out.

with that said, just keep an eye on it, till you do need joint.....

Get the ball joints (replace both sides) and put it on the to-do list. It is much easier to do preventive maintenance when you have fair warning like this, than it is to do the repair after the joint fails. It is not a tough job to complete.

THink i should replace mine maybe?

004-2.jpg

021.jpg

Hey how did you get pics of my ball joints?

My game plan. WHEN IN DOUBT REPLACE IT. Better to do the job at your leisure than when it interrupts your other plans. Feel lucky that boots are a low cost prevention and you would not have asked if it didn't give you a concern.

Boots

:rangertan::rangertan::rangertan::exp:
My game plan. WHEN IN DOUBT REPLACE IT. Better to do the job at your leisure than when it interrupts your other plans. Feel lucky that boots are a low cost prevention and you would not have asked if it didn't give you a concern.

Back