Is BLIS integrated into the MFT software? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is BLIS integrated into the MFT software?

Forkmachine

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited
Hey all,

I am kicking myself because I have become so reliant on BLIS that I didn't look over my shoulder like I always used to do, which is something I promised myself would never happen. Anyway, BLIS was apparently not working today and I nearly side-swiped a defenseless VW Passat. Fortunately, it didn't happen but I am now nervous, not to mention a bit angry at myself and my X.

I guess my question is, does anybody know if (or how much) the BLIS system is integrated into the MFT software?

The reason I ask is that I am still running 2.4 (and biting my tongue every time it freezes, disconnects my USB, has a blank screen, resets, etc.) so that I can update when 2.11 comes out. I am hoping the answer is yes and that 2.11 will improve the reliability of BLIS in addition to fixing the other issues most of us are having with MFT.

Hopefully I have learned something from a near-miss and will remember not to trust any technology to replace my defensive driving skills.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am not aware that the BLIS system and MFT are true integrated. My understanding is that BLIS is the side radar sensors on our truck, and is part of the overall radar system (front, back and sides) for all the safety and automated parking system. The only connection I can think of is the auto parking feature.

I personally have never had a failure on my BLIS system, but from my understanding, and actually seeing a failure on an MKX when I was test driving, the system detects a failure or obstruction, turns on both mirror indicators and gives you a warning that must be cleared on the screen.

A trip to the dealer is my recommenation, as it sounds like your BLIS sensor(s) is not obstructed (usual error), but some part of the system is failing. I don't beleive that MFT software manages this system, and I don't beleive that 2.11 is going to help with this issue.

Funny you posted this because I was wondering the same thing.

Why? Because I had nearly the same thing happening.

I'm sure, in the long run, BLIS is merely a safety tool to assist you, and not meant to replace common sense driving. Stated a different way, we're not flying via instruments (yet). Visual cues and landmarks still needed!

I guess my question is, does anybody know if (or how much) the BLIS system is integrated into the MFT software?

BLIS is not integrated into MFT.

I looked in the Explorer Owner Guide and found this:

BLIS detection limitations: Due to the nature of radar technology,
there may be certain instances where vehicles entering and exiting the
blind spot zones may not be detected. Below is a list of circumstances
that may cause non-detection:
• Debris build-up on the rear quarter panel fascias
• Certain maneuvering of vehicles entering and exiting the blind zone
• Vehicles passing through the blind zone at very fast rates
• Severe weather conditions
• When several vehicles forming a convoy pass through the blind zone.

I'm not sure if any of these were happening while you were driving, but it's good to know information.

Rebecca

IVT Team, are BLIS and Auto Cruise Control items that are updated and tweaked on new models, like would the 2012 be more optimize than the 2011? Or are they exactly the same?

I have had one instance where I was driving and noticed the BLIS was not working. I used the left steering wheel control to deactivate BLIS and the Activate it. Once I did that it started working again.

BLIS questions

I am interested in BLIS on a 2012 explorer and have 3 questions

1) Does it work well, and worth the extra $?
2) Will it be available on the 2012 base model, or on the XLT/Limited only?
3) Can it be added stand alone, or is it only bundled in other expensive packages?

Thanks!

1) Yes and Yes
2) No
3) Comes bundled with inflatable seat belts in second row.

While you are on BLIS. Is anyone aware of a problem with the 2012 system? We have a 2012 ordered and when I checked with the dealer to see if they had a build date yet, they said no. I was told via email the problem was with the BLIS

Back