2011 - 2018 Explorer Power Steering Issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Locustlanefarms

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 limited
Has anyone had a power steering assist fault code show up? It has happened to me about a dozen times and you have no power steering when it does. Most of the time it can be killed and re-started and it will reset, but today it will not reset and I'm 2 hours from home having to man-handle it. Any help or suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Has anyone else lost power steering in their new Ex? I bought mine in January and had no problems for several months. Recently, when starting the vehicle the "Power Steering Assist Fault" warning started coming on. After turning off the ignition and re-starting the engine, the warning went away and I regained power steering. About 10 days ago, I started it and the same "Power Steering Assist Fault" warning stayed on - even after recycling the engine. The "Service Advance Trac" warning also stayed on and I lost the Terrain Management function. Unreal! My truck has been at the dealer since 6/13. They checked everything and talked to Ford "engineers." I think they just gave up trying to figure it out and decided to order a new "Powersteering Rack." Still waiting for the part...

This is obviously not a minor fix on a new car. Regretting my purchase after this happened and reading other problems others are having, overheating, A-Pillar, etc., etc. Rattles are one thing, dangerous defective parts are another. Anyone have a similar experience?

I had the exact same problem with the Power Steering Assist Fault warning coming on immediately after starting the truck. Happened every few days or so for about a month. About 10 days ago, the Power Steering Assist Fault warning came on and stayed on. I previously was doing the same thing as you, I turned off the ignition and re-started the truck and the warning would go off. 10 days ago the warning stayed on and then the "Service Advance Trac" warning also came on. I also lost the Terrain Management function. My X has been at the dealership since 6/13. They checked all the codes and could not figure why the warnings were coming on. They decided to order a new Powersteering Rack. The part is on back order. I have been without my truck since then. Very frustrating.

Over all it's a great explorer ilove it. But have in mind that when buying an all new vehicle redisigned there will be many issues its sad to say but it takes a year cycle to get the glitches bugs fixed. So dont be sad or regret buying it it an awesome explorer sorry that you have these issues but i took a gamble also i mostly never buy first year vehicles but i love the explorer i had 2002,2006,2011, and had issues with them wbut once they were fixed they were all fine,so ihope your issues get fixed and you live happly ever after lol. Wish you the best !!!

My dealer has had it 2 days now and said they have no idea nor have they heard of this problem before. They gave me a loaner and said it could take awhile to figure out. Love the ride but this makes me mad

MTN, that must have been unsettling to have this happen with your Explorer, and I’m sorry to hear you’re still waiting for the part. I’d like to have your issue reviewed by escalating your concern. Would you mind sending a PM with your VIN, approximate mileage, and dealer name?

Cory

I'm unfamiliar with the new Explorer but does it have electric power steering now or is it still pulley driven?

Electric Power Steering

Electronic Power-Assisted Steering (EPAS)

My new Powersteering Rack is finally in and they are supposedly putting it in this morning. Did your "Service Advance Track" warning also simultanously go off? Did your Power Steering Assist Fault warning stay on - all the way to the dealership? Mine did. I have this feeling that I will get my truck back in the next day or so and things will go haywire again. I too would rather them "find" the problem rather than just start replacing parts hoping it solves the issue.

We'll see... let me know what your dealer decides to do. I will be very interested to hear if they conclude you also need a new Powersteering rack.

Thats what I figured. I had one of those go out on a vehicle I was servicing (nissan sentra 2009) and the car had to be limped back to the dealer and have the magnets realigned or something

My advance track warning did not come on, just the power steering assist fault. It did stay on all the way to dealership with no power steering at all. They called me the next day and said "this could take a while" they had never heard of this problem and had no idea what to do. How did your repair go? Has it "stayed fixed"?

Got the truck back Thursday night. New powersteering rack was installed and everything is fine. No warning has re-appeared. Very strange. All is well for now. Good luck, let me know what your dealer decides.

Well, well... my wife had the power steering go out on her on our 2011. One difference, she WAS DRIVING IT WHEN IT DID IT!!! 2 weeks ago she heard a "BING" and a warning in the left dash screen showed a "POWER STEERING FAILURE" as she was driving. It also gave her a icon or symbol similar to a roll-over warning (an SUV on 2 wheels???). She tried to move the steering and it was locked as she was going 40+ MPH on a interstate road. Lucky thing, there was traffic and she had to drive slow, so she was only doing 40 and not 60 or more. She had a curve coming up and rode it to the emergency lane where she stopped. With common sense, she turned the truck off and then back on and it was all back to normal. She drove the rest of the 5 miles home with no problems.

We took the truck to the Ford dealer where we bought it a few months back and as you might know by now, NOTHING. Tests and checks and so called e-mails and calls to Detriot, but no answer to what it might be. All we got was a "If it happens again, leave the truck on and call us". All they did is reset the warnings and the keys since I kept getting a warning when I drove it and not when my wife had her key in it.

Now we are waiting for either a Ford recall or for it to happen to us again. Love the truck, but we are a little worried when we need to drive it. I don't feel too safe to think anytime soon the steering wheel will lock as we are driving and won't be able to turn left or right. I hope it happens in a straight road so we wont run off the road.

That sounds... really unlikely. Even if the power steering failed, you would still be able to turn the wheel, especially when moving at those speeds. Hell, the difference between power steering and no power steering at those speeds would be fairly small in terms of controlling the vehicle. Now below 5 MPH, ugh.

It seems more like the steering wheel lock engaged as it would if the vehicle was in park, if this event happened at all. I would imagine if that were the case then it could happen on any vehicle of any make since those locks have been on any vehicle I have ever driven in the past couple decades.

Good that everyone is safe, but if it did happen, I wouldn't be any more afraid of it happening again as I would in any vehicle, that sounds like a fluke. A scary fluke, but not something Ford would issue a recall over.

Well, well... my wife had the power steering go out on her on our 2011. One difference, she WAS DRIVING IT WHEN IT DID IT!!! 2 weeks ago she heard a "BING" and a warning in the left dash screen showed a "POWER STEERING FAILURE" as she was driving. It also gave her a icon or symbol similar to a roll-over warning (an SUV on 2 wheels???). She tried to move the steering and it was locked as she was going 40+ MPH on a interstate road. Lucky thing, there was traffic and she had to drive slow, so she was only doing 40 and not 60 or more. She had a curve coming up and rode it to the emergency lane where she stopped. With common sense, she turned the truck off and then back on and it was all back to normal. She drove the rest of the 5 miles home with no problems.

We took the truck to the Ford dealer where we bought it a few months back and as you might know by now, NOTHING. Tests and checks and so called e-mails and calls to Detriot, but no answer to what it might be. All we got was a "If it happens again, leave the truck on and call us". All they did is reset the warnings and the keys since I kept getting a warning when I drove it and not when my wife had her key in it.

Now we are waiting for either a Ford recall or for it to happen to us again. Love the truck, but we are a little worried when we need to drive it. I don't feel too safe to think anytime soon the steering wheel will lock as we are driving and won't be able to turn left or right. I hope it happens in a straight road so we wont run off the road.
I’m really glad everyone is OK 2011 Explorer. I received your private message and I sent you back a response with more information. If you haven’t already, please check your inbox for the details.

Cory

That sounds... really unlikely. Even if the power steering failed, you would still be able to turn the wheel, especially when moving at those speeds. Hell, the difference between power steering and no power steering at those speeds would be fairly small in terms of controlling the vehicle. Now below 5 MPH, ugh.

It seems more like the steering wheel lock engaged as it would if the vehicle was in park, if this event happened at all. I would imagine if that were the case then it could happen on any vehicle of any make since those locks have been on any vehicle I have ever driven in the past couple decades.

Good that everyone is safe, but if it did happen, I wouldn't be any more afraid of it happening again as I would in any vehicle, that sounds like a fluke. A scary fluke, but not something Ford would issue a recall over.

I would say it's entirely possible. If I remember right, the steering on the 2011 Ex is all electronic. There is no power steering pump, etc involved as on cars of old. One little electronic/computer glitch and the steering is gone. I will take glitches in MFT all day long, but the fact that the steering is all electronic still makes me nervous. You are exactly right, past cars with power steering pumps and all you would still be able to steer if the pump failed, it would just be more difficult to turn the wheel. If the electronics that run the Ex's steering go haywire, potentially all ability to steer the car is gone possibly resulting in disaster. I love my Ex, but there is no doubt some of the new technology is kind of scary.

Electronic Power-Assisted Steering (EPAS)

A dealer told me that the EPAS in the 2011 is new. What makes it different from the old style power steering?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks as if it is an ASSIST system.

http://media.ford.com/images/10031/2011_F150_EPAS.pdf

I'm no auto design engineer, but it looks as if the EPAS is just an electric motor assist instead of hydraulics in traditional power steering, SO, theoretically, the car should still be steerable in the event of a failure. Sounds like vulnox is right - something else potentially going on here to lock the steering up.

Not good either way though.

Back