07 Sport Trac Exhaust Manifold Leak | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

07 Sport Trac Exhaust Manifold Leak

Lil98Sport4X4

Former DSMer
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
State College, PA WE ARE... PENN STATE!!
Year, Model & Trim Level
'07 Sport Trac Ltd V8 4x4
Well, shortly before my ST hit the 40k mile mark, I started to hear an exhaust leak from the passenger's side :(

Pep Boys diagnosed the problem as a leaky passenger side manifold. They said it will need to be disassembled to determine if it's the gasket or the manifold itself. So the quote ranged from ~$300 to ~$550, depending on which part was at fault.

I called the local Ford dealer and asked about any TSBs or recalls they might have on my problem. They said there weren't any in the system, but told me that as long as the vehicle has less than 60k miles, it's a warranty repair. So, I'm dropping my ST off this Thursday night so they can look at it Friday.

It seems ridiculous for these things to fail under 40k miles, and I'm wondering when the driver's side manifold will start leaking.

Has anyone else had the same or similar problem with their Trac?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I haven't had a problem yet, I"m up to 56k miles, I hope mine doesn't mess up since I almost at 60k!

I have a leak that I'll get checked next month. I've got 94,000 on mine.
I'm wondering if I should install headers since I'm taking it apart.

RS manifolds warp on the 3V motors, happens on the trucks as well. Every once inawhile the front studs break off also. I have done like 10-15 over the years. Driver side is never a issue.

Thanks for the feedback.

I'll post a follow up when I get my ST back next week.

Funny I just joined after having a couple issues with my truck, I also just took it in today with a tick and I was told I need a manifold. It was covered under warranty cause I am still under 60k. I should get the truck back on Monday but the issue with the shifter was not covered. It locks me out sometimes not a real big deal.

They wanted $515 to change my spark plugs, is that crazy or am I crazy?

Funny I just joined after having a couple issues with my truck, I also just took it in today with a tick and I was told I need a manifold. It was covered under warranty cause I am still under 60k. I should get the truck back on Monday but the issue with the shifter was not covered. It locks me out sometimes not a real big deal.

They wanted $515 to change my spark plugs, is that crazy or am I crazy?

Spark plugs are $26 each from Ford now and 3 hours labor if everything goes well so I would its about right. If you havent already, do some research on 3 valve spark plugs and you will see why.

Well, I finally picked up my ST last Thursday evening. It took a while because the manifold didn't show up until 3 or 4 days after they ordered it.

All work was done at no cost to me. If you have a Trac that's under 60k, I'd suggest keeping an ear open for a passenger manifold leak. Out of warranty, it's a $500+ bill to repair.

leaking on the passenger side with 110000 km [65000 miles]

Mine is leaking on the passenger side with 110000 km [65000 miles] Ford said i could be looking at close to $800 to $1000 when finished. $99.95 per hour.

I have this same issue. Had a mechanic take a look today and he told me it looked like there was a crack in the exhaust manifold on the passenger side. He said he'd have to pull it out to tell for sure. He gave me a quote of $425~$500 to replace the manifold. I'm at 52,000 miles so I'm REAL glad I checked here before having the work done. Gonna be calling Ford tomorrow.

Would headers work and do they make them for the 4.6

Do they make headers for the 07 sport trac 4.6. if they do,what part ## s are they. May be cheaper than the manifolds

In a search for more info, I stumbled in here. This manifold issue sucks. See my tale of woe here: 08 Explorer ltd 64k 4.6L.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=331412

I still do not know with any degree of certainty what the issue is on my specific vehicle. Broken bolt, blown gasket, or cracked manifold. But from what most here have said, chances are it's the bolt.

I have heard of a few "lucky" folks getting this covered under the 8/80 emissions warranty. I bought the veh with 63k on it. Ticking started at 64k. Now has 67k.

I think I may give the 8/80 a try at the local dealer. In stark contrast to the dealer I bought it from, this local dealer has been very fair with me in my other service/warranty dealings with them. They appear to be one of the few "decent" dealerships.

Though the list of parts covered does include the manifold itself, it DOES NOT include bolts or gasket.

Any suggestions or thoughts welcome.

Thanks for listening.

P.../NH

Well, I finally picked up my ST last Thursday evening. It took a while because the manifold didn't show up until 3 or 4 days after they ordered it.

All work was done at no cost to me. If you have a Trac that's under 60k, I'd suggest keeping an ear open for a passenger manifold leak. Out of warranty, it's a $500+ bill to repair.

Lil98Sport4X4, What did they replace? The manifold, gasket, bolt(s)? All 3? Was the manifold actually cracked, or did they just replace it with a "new and improved" one? Just curious as I have the same issue. See my post above. Thanks

p.../NH

i have paper work from previous owner here. He replaced left side manifold ( drivers side.) I am the only one to have the drivers side done. 2 broken bolts it says on report. Shield, manifold and bolts replaced. Keeping an ear out for the passengers side.

I'm doing some checking around on the possibility of the availability of stainless headers for our 4.6 tracs. JBA lists one for an 05 Explorer and up to an 07-08 F 150 with a 3 valve. I sent them an email to see if they have anything compatible for our vehicles. I don't have any issues with mine yet, it only has 28000 miles on it and an extended warranty

pjw73nh... I'll have to find/check my invoice, but the Ford tech told me they cracked the manifold and broke a bolt just trying to get it off. So, they had to have replaced at least one bolt with the manifold. I also can't imagine them reusing the gasket, but I'll see what the invoice says.

I'm also not sure about the replacement manifold being "new and improved", but after speaking to a few Ford techs about the problem, they did agree that they've never heard of a Trac coming back for the same problem.

I wish I had seen this before. I had an exhaust leak, come to find out I have two studs broke off on the passenger side manifold. I ave the Adrenalin with 63000 miles. I have noticed it for some time but thought it was coming from were I had Flow's put on. I haven't had time to get it checked out until it was out of warranty..Go figure! My fault! It is at the Ford place now and its going to cost around $1000. Note to self here something, feel something, see something get it checked out before the warranty runs out.

Just had mine done by someone who moonlights! Thank GOD. It cost me $430. If it had of been at Ford it would have been double that! Running fine now.

Well, I don't know if anyone is still active on this thread but it seems like I have the exact same issue that you guys are dealing with. Mine started leaking around 65K and now has 80k on it. My repair guy said that both sides are probably shot but he would have to replace one to tell.

In light of hearing how much it would cost me, I really started looking at other options and found that THERE IS NO APPLICATION FOR A DIRECT FIT shorty header for the 07-10 4.6L Explorers. I then called Livernois Motorsports to see if they could retro fit anything on there from the Mustangs and they said they have never seen anyone do it and probably wouldn't try. Also, he said 02-05 4.6L headers will not bolt up to our 3v motors.

I then called JBA to and spoke with a guy who had been there for 8 years and also arranges all the new vehicles that they build headers for. His also said there is nothing on the market for our motors. His reason, there is not enough demand. If there were enough people, like if we had a group buy, they would build a custom run for us. Minimum of 25 sets, running a total of roughly $10000. ($400ea.) The only other header he mentioned you might try is the F150 5.4L 3v Headers. I think their model number was 1676S. They may be tight enough to fit in the area but he has never tried.

But anyways, thought I'd share that with you guys. At $422 for stock, the custom run sounds appealing. Your thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've reconnected with a close childhood friend who is now a Master tech for Ford and Mazda. He is intimately familiar with this issue. It is always the passenger side (#1 cyl) of the 4.6. He said the way to get it done is through the wheel well with a very small slow/medium speed drill. Start with a small size bit, and work your way up to a thicker one. Then use a high quality (Snapon?) EZ out. He said to be VERY VERY VERY careful because if you go too far you'll pierce the water jacket and have to buy and install a new head. If this is so common, why is there no class action?

He also mentioned that he has an F150 that had the issue, and he found a direct fit Banks solution. I don't remember what it was though. He also said to NOT replace the manifold with studs, but to use grade 8 or higher bolts.

His $.02...

Back