clunk in front end under somewhat heavy braking | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

clunk in front end under somewhat heavy braking

mehedgec

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
I don't believe this is related to the brakes in any way, as they were recently done.

I have a slight clunk that I feel in my floor boards if I brake somewhat heavily, it doesn't seem to affect the strength of braking either. My driver side radius arm bushing is good, I had the front end torn down to change them, and the drivers side ended up being fine, passenger I'm going to assume is good for now.

Sway bar bushings are fine as well, I do not think it is tie rod ends because it doesn't occur when turning.

Any ideas? Ball joints? Control arm bushings? shocks?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the same thing, I have heard about a potential cause but have not proven it yet. So, I will pass this theory to you:

In the driveshaft from the transfer case to the front diff, there is a spline slip joint. The theory is that you get this clunk if the slip joint needs greasing. There is a particular grease you can get from Ford that is precisely for this purpose. You can get it at their parts counter as XG-8. Prices vary GREATLY. I got a tube for $8. I have heard of others paying over $30. It apparently has to be a teflon based grease.

If you search the web for ford driveshaft clunk, you will find plenty of reading on this.

i have a small like thud when i brake hard also..however mine is 2wd

Usually that's a sign of the radius bushings going bad. I know you had yours changed out, but check 'em anyways. If the bushing was so bad that it started to eat into the metal before the bushing was replaced, it could have already killed the new bushing.

Could also be ball joints or shocks. If you're a 4WD Explorer, you don't have control arms.

Usually that's a sign of the radius bushings going bad. I know you had yours changed out, but check 'em anyways. If the bushing was so bad that it started to eat into the metal before the bushing was replaced, it could have already killed the new bushing.

Could also be ball joints or shocks. If you're a 4WD Explorer, you don't have control arms.
I did not change the radius arm bushings, and the hole looked good as well.

I'd check your ball joints too. If it is the ball joints you'll want to replace them asap. Might not hurt to have a buddy in the car and lean out the window and try to locate where the sound is coming from.

Back