• Register Today It's free!

93 Ford Explorer AC issue.

InsidiousDreams

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XPL
I need to figure out the parts I need to fix my AC in my truck. This heat is insane, and being a compulsive shopping, (and pregnant now), I cant deal with no air.

the only way I can describe this part is this... Normally, the belt goes around this piece... its kind of round or cylinder like? sits on the top and held on by a few bolts. I was told I needed to replace this and it would run around $200-$250 just for the part? My belt is bypassing this right now..

If anyone can help that would be awesome.. :)

I dont mean to sound like a ditz,.. but I had issues with this in the winter and figured I would wait.. well.. lol.. bad choice.

Thanks so much for your help.
Lisa

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That would be your air conditioning compressor.

That would be your air conditioning compressor.

thank you so much..:( Ive been so busy running around... I just have no clue what Im looking for.. and thought I would get an idea before I try to go in anywhere and look for it.

A friend said I would be better off getting it new and not from a yard..

Do you know what is required for installation of this part? What kind of price I should look at so that they are not over pricing me during this heat.. (knowing I NEED it).. lol

thanks so much.

If the compressor seized up, you're in for an expensive repair. When the compressor seizes, it basically grinds itself up inside and makes a lot of metal shavings. These shavings spew out through the whole system. The entire AC system must either be flushed out or replaced. Some pieces like the condenser and accumulator cannot be flushed and must be replaced.

But that's IF it seized up. (If it NEEDED to be bypassed, there's a pretty good chance it is seized)

You can save a lot of money getting a used one. I bought one used online for about $80 including shipping, and it only had about 49k miles on it. A new one will probably be around $200.

If the compressor seized up, you're in for an expensive repair. When the compressor seizes, it basically grinds itself up inside and makes a lot of metal shavings. These shavings spew out through the whole system. The entire AC system must either be flushed out or replaced. Some pieces like the condenser and accumulator cannot be flushed and must be replaced.

But that's IF it seized up. (If it NEEDED to be bypassed, there's a pretty good chance it is seized)

You can save a lot of money getting a used one. I bought one used online for about $80 including shipping, and it only had about 49k miles on it. A new one will probably be around $200.

Ok, I went and talked to the guy.. I found a compressor for 170 at autozone.. however even the mechanic said I could go used but might not be cheaper.. I called my local place where I got my gear box and he gave me a $50 price on the compressor. Im sure its seized.. the round thing the belt goes on locked up.. but he saw that, and didnt come off like it was going to be much of a big deal. Didnt seem like he would take advantage of the fact that I was pregnant, and pouring sweat and NEEDED the air either.. lol..

thats one of my biggest fears.. "sure lady, we can fix it.. totally understand how bad you need it.."... lol..

thank you guys for your help..:D I so love my truck.. as much as my husband hates it... I love it even more..:p

Back