How is the New 2.11 working? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How is the New 2.11 working?

wheeling

Reaction score
City, State
Austin, TX
It has been a few days since the first MFT 2.11 is installed, no one has posted any reviews or comments, except "it rocks!" We have heard similar comments for 2.8 beforfe. Other similar topics have been hijacked to different subject. So I'm asking this question again.

For those of us that are still waiting, the effectiveness of this update is a key issue in the decision making. Come on, guys, what do you think? Does it work? Solve your problems?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Software development facts according to me:

1. You know it's working if you don't hear anything about it
2. If it's working correctly you'll never get complimented
3. No one will ever say how great it's working, even when asked, they will respond with, "Well so far...", and "I haven't experienced a problem...yet", "I haven't noticed any issues..."

lol it's sad but true, and yes exceptions apply. :D

It does not work for mine.
My nav system still crashes when weather radar loads.

I still get the "Performing Scheduled System Maintenance" screens.

That makes a new APIM, and 3 versions of software 2.4, 2.8, and now 2.11 and it STILL does not work properly.

We had those issues the first day we got it back, within 30 minutes of driving it.

We have not driven it much since then.

That makes the tally 4-1 that I know of

It does not work for mine.
My nav system still crashes when weather radar loads.

I still get the "Performing Scheduled System Maintenance" screens.

That makes a new APIM, and 3 versions of software 2.4, 2.8, and now 2.11 and it STILL does not work properly.

We had those issues the first day we got it back, within 30 minutes of driving it.

We have not driven it much since then.

There is more going on in your case then software. I believe that even though your APIM was replaced, it is either still defective, or there is some other component in your system (GPS?) that is causing Sync to behave this way. Most do not have your issues and even LoganFilm is reporting that his MFT is much better.

I would encourage you to contact Cory and Rebecca of the Ford IVT team via. PM directly. They need to escalate your case WAY past the dealer!

Good luck.

It has been a few days since the first MFT 2.11 is installed, no one has posted any reviews or comments, except "it rocks!" We have heard similar comments for 2.8 beforfe. Other similar topics have been hijacked to different subject. So I'm asking this question again.

For those of us that are still waiting, the effectiveness of this update is a key issue in the decision making. Come on, guys, what do you think? Does it work? Solve your problems?

Thanks

My Ex is at the dealer waiting for the upgrade right now.... will let you know how it is.

There is more going on in your case then software. I believe that even though your APIM was replaced, it is either still defective, or there is some other component in your system (GPS?) that is causing Sync to behave this way. Most do not have your issues and even LoganFilm is reporting that his MFT is much better.

I would encourage you to contact Cory and Rebecca of the Ford IVT team via. PM directly. They need to escalate your case WAY past the dealer!

Good luck.

The issue has been escalated for about a month now. I have contacted Cory and Rebecca. I am in contact withe the Customer Service Manager for the Southeast, Jody.

A Ford engineer was scheduled to look at my vehicle on Monday, July 18th and I was told to have it up there that morning. I took off 1/2 day from work and took it up there. The engineer NEVER showed up. :mad: On Wednesday the dealer called and said they had installed 2.11.

Who else can I call? I'll call the freakin CEO of Ford if I can.

The issue has been escalated for about a month now. I have contacted Cory and Rebecca. I am in contact withe the Customer Service Manager for the Southeast, Jody.

A Ford engineer was scheduled to look at my vehicle on Monday, July 18th and I was told to have it up there that morning. I took off 1/2 day from work and took it up there. The engineer NEVER showed up. :mad: On Wednesday the dealer called and said they had installed 2.11.

yup. sounds like you've pretty much done what you can. I would call a lawyer and watch how fast you get Ford's attention when you file a lemon law claim or at least send them a stearnly worded threat on law firm stationary.

"I'll call the freakin CEO of Ford if I can" - maybe that is the answer. I have heard of some CEOs actually responding to individual consumer's concerns with an actual letter (not a form letter), phone call, or other immediate assistance. If you can get Mullally's address, (CORY?) - perhaps you can write him a letter and state your issues. It's unacceptable that the Ford engineer never showed up.

If I were Mullally - I'd swap your ride with a brand new one that I knew worked.

2.11 is working fine for me.

The best I can tell so far is it is pretty comparable to 2.8 but much more responsive. It is available for voice commands within a minute of startup and I have not experienced any delays or reboots in the 24 hours I've had it.

I'm cautiously optimistic that this is a significant improvement.

2.11 is working fine for me.

The best I can tell so far is it is pretty comparable to 2.8 but much more responsive. It is available for voice commands within a minute of startup and I have not experienced any delays or reboots in the 24 hours I've had it.

I'm cautiously optimistic that this is a significant improvement.

:thumbsup:

jrmexplorer,

has your update done? How is the result? Hope it works for you.

I really like the X and the technology coming with it, on one condition, though, it must work. I just don't have time to go to the dealers all the time.

Ok, got 2.11 installed and picked it up. According to syncmyride.com's update history it looks like they had to try a few times to get it to take.

Confirmed Installations
SYNC Version
Gen2 - V2.11
BT4T-14D546-AM
SYNC compatible software BT4T-14D546-AP
BT4T-14D546-GA
SYNC compatible software BT4T-14F496-AP
SYNC compatible software BT4T-14F496-AS
SYNC compatible software BT4T-14F497-AM
SYNC compatible software BT4T-14F497-AP
SYNC compatible software BT4T-14F500-AE
SYNC compatible software BT4T-14F500-BE
BT4T-14F603-AM
SYNC compatible software BT4T-14F603-AP

For some background - my experience with MFT v. 2.8 was overall positive. A few minor nagging issues:
1.) phone wouldn't call a number the first time using voice commands - I would push the voice button and say "call X" and it would say "calling X", but nothing would happen until a couple seconds later and a box would popup saying "disconnected". The next time I tried it always worked.
2.) Sirius channel browser doesn't work well at all.
3.) Right cluster when on Audio during startup fails to update to inclue my USB stick and bluetooth audio as the system loads them. you have to go back to the previous screen and then back to the audio screen for it to show up.
4.) general system unstability (i.e. system freezes for up to 10 seconds every once and awhile and at random times - also had an issue where my phone stopped pairing forcing a fuse 29 pull twice).
5.) general system slowness - it was ok in terms of responsiveness, but I felt that it could be a bit better.
6.) When you would say "play song Crazy" - it found both Alanis Morrisette's Crazy and Gnarls Barkley's Crazy and ask you which one. You would say "play all" it would only play one of them.
7.) When presented with a choice of options, saying "1" instead of "Line 1" caused the incorrect option to be chosen.
8.) GPS signal seemed to take a progressively longer time to acquire since I first purchased.

Other minor issues were found and noted, but those were kinda the big ones. I didn't have any major system instability and my phone usually connected and the nav usually was loaded fairly quickly. Less than 30 seconds for sure.

UPDATED to 2.11
Definitely notice that the response time is improved. Not a night and day difference, but response is a bit faster. The system still lags a bit. Where the speed improvement is most noticeable is the ambient lighting selection - which on 2.8 was SLOW. It's much more responsive though.

System stability seems a bit uncertain right now. It took 3 tries to get a vehicle health report sent out and the first time I went to the ambient lighting section it wouldn't change at all (had to powercycle).

Initial phone pairing was MUCH faster. Subsequent connections seem a hair faster than on 2.8.

I have a droid x and was hoping that text messaging would work, but it does not appear that is the case.

phonebook download was quick and painless.

Issue #1 with my phone above was resolved.

SIRIUS CHANNEL BROWSER STILL DOES NOT WORK!!!! - I'm dissapointed in this aspect - I got it to come up once and when it comes up it is quicker, but it still hangs on the loading screen. When it did come up, I noticed a few more categories (e.g. "sports"), but when I tried to expand the list of sports stations, nothing happened.

Issue #3 - Not resolved - Right cluster still fails to update

Sirius weather map came up lightning fast. Gas prices took a bit longer.

Issue #6 is fixed - sort of- it plays the second song in the list and if you press the back button it goes to the first song.

Issue #7 is not fixed.

Issue #8 seems better - but i haven't had the time to fully test it out.

I also use a USB stick for audio as SYnc refused to work with my 3rd gen ipod (the last gen with the wheel). I will try and see if it recognizes the ipod tonight.

I will post more as I find it.

I should add that if anyone with 2.8 wants me to see if something is fixed, I can give it a shot and see - as long as it doesn't require any special hardware (i.e. phones or media players - unless you wanna buy it for me :) )

** Update **
The sirius browser is working a bit better now. Still a little spotty, but it does work. I wonder if it has to do with a poor signal on Sirius' part. Parked in my driveway it seems to work fine, but on the road it doesnt.

My older iPod does not connect. "Not supported" is what Sync tells me.

Well, I got my first two black screen of death's today. I tried to connect my wifes video iPod (first gen with video and color screen) with the battery at almost 0 and the iPod tells me "connected accessory not supported" and then I get the Ford logo on the MFT screen and then nothing. I can get it to reset if I shut -er- off and open the door. no ill effects it seems. I then went in and charged said iPod and updated the software from 1.1 to 1.3 and everything worked fine after that - was able to get the ipod to connect, index, and properly play songs.

Indexing time for devices seems to be much better. Around 600 - 700 songs takes approximately 3 - 5 minutes for indexing and another 2-4 minutes to build the media commands.

The climate control system is improved in that it was always a bit difficult to get the cooled seats on - it had that weird zoom function that never seemed to work right. The zoom function seems fixed and one touch zooms the heated/cooled seats and another touch easily turns them on.

-Justin

Thanks, jrmexplorer, a great report for a not so great situation.

Looks like it is not the silver bullet many of us are hoping for.

A little disappointed.

Thanks, jrmexplorer, a great report for a not so great situation.

Looks like it is not the silver bullet many of us are hoping for.

A little disappointed.

Yeah - I'm guessing Ford focused on the stability issues here for the folks like Loganfilm who basically had non-functioning cars.

Overall, like I said, it's a slight improvement for me (who didn't have too many issues with 2.8) but it's probably going to count more for Loganfilm and Timsuds and others in their situation.

My recommendation is that if you are having issues with 2.8, then do it, but if 2.8 is stable for you, just wait until your next oil change or service. It's not "special trip" worthy - but I would recommend you getting it. My theory for sync is that 2.8 has a lot of memory leaks. Over time this will degrade system performance (thus the "reboots" to reset the memory) and cause erratic behavior. It seems people have early positive experiences only to have later failures. Hopefully 2.11 addresses many of these leaks.

As far as the black screen of death's go - I think it was the iPod's fault - it was acting goofy on its own. However, that being said, there is no excuse for letting an external device crash Sync - so that's bad on Ford's part.

-J

----------
Wow, you got a Ford Engineer to almost look at your Explorer, I esculated my Explorer Issues with Cory, someone called from Ford and wouldn't even let me speak to a Ford Engineer that apparently shows up at the dealer often, problems are still not fixed and claim I do not have any problems (Wind Noise, Bluetooth wind tunnel noise, etc)..........I hope 2.11 fixes some of these issues but I doubt it, wish I had kept my 2006 Explorer Limited, I have never had so many problems with this 2011 Explorer than any of my other 6 Explorers (and I even liked my firestone tires until the recall)........ well just Ford solves my problems soon or onto something else.....Cory thanks for all your help but it so far hasn't done any help.

R

Does not sound like a "Major Update" that Ford reps were stating!:thumbdwn:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think it marginally improved the system for those that weren't having many issues. The real test is those that had major issues (i.e. many reboots, etc...) . Given the issues you seem to be facing baxter, I would certainly try it out.

Loganfilm and Timsuds seem to like it much better.

-J

Back