2000 Explorer Sport - Need Opinion | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 Explorer Sport - Need Opinion

Eric_Bean

Reaction score
City, State
Purvis, MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer Sport
I once owned a 1992 Ford Explorer Sport and LOVED it. Sold it to buy something else.....not sure what. Now I am going debt free with my life and have an opportunity to buy a 2000 Explorer Sport with 128,000 miles on it. Seems to be in great shape and the lady who owns it wants $2800 for it.

Need some opinions about buying it. What do you guys think?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had an 03 that was so good, I never had to go on this forum. After it got wrecked recently, I got a Sport, since I got it cheap. Well, it's a good thing, because I done nothing but chase noises. It doesn't come CLOSE to the next gen model, I'm sorry to say.

If it is in good shape with no major issues that is not a bad price. You probably could get her down a few hundred.

Is it the OHV or SOHC motor? Thats not a bad price at all, but I would show up with like 2200$ in one pocket and whip it out and ask if he'll take that.

Find out about that motor though...

Find out about that motor though...
QFT!

Price seems good, but if it's an SOHC, listen carefully for any kind of engine rattle during cold startup or between 2000 - 3000 RPM. At 128,000 miles, SOHC timing chain problems may show up soon if they haven't already been addressed and that will easily add $1,500+ to the price of the car.

Back