• Register Today It's free!

Wind wistle

Rollingrock

Reaction score
City, State
Texas, is there another place?
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 XLT with googies
Anyone else have some issues with wind noise on the front windshield at around 70?

i seem to have a whistle in the wife's EX...the location seems to vary but it seems to be coming from near the top line of the front glass.

Thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone else have some issues with wind noise on the front windshield at around 70?

i seem to have a whistle in the wife's EX...the location seems to vary but it seems to be coming from near the top line of the front glass.

Thoughts?

I have the same whistling sound. Only happens at highway speed when the wind is hitting it just right. If the wind is not blowing (rare), it is perfectly quiet. There are plastic strips running up and down on the sides of the windshield. Are those strips what cause the A-pillar rattle? Mine doesn't rattle, only whistles.

lol, i thought this thread was a joke at first... this is a big issue with all the 2011 explorers. do a search for a pillar rattle.

lol, i thought this thread was a joke at first... this is a big issue with all the 2011 explorers. do a search for a pillar rattle.

We don't have pillar rattle yet...just wind noise

Yule hav tuh parton us dum texuns. We were thankin may b a wissel sound was differnt then a rattlin' noyse. Thats how come we wuz askin'.

Yule hav tuh parton us dum texuns. We were thankin may b a wissel sound was differnt then a rattlin' noyse. Thats how come we wuz askin'.

lmfao. you guys have me thinking I'm crazy now!!!! I think what were all experiencing is the a pillar rattle, stop confusing me now!!!! lol

lmfao. you guys have me thinking I'm crazy now!!!! I think what were all experiencing is the a pillar rattle, stop confusing me now!!!! lol

No, they are different. As the Thread Title. Wind Whistle. Not rattle.

However you want to call it it can only be coming from the same parts... It has to be coming from the plastic a pillar pieces on the sides of the windshield. It's just a different noise because of the amount of air squeezing through the rubber and the glass....

However you want to call it it can only be coming from the same parts... It has to be coming from the plastic a pillar pieces on the sides of the windshield. It's just a different noise because of the amount of air squeezing through the rubber and the glass....

I disagree only b/c of where we hear it...we don't hear it near the A pillars..we hear it hear the top of the glass at the roof line...or at least that is where we think it's coming from.

Are you saying that we need to have Ford look at the A Pillar Trim parts?

If so, what can be done?

If you're sure it's coming from the top of windshield then I'm probably wrong. I just don't see where noise can be coming from up top, that's why I said a pillar... And it also comes from same circumstances, ie: high speed and cross winds.... Now I'm all confused!!! Lol

If you're sure it's coming from the top of windshield then I'm probably wrong. I just don't see where noise can be coming from up top, that's why I said a pillar... And it also comes from same circumstances, ie: high speed and cross winds.... Now I'm all confused!!! Lol

Well thanks alot...you managed to confuse me too.

:chug::crazy:

I think I can buy that. Although the sound seems to be coming from the top of the windshield, maybe it is coming from the sides. I haven't been able to tell exactly where the whistle is coming from. Our leaks may just not be as bad as some of the others whose A-pillars "fart". Thanks for the help vig1116.

So is there a fix for this?

So is there a fix for this?

As far as the A-pillar issue, there is a loooong thread on here. I think there are some who have had gaskets changed out, but several have said the sound has come back. So it doesn't sound like there's a good fix yet.

wait, what were we talking about? :p:

Experienced the same issue on a long road trip this weekend. Over 50 mph I had a very loud wind whistle with an occasional flapping or vibrating sound. Super annoying.

Wind Noise

Yes, I've had wind noise on top of the windshield with strong crosswinds. My dealer had my windshield resealed to solve the problem. I havent had whistling noise since then but the dealer had problems reinstalling my a-pillars back correctly. When I picked up my explorer from the dealer, my driver side a-pillar literally flew away and the very next day when my wife was driving on the highway, the passenger side a-pillar also was blown away.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Experienced the same issue on a long road trip this weekend. Over 50 mph I had a very loud wind whistle with an occasional flapping or vibrating sound. Super annoying.
Let me know if you’d like my help with the noise coming from your windshield Rollingrock & lucky711. You’d only need to private message me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, and contact info.

Yes, I've had wind noise on top of the windshield with strong crosswinds. My dealer had my windshield resealed to solve the problem. I havent had whistling noise since then but the dealer had problems reinstalling my a-pillars back correctly. When I picked up my explorer from the dealer, my driver side a-pillar literally flew away and the very next day when my wife was driving on the highway, the passenger side a-pillar also was blown away.
Those pieces shouldn’t have come off while you were driving and I’d like to assist you in making this right JCredo. So I can do that, please also send me your contact info, VIN, dealer, and mileage via PM.

Cory

Back