2011 Explorer Restricted from towing U-Haul Trailers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2011 Explorer Restricted from towing U-Haul Trailers

Jar0d_82ABN

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer Limited 2011
My father and I had driven separately to W. Virginia on a church work camp. This was the first major road trip in my new 2011 Explorer Limited. Our trip there went fine as I enjoyed the MFT system and the automatic cruise control. However, as accidents happen and my father broke his ankle falling off of a ladder towards the end of the week. To get his Toyota pick up truck back to Pennsylvania we stopped by a U-Haul. I thought I would actually get to use my tow package after all. The U-Haul store owner told me that he was restricted to renting any trailers or vehicle towing equipment to Ford Explorers. I asked him to try since I had a newer Explorer with the tow package. As he entered vehicle model and make a warning sign popped up and stated that U-Haul could not rent to Ford Explorers. The owner was nice enough to give us other rental companies in the area, but I was a bit upset that I had not known that Explorers are banned from renting from U Haul. Overall, my Explorer performed perfectly on the 1500 mile trip, but just was not happy with the U Haul restriction.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Old news, been posted before... there has also been articles posted online about it. All stems from the firestone tire issue. Uhaul doesnt care that it is a 100% redesign. The explorer name is the plague to Uhaul.

Sorry to hear about the injury though.

Yea, dont you remember years ago the SECOND GENS had some bad tires?

:D

Sad thing is, you can take a Mountaineer there and rent a trailer no questions asked.

They even install hitches on Explorers, but wont rent trailers.

Wow, I know I'm new to Explorers (about 4 months now), but this was new and very interesting information to me. Over the last 5+ years, I have spend a good bit of money with UHaul near me, holding off buying a truck to move things back and forth to storage.

Although I admit I'm less likely to rent these days (as my Explorer is very good for many of these tasks), I am insulted by a policy based on events ~10 years ago.

Does anyone else feel this policy makes sense a decade later (for all Explorers) and that we as a user community should just wish U-Haul well?

According to Wikipedia, while Explorers are restricted from towing U-Hauls, Mercury Mountaineers & Mazda Navajos, which are mechanically identical, are permitted.

Wow, I know I'm new to Explorers (about 4 months now), but this was new and very interesting information to me. Over the last 5+ years, I have spend a good bit of money with UHaul near me, holding off buying a truck to move things back and forth to storage.

Although I admit I'm less likely to rent these days (as my Explorer is very good for many of these tasks), I am insulted by a policy based on events ~10 years ago.

Does anyone else feel this policy makes sense a decade later (for all Explorers) and that we as a user community should just wish U-Haul well?

It is a pretty bad policy, but UHaul has a pretty bad reputation as a company. So I don't care either way, I am sure we can find another trailer if needed. It is all in the nameplate, as even the Sport Trac was denied despite it having a pretty big difference in architecture for the 2006 and earlier models, and even the redesign had quite a few big differences from the full Explorer.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/05/25/why-u-haul-wont-rent-you-a-trailer-for-your-ford-explorer/

I've rented a uhaul trailer twice with my new Explorer, I just told the idiot behind the counter that it was a new Ford Flex. :D

just was not happy with the U Haul restriction.

As someone else said, this is old news. This was in place due to the Firestone tire fiasco/lawsuits.

If I had to bet, I'd say that UHaul told Ford they wanted their costs reimbursed, Ford told them to take a hike, and UHaul decided to ban the Explorer - in perpetuity.

Nothing other than "tit for tat" makes sense, although I think UHaul are being stupid and just cutting off their nose to spite their face. Provides UHaul competitors an opportunity to cater to Ford owners.

I've rented a uhaul trailer twice with my new Explorer, I just told the idiot behind the counter that it was a new Ford Flex. :D

If something goes wrong though, are you insured? Do you take on additional liability?

It is a pretty bad policy, but UHaul has a pretty bad reputation as a company.

Very true, they are just being stupid. As an Explorer owner, take your money elsewhere. Problem is that Ryder doesn't have as many outlets.

If something goes wrong though, are you insured? Do you take on additional liability?

According to my insurance agent, my auto policy covers any trailer that is connected to my Explorer for liability purposes. Now, if I were to do damage to the trailer myself, then no, that damage wouldn't be covered.

In the past I always told them I had a mercury mountaineer, I was wondering what I would tell them next time...

Thanks for the idea on the Ford Flex! :) You could probably get away with telling them it is an Edge as well.

ok tomorrow is the day!
79FF9051-0275-400C-B949-E3120FBDA105.jpeg

I thought it had to do with that funky 1 1/4" hitch on the '02-10 models and the 5r55 trans, but yes you can tell them a Mountaineer or Aviator and its no problem. As for our generation I'm sure they'll rent if you tell them a Flex, Edge, Taurus or CX9. They are all essentially our mechanical twins

I thought it had to do with that funky 1 1/4" hitch on the '02-10 models and the 5r55 trans, but yes you can tell them a Mountaineer or Aviator and its no problem. As for our generation I'm sure they'll rent if you tell them a Flex, Edge, Taurus or CX9. They are all essentially our mechanical twins
There is no need to do that as U-Haul no longer has that policy and hasn't had it for a number of years.

Peter

Back