problem with turn signals. advice needed :) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

problem with turn signals. advice needed :)

Mindy

Reaction score
City, State
Montreal
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
Hi everyone, I recently bought a used 2000 Ford Explorer. It is running great, but I've been having a little issue with the turn signals. Every now and then they decide not to work. When I try to signal, the arrow light comes on but it doesn't blink. It will stay on until I turn or turn the signal off, but it just wont blink. also, when this happens with the turn signal, the hazard lights do the same thing. The arrows will stay solid, but they wont blink. This doesn't happen every single time, but often. It wouldn't be such a big deal, but I live in Ontario at the moment and I have to get a safety done on my explorer this week and if the blinkers decide not to work during the safety test then it wont pass. any help/advice is greatly appreciated :):exp:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does it do it on left & right turn?

do a search for multifunction switch. It sounds like that may be the problem.

do a search for multifunction switch. It sounds like that may be the problem.

That's what I was thinking too, but it also does it when I try turning the hazard lights on.... is it all connected??

Check/replace the bulbs for the signal lights at the corners of the truck. If you have a bulb that's burned out, the inside blinker will stay solid. If it's not that, then your flasher unit needs to be replaced (not at all expensive).

Check/replace the bulbs for the signal lights at the corners of the truck. If you have a bulb that's burned out, the inside blinker will stay solid. If it's not that, then your flasher unit needs to be replaced (not at all expensive).

Thanks for the info. They have been working fine for the last two days. It's just every now and then the lights will stay solid. Could this be because the lights are there way out? I guess it's not hard to replace the bulbs myself, but I've never done it before so I'm always worried I will screw something up... But I guess this would be cheaper to try before changing the whole switch first.

same thing happened to me with my old rodeo. check all the bulbs first, im sure it isnt a fuse because if it was, they wouldnt work at all. but if it isnt any of these problems, it could be the little mechanism in the steering column that the actual turn signal lever is connected to. this is what was causing my turn signals to malfunction. inside that little stich box, there is a tiny pin that gets pushed from side to side when you flip the turn signal lever. that little pin can get stuck, or or jammed, and it can cause the signals to not flash properly, at least that's what happened with mine. i just took my time taking the steering column apart and repositioned that little pin and got it to work again. im thinking it shouldnt be too different inside the steering column of the explorers. good luck and let us know if you fix it.

More than likely that your flash module has got a problem if your signals and hazards are solid. Glad to see montreal joined the "rest of canada" in Ontario... :)

More than likely that your flash module has got a problem if your signals and hazards are solid. Glad to see montreal joined the "rest of canada" in Ontario... :)

I just noticed today that when that happens the lights on the outside come on as well and stay solid. lol. is the flash module a tough job??
and thanks, I love Montreal. I came to Ontario for a year, I just purchased this car here and have to go through a bunch of crap to get it fully registered. Now I'm moving back to Montreal and I can't wait. lol

I apologize in advance because this might be the dumbest question..... BUT I am going to ask anyway. lol. How many lights should light up when you turn your turn signal on?? I am curious of something lol

two at the front corner, one at the back.

Back