• Register Today It's free!

removing side steps???

98X48167

Reaction score
City, State
Northville,MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
hey yall i have a 98 x XLT and i was wondering how you removed the side steps on it and what are the chances of the rockers being rusted out on it and what i should do if they are and if you have pictures of urs removed and what you did to fix the rust please post i would love to see them i will post pictures of my truck as it sits before i take the side steps off and ill post more later on after i figure out how to remove them

thank you so much

sideshot.jpg

By xploder98 at 2011-06-20

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I dont have any pics for you, but taking them off was the best decision for me. Originally I planned to take them off, sand, and repaint, but after taking them off I liked the look and threw them away. They were also a little more rusted than I had expected.

Im finishing up by repainting my trim to give it a more modern look (the flat grey was terrible). I have a black car so coupled with semi flat black krylon, its beginning to look nice again.

To remove them, there should be 3 sets of 3 bolts on each side step. I just took a 14 or 15MM socket and wrench to remove them. Get ready though because mine were extremely rusted and with hand tools only it took me about 2 1/2 hours to do (i didnt raise the car either). Thought it would take a few minutes but those bolts were pretty rusty.

In all, do it. If you want to make it even nicer, repaint the trim. The only difficult part here is the bumper which you probably need to remove because of rust.

ditch em....

I took the steps off of my wife's Explorer, it looks like I lifted it 3" by the additional clearance created. I also lifted it 2.5", it looks way better and now that the pontoons are gone, maybe we won't get stuck in the snow as easily.

The only drawback is the holes that are left from the clips in the visible side of the rocker panels. I have not figured out how to address that yet, but am thinking about some sliders or some sort of rocker panel covers......

Do it, take those sissy steps off there.

I took mine off as well. here's a couple of pics.

DSCF1074.jpg

DSCF1075.jpg

Someone on the forum filled their holes with expandable foam, sanded them smooth and painted. I was going to try this but haven't gotten to it yet. Truck minus the boards does look higher.

Look better with the oversize tires & wheels

hey yall i have a 98 x XLT... removed the side steps ....

Damn you living that far away from me. I am looking for a pair of these but can't afford the shipping. I've had a bunch offered to me at $15 or $20, but even with shipping at cost, we're talking $65-85.

Some of these will look better with out them. With those tires and wheels, I'd probably remove them. If you had stock tire size and wheels, like mine, I'd leave them on.

Those are stock rims and stock tire size.

Really? They look bigger

Those are stock rims and stock tire size.

Really? Maybe just the angle or something. They look a bit larger. Not huge, but... Oh well, women say men always think things look bigger than they really are. :D

Really? Maybe just the angle or something. They look a bit larger. Not huge, but... Oh well, women say men always think things look bigger than they really are. :D

Stock on the white truck, yes, on the blue truck, no.

Damn you living that far away from me. I am looking for a pair of these but can't afford the shipping. I've had a bunch offered to me at $15 or $20, but even with shipping at cost, we're talking $65-85.

Some of these will look better with out them. With those tires and wheels, I'd probably remove them. If you had stock tire size and wheels, like mine, I'd leave them on.

haha thats funny im moving to san jose california in 2 months

@drdoom - OK, that's what I thought (that the OP photo was not stock wheels & tires). They looked a bit bigger than the ones I just put on my own.

@98X48167 - Well, if you still have them, want to sell them and they just happen to get packed with your stuff (hint, hint).... I'm about 30 miles north of San Jose in San Leandro

Have you lived out this way previously? Moving out for school? Job? Family? Feel free to PM me if you'd like.

Sorry about that Chief. Thought you were talkin about mine.

@drdoom - OK, that's what I thought (that the OP photo was not stock wheels & tires). They looked a bit bigger than the ones I just put on my own.

@98X48167 - Well, if you still have them, want to sell them and they just happen to get packed with your stuff (hint, hint).... I'm about 30 miles north of San Jose in San Leandro

Have you lived out this way previously? Moving out for school? Job? Family? Feel free to PM me if you'd like.

well i will deff hold onto them when i move ill pack them in the back of the X since it is being moved on a trailer out there and no never lived out there my mom moved out there in february for a new job at tesla motors so im waiting to finish up my school and then im movin out there to live with her since she is really the only family i have left but ya i will deff keep them and we can talk more wen i get out there

Back