Wanted - 97 or 98 4.0 L SOHC Engine | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wanted 97 or 98 4.0 L SOHC Engine

Parts or services wanted

mouldegt

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 ford explorer
I am looking to buy a 4.0 L SOHC Engine which fits my 1997 Explorer. Either the 1997 or 1998 engine will fit. My old engine broke the timing chain so I need an engine replacement. I am looking for an engine with under 100K miles. Also it needs to be the 4x4 variant to accomodate the all-wheel drive. I live in the Cincinnati, OH area.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try this: http://car-part.com/
enter the information,they need, and it will search nation wide and sort by location,price,etc.
Also do a search on this site, and you will see that a newer 4.0 SOHC will work in your Ex.I believe 2002, or 2003 and newer resolved the timing chain tensioner problems.

if you can, stay away from high milage soch v6. bc there are more moving parts in the motor it is likely to fail. however the v6 isnt total bs. i have 196k on mine :)

I am looking to buy a 4.0 L SOHC Engine which fits my 1997 Explorer. Either the 1997 or 1998 engine will fit. My old engine broke the timing chain so I need an engine replacement. I am looking for an engine with under 100K miles. Also it needs to be the 4x4 variant to accomodate the all-wheel drive. I live in the Cincinnati, OH area.

Your making it hard on yourself trying to find that specific engine with such low miles.

You can use ANY 4.0l SOHC. Any newer engine will work. You just have to swap your intake, exhaust, etc onto the newer (or even Mustang) SOHC engine.

Hey i've got just that one out of my 97, about 130k but i'm the second owner and it's been meticulously serviced its full synthetic it's entire life. whats it worth to you, or whats yours worth to you and ill put my engine in it instead?

No Engine needed anymore

Thanks for the replies but I have already found and installed an engine into my 97 Explorer.

Back