• Register Today It's free!

Lower radiator Hose

Explorer2011

Reaction score
City, State
Pensacola, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer V8
How HARD is it to replace the lower radiator hose? its weird because i was driving for 15 mins went to store and came out and saw Coolant leaking from bottom hose i drove home got out and didn't see anything else... got a better look at hose and at ends it looks really bumpy and not smooth like hoses are so seems like i need to change the hose out.. i was doing alittle research it was saying you have to take off belt and everything else to get to hose?

No you don't need to remove the belt, but removing the fan is a big plus. You don't absolutely need to remove the fan but it's much easier without it in the way. I have an electric fan so that's not an issue, just reach right in with clamp pliers an off it comes. The bottom clamp is an easy job from below. If you're flexible you might be able to get the top clamp from below as well.

No you don't need to remove the belt, but removing the fan is a big plus. You don't absolutely need to remove the fan but it's much easier without it in the way. I have an electric fan so that's not an issue, just reach right in with clamp pliers an off it comes. The bottom clamp is an easy job from below. If you're flexible you might be able to get the top clamp from below as well.

Yeah, i seen the bottom clamp get to that easily after taking off the cover from the botton that hides the drain plug.. i just wasn't sure if it was possible to reach from below to the other end of the hose but i'll try it.

You can pull the fan and shroud in about 15-20 mins if you want to go that route. Remove the 4 nuts holding the fan, remove the shroud and fan leaving the pulley on the water pump. Then put the nuts back on loosely to hold the pulley while you work. Installation is reverse. Only 2 bolts on the shroud.

Back