It shuddered and died at the light several times today. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

It shuddered and died at the light several times today.

huff143

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas City
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac
:dunno: I have an '01 Sport Trac, and, after driving about 20-30 minutes it acted like it was going to die when I took off from stop signs. I'd pump the accelarator a bit and it would take off and run fine. THEN, after about 20 minutes more it got worse and started dying at EVERY stop sign. I'd have to "powerbrake" it at about 2,000 rpm and eeeease off the brake while still pumping the pedal to keep it running until I hit about 15mph. Even at that point the engine was a little rough running.

For what it's worth, the outside temp was 105 and muggy today and I was doing a bunch of stop-and-go driving looking at houses.

Ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I forgot to add, prior to today, it had done this a total of three times in the last few months, but only once each time and only after driving for long distances and coming to a stop.

Thanks!

Try cleaning the IAC, MAF and check the plugs/ wires. Seafoam the intake.

Sounds like lower intake gaskets. Common symptom with a long drive then bad idle.

Oh, do you have a Job 1 motor? If so that's a good possibilty what boominXplorer said.

Oh, do you have a Job 1 motor? If so that's a good possibilty what boominXplorer said.

I don't know. How do you tell? It was manufactured in September 2000. Would pumping on the gas pedal while taking off from a stop help if it was a lower intake gasket?

FWIW, it has been six hours since I parked it and just went out and took it for a spin around the block....NO hesitation. It surely did have something to do with extended run time.

Also, any idea what repair costs would be on that gasket?

Thank you all very much for your help?

I don't know. How do you tell? It was manufactured in September 2000. Would pumping on the gas pedal while taking off from a stop help if it was a lower intake gasket?

FWIW, it has been six hours since I parked it and just went out and took it for a spin around the block....NO hesitation. It surely did have something to do with extended run time.

Also, any idea what repair costs would be on that gasket?

Thank you all very much for your help?

I would try removing the IAC valve and cleaning it with some electronics cleaner, spray it out good, let dry then reinstall. Takes 5 minutes to remove and 5 to put back on. When my truck had a dirty IAC it would die sometimes when I was idleing. It would also cause the truck to run like crap on ocassion. I cleaned the IAC and no more problem. It been about a year and it started stalling again on occassion so this time I went ahead and replaced the IAC with a new one.

If your oil filler neck is on the passenger side then you have a Job 2 motor. Not sure about cost for the gasket. Tere's plenty of members out you way on this site, see if you can hook up with someone and have them help you fix the problem/s, if you were closer to Pittsburgh I'd be more then happy to help out but I'm far away from most of the members.

I would try removing the IAC valve and cleaning it with some electronics cleaner, spray it out good, let dry then reinstall. Takes 5 minutes to remove and 5 to put back on. When my truck had a dirty IAC it would die sometimes when I was idleing. It would also cause the truck to run like crap on ocassion. I cleaned the IAC and no more problem. It been about a year and it started stalling again on occassion so this time I went ahead and replaced the IAC with a new one.

I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the input!

If your oil filler neck is on the passenger side then you have a Job 2 motor. Not sure about cost for the gasket. Tere's plenty of members out you way on this site, see if you can hook up with someone and have them help you fix the problem/s, if you were closer to Pittsburgh I'd be more then happy to help out but I'm far away from most of the members.

It is on the passenger side. Does that rule out the gasket? Any other ideas?

Back