• Register Today It's free!

Ecoboost MPG

goofydisneydaddy

Reaction score
City, State
Falls Church, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Limited

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was browsing window stickers for 2012s to try to get an idea how many they make a day,

I figure they make about 500 Explorers per day. Based on the VIN numbers I've seen, Ford has built about 120,000 Explores in the past 8 months. What was your estimate?

I figure they make about 500 Explorers per day. Based on the VIN numbers I've seen, Ford has built about 120,000 Explores in the past 8 months. What was your estimate?

My guesstimate was somewhere around 600. It seems about 3k per week based on VINs and build date, but this was a completely unscientific survey of random VINs I found on Google.

My guesstimate was somewhere around 600. It seems about 3k per week based on VINs and build date, but this was a completely unscientific survey of random VINs I found on Google.

I based mine on the fact that my Limited was a mid November build and was about 6,000 off the line. I just saw some window stickers Sunday, with mid June builds and 99,000 off the line.

wow that's expensive. moonroof but no 20"s or tow package and its 39k?!
and on top of that... the 28mpg is probably with super unleaded.

How do you decipher the codes/dates on the sticker and where are you finding them? Google?

How do you decipher the codes/dates on the sticker and where are you finding them? Google?

The last digits in the VIN # represents the number of units built, this is after the "BGA" and before the small "NB". The build date is on the window sticker too, bottom box below the UPC code, the last string of numbers.

The last digits in the VIN # represents the number of units built, this is after the "BGA" and before the small "NB". The build date is on the window sticker too, bottom box below the UPC code, the last string of numbers.

I find them on Google by searching this: "2012 Ford Explorer" VIN. Make sure 2012 Ford Explorer is in quotes or the Google search will associate 2012 with any Ford vehicle.

To decipher the VIN number, check out the 2011 PDF at this link: Dead Link Removed

It is the same for 2012s, except that instead of "BGA" it will be "CGA." The C indicates MY2012 (B was 2011). Likewise, on Google, when I search the VINs, I make sure it has CGA##### as the last part of the VIN. The C meaning 2012, the G meaning made in Chicago, which all explorers are, and the A##### being a number identifier.

I was browsing window stickers for 2012s to try to get an idea how many they make a day, and came across this window sticker for a 2012 with the Ecoboost engine. The window sticker says 20 City, 28 Hwy.

I hadn't seen any official numbers yet.

http://fordlabels.webview.biz/webviewhybrid/WindowSticker.aspx?vin=1FMHK7D99CGA04294
Some of the window stickers I’ve seen have had about 20 to 28 mpg goofydisneydaddy. All fuel economies will be available on FuelEconomy.gov when they’re officially released. Thanks for the great post on deciphering the VIN as well! :)

Cory

wow that's expensive. moonroof but no 20"s or tow package and its 39k?!
and on top of that... the 28mpg is probably with super unleaded.

Looks like it will get 20-28mpg on 87.......... w00t w00t

Looks like it will get 20-28mpg on 87.......... w00t w00t

Where did you see/hear that it would use regular gasoline? Everything I have seen said it would need premium. Hardly seems worth it to me. It has a combined rating of 23, whereas the normal FWD has a combined rating of 20. So, a 15% increase in fuel economy if my math is correct. Around here, premium is about 12-15% more expensive than regular. Plus you have to pay $900 and change upfront for the weaker engine.

I thought premium too but when i posted on the ford facebook, the ford rep said 28 mpg on regular gas. wonder what real-world mpg will be.

yeah, imo this engine should be a base engine and not a charge but they are trying to milk the ecoboost label and the 'in-thing' is fuel economy even at the cost of hp/tq.

you know when gas was cheaper and big suvs were king, they would never be able to justify a $900 'upgrade' like this.

but hey, i'm feel lucky the v6 is the base. i'm ok with the mileage i'm getting.

Where did you see/hear that it would use regular gasoline? Everything I have seen said it would need premium. Hardly seems worth it to me. It has a combined rating of 23, whereas the normal FWD has a combined rating of 20. So, a 15% increase in fuel economy if my math is correct. Around here, premium is about 12-15% more expensive than regular. Plus you have to pay $900 and change upfront for the weaker engine.

What about the environment? Oil independence?

What about the environment? Oil independence?

Our other car is a prius. :D Though, I have a feeling, the prius will be sitting in the garage for next few road trips while I enjoy our new ride.

But, you are right, those are important things too. And strictly on dollars and sense, the prius is not the most economical purchase, but I do enjoy knowing that I'm doing my part, and I love technology, so the prius is pretty cool from that standpoint. And I'm glad the Ecoboost is an option.

Our other car is a prius. :D Though, I have a feeling, the prius will be sitting in the garage for next few road trips while I enjoy our new ride.

But, you are right, those are important things too. And strictly on dollars and sense, the prius is not the most economical purchase, but I do enjoy knowing that I'm doing my part, and I love technology, so the prius is pretty cool from that standpoint. And I'm glad the Ecoboost is an option.

You do know that the Chevy Leaf is more advanced technology wise don't you?

AND it's made in the states by Americans! :usa:

I can't believe I just recommended a GM product!

You do know that the Chevy Leaf is more advanced technology wise don't you?

AND it's made in the states by Americans! :usa:

I can't believe I just recommended a GM product!

I think you mean the Chevy Volt, which didn't exist in 2007, when I bought my prius. The tech in the Volt is cool, though, no doubt.

And because I don't think politics belong on these forums, just suffice it to say that I will never buy a car from Government Motors. I love this country, but when it abandons the principles that made it the country I love, you can bet I'd rather send my money to Japan. Now, Ford, on the other hand... There's a comeback story that makes you proud to buy American.

I think you mean the Chevy Volt, which didn't exist in 2007, when I bought my prius. The tech in the Volt is cool, though, no doubt.

And because I don't think politics belong on these forums, just suffice it to say that I will never buy a car from Government Motors. I love this country, but when it abandons the principles that made it the country I love, you can bet I'd rather send my money to Japan. Now, Ford, on the other hand... There's a comeback story that makes you proud to buy American.

You are exactly correct - I meant Volt! :(

And I agree with you about government motors - though I would consider a chrysler product now that they have adult leadership, again... ;)

FWIW I currently drive a 10 year old Grand Cherokee with about 130K on it....
The Ex at that time was 1st runner up but my wife was worried about the tire fiasco - this time out she's giving me heat about getting room to haul the grand-critters around - so it comes down to an Ex or a Durango - Right now for my purposes the Ex is ahead and has been for a while - I'm sitting on my hands waiting on a resolution of the MFT (which i desperately want) issues and see what i can get on a 2012....

P.S. she drives a Z4 roadster (although it was built in South Carolina so it almost qualifies as made in America)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Some performance numbers I have found on the internets:

240HP @ 5500rpm

270lb-ft of peak torque @ 3000 rpm

Ford's own PDF on their media site (http://media.ford.com/images/10031/2012_Explorer_Specs.pdf) states 250lb-ft from 1750 rpm. I don't know if the numbers being different is a case of comparing peak torque at a single point vs. the bulk of available torque over a wide range of rpms. If that is true, if geared correctly, this vehicle might have okay performance.

Where are those road tests! lol

As for the extra cost, the engines are being imported from Spain (Valencia I think), so I am sure that doesn't make them any cheaper. I read somewhere that when they get around to making them here in the States that the price should come down.

Back