• Register Today It's free!

Remote Start Question

splash5

Reaction score
City, State
West Fargo ND
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 XLT
i have the ford remote start installed at the dealer (its the extra fob with two buttons that says ford)

ive not paid any attention to it until now but, it starts the engine but it seems like on ac/heat isnt activated until i put the key in the ignition, i live in ND and the only reason i have remote start is so i set the blower to high in the winter so i can start it and it will heat up the car and start the ice melting to make it easier to scrap on a -30F day.

never had a "ford" one before always had astro start but never had a problem like this in the past

anyone else have this problem with theres? was it maybe installed wrong? seems pointless to remote start if it dosnt do temps.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have the ford remote start installed at the dealer (its the extra fob with two buttons that says ford)

ive not paid any attention to it until now but, it starts the engine but it seems like on ac/heat isnt activated until i put the key in the ignition, i live in ND and the only reason i have remote start is so i set the blower to high in the winter so i can start it and it will heat up the car and start the ice melting to make it easier to scrap on a -30F day.

never had a "ford" one before always had astro start but never had a problem like this in the past

anyone else have this problem with theres? was it maybe installed wrong? seems pointless to remote start if it dosnt do temps.

Ford needs to activate something in the system that has it integrate with MyFord Touch. The Dealer should have done it during install. They may have, in which case you should be able to set the climate controls when the vehicle is remote started through the vehicle settings in MFT. I think its on the left pod in the instrument cluster. Have you confirmed that the remote start climate settings are set to Auto in there?

I have an XLT as well and have not had my remote start installed yet, but there are enough Remote Start threads in this Forum if you do a search that cover how it is supposed to work, even for installs done on an XLT.

So you are saying you had the system installed after you purchased the vehicle? That's what I'm going to assume and here is why it doesn't work.

Remote start systems can be added to any vehicle (including manual transmission cars but that's a bad idea). During installation many wires must be taped into to get the vehicle running, including the HVAC. It sounds to me like they didn't provide power to your HVAC system during the remote start operation. It's been many years since I installed one of these and I'm sure there are differances in powering up a MFT system but it's the same basic stuff. I would go back to the dealer and ask how they wired it and why you don't have HVAC power because that's the whole reason for remote start.

So you are saying you had the system installed after you purchased the vehicle? That's what I'm going to assume and here is why it doesn't work.

Remote start systems can be added to any vehicle (including manual transmission cars but that's a bad idea). During installation many wires must be taped into to get the vehicle running, including the HVAC. It sounds to me like they didn't provide power to your HVAC system during the remote start operation. It's been many years since I installed one of these and I'm sure there are differances in powering up a MFT system but it's the same basic stuff. I would go back to the dealer and ask how they wired it and why you don't have HVAC power because that's the whole reason for remote start.

If they got the two way remote start Ford system, there are no wires that should be spliced. It is a plug in module. It just has to be programmed correctly usually, or it may have been and they just need to set it correctly in the MFT settings.

Remote start.

I had the remote start installed after purchase and they replaced my key fobs with a new ones that include the start button. And i now have a menu in the system for remote start that has all of the start options including climate control settings?

Did they install the correct remote start?

they did install the ford one which was to just be a module (not the spliced wire method). and i think it sounds like its a settings that is wrong. (anyone know where the turn on/off feature are in mft?)

also anyone else know what the range of the ford brand one is cos it also seems very sort compared to the astrostrat versions ive had in the past

they did install the ford one which was to just be a module (not the spliced wire method). and i think it sounds like its a settings that is wrong. (anyone know where the turn on/off feature are in mft?)

also anyone else know what the range of the ford brand one is cos it also seems very sort compared to the astrostrat versions ive had in the past

My remote start settings are on the left screen. i think under the vehicle settings menu.

I had remote start installed in my XLT afterwards as well. For the OP, the Ford kit only comes with two new keys (no modules, etc.). My parts guys was quite surprised by this. Turns out everything needed is already installed in the vehicle. All it requires is the keys to be cut and some software updating.

As others have stated, I now also have the Remote Start settings option in my menu.

I had remote start installed in my XLT afterwards as well. For the OP, the Ford kit only comes with two new keys (no modules, etc.). My parts guys was quite surprised by this. Turns out everything needed is already installed in the vehicle. All it requires is the keys to be cut and some software updating.

As others have stated, I now also have the Remote Start settings option in my menu.

That's exactly how mine was.

Back