I bet a new MFT version is being built from the ground up. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I bet a new MFT version is being built from the ground up.

drober30

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Blanc, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited 302A
Ford would not admit to this as we would all want constant details regarding the progress but it only makes since that they understand the severity of the MFT situation so they must have one team working on stability/patches (2.11) for the current build and a new team developing a new version.

The question is will the new version work on the 2011/2012 hardware?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2011/12 SYNC APIM is the same.

Remember its a very short build cycle for the 2012MY

In December (5 months) they start 2013MY for both Ex and Taurus in Chicago.

The real question is whether or not the hardware changes for 2013MY will affect software we get for our 2011/12MY.

2011/12 SYNC APIM is the same.

Remember its a very short build cycle for the 2012MY

In December (5 months) they start 2013MY for both Ex and Taurus in Chicago

Really? I thought they'd let the 2012 year run into July 2012, and start to run the 2013 MY in July/August?

i really doubt anything 3.0 will be downward compatible with our hardware. i mean look how 2.x runs with our hardware. anything new... which usually means with more advanced features... usually means it needs upgraded hw with upgraded specs to handle it. running it on our hardware would be like running ios 3.x sw on my original 2g iphone... slow as a slug.

i really doubt anything 3.0 will be downward compatible with our hardware. i mean look how 2.x runs with our hardware. anything new... which usually means with more advanced features... usually means it needs upgraded hw with upgraded specs to handle it. running it on our hardware would be like running ios 3.x sw on my original 2g iphone... slow as a slug.

The hardware on the explorer MFT is actually very decent. The sluggish, slow responding, etc is a function of bad programming and using the Flash Lite technology for the UI. Given my experiences with Flash Lite vs. Silverlight in our own development projects I would hedge my bets on a Silverlight rewrite making the UI work 150% faster w/ much smoother animations. Flash is buggy, cpu intensive, and full of memory leaks/issues. Most developers don't do the necessary memory management or optimizations that a stable Flash-based system would require.

Just to qualify my above post. The specs from Ford's site on the MFT hardware are as follows

Processor, Memory, and Storage
Freescale i.MX51 SOC
Core CPU: ARM Cortex A8 @ 600 mHz
2D/3D graphics controller
512MB RAM
2GB NAND flash memory

In comparison, the iPhone 3GS runs on the same processor, w/ a similar graphics controller, only it has half the memory (256mb RAM). It is able to do everything our MFT does, only much smoother and more fluently. I don't think that we'll be limited from future OS updates due to hardware requirements. The latest version of Windows 7 Automotive says it supports Freescale processors listing specifically i.MX35 (a step down from our MX51), and 128mb of RAM, we are well past those specs w/ MFT.

Ford would not admit to this as we would all want constant details regarding the progress but it only makes since that they understand the severity of the MFT situation so they must have one team working on stability/patches (2.11) for the current build and a new team developing a new version.

I'm sure that the next revolution of MFT (or whatever they'll call it) is certainly under development. I'm equally sure that such a redesigned version is being designed for some future model, and isn't intended for existing 11/12 models. What current owner can expect is what we've already seen...incremental patches intended to stabilize the systems. No way is there a major redesign in the works for existing models. That's just not going to happen.

The hardware on the explorer MFT is actually very decent. The sluggish, slow responding, etc is a function of bad programming and using the Flash Lite technology for the UI. Given my experiences with Flash Lite vs. Silverlight in our own development projects I would hedge my bets on a Silverlight rewrite making the UI work 150% faster w/ much smoother animations. Flash is buggy, cpu intensive, and full of memory leaks/issues. Most developers don't do the necessary memory management or optimizations that a stable Flash-based system would require.

Exactly why Apple does not support Flash on the iPhone!

Apple does not even bundle Flash with their new computers. You must download it if you want it I believe they made that change about a year ago.

That really speaks allot to the Flash performance!

Just to qualify my above post. The specs from Ford's site on the MFT hardware are as follows

Processor, Memory, and Storage
Freescale i.MX51 SOC
Core CPU: ARM Cortex A8 @ 600 mHz
2D/3D graphics controller
512MB RAM
2GB NAND flash memory

Thanks for posting that! I'd been looking for a while and couldn't find it, and it is somewhat relieving as I was concerned there might be a hardware issue as well. While I don't think they will do a complete re-write, I completely agree with your comments about them moving off Flash, and why they should do so.

Thanks for posting that! I'd been looking for a while and couldn't find it, and it is somewhat relieving as I was concerned there might be a hardware issue as well. While I don't think they will do a complete re-write, I completely agree with your comments about them moving off Flash, and why they should do so.

I found the info by going to http://www.ford.com/technology/sync/myfordtouch
under the Overview section on the left, click on "Tech Specs"

here is the downloadable white paper from ford
http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/...rd/pages/overview/tech_specs/techspecs_v4.pdf

My understanding (don't ask) is that the new software is going to be fully compatible with all existing vehicles and that it should be arriving mid 2012.

My understanding (don't ask) is that the new software is going to be fully compatible with all existing vehicles and that it should be arriving mid 2012.

I'll ask anyway. What new software? Mid 2012 is a year away. That's a tech unicorn as far as I'm concerned. Fifty bucks and a ham sandwich says that nothing of the sort ever materializes.

Where did you get this info at? Seems to be pretty far out in the dev cycle to have any leaks.

Where did you get this info at? Seems to be pretty far out in the dev cycle to have any leaks.

I don't know where this comes from either, but I'd point out that Mulally has mandated that this be fixed, so it could well be that they are doing a complete overhaul with a delivery date of mid 2012 date.

Kind of far out when I want to buy, mind you.

baxterdown - off topic, but I note you have bucket seats and moonroof in your explorer limited. I was thinking of ordering without those two items, and just wanted to get your thoughts as to value for money, usage etc?

I had the same information given to me.

Not another update, a complete new version.

I'll be astonished if this turns out to be true. I don't doubt that you guys have been told this by someone, but I still call BS on its legitimacy. "Don't worry sir, our crack staff is feverishly working on a complete rewrite of the software which will be available for your two year old cars in a mere 12 months!"

Can you say, Duke Nukem Forever?

canned_unicorn_meat_diagram.jpg

There may be something to this. I called the Ford/Lincoln dealer by us, who is also the largest volume dealer, and wanted to get 2.11. The service manager says they were advised that a revised software/hardware combo was being released soon and that I may want to hold off so I can get it all taken care of.

What hardware they would replace I don't know, since as mentioned the specs are pretty good. I guess I will hope they have some idea of what they are talking about. My MFT is running pretty well, but I always like being up to date so I won't be waiting too long.

There may be something to this. I called the Ford/Lincoln dealer by us, who is also the largest volume dealer, and wanted to get 2.11. The service manager says they were advised that a revised software/hardware combo was being released soon and that I may want to hold off so I can get it all taken care of.

Well, that doesn't square at all. Seems to me that "a revised software/hardware combo being released soon" and "a complete overhaul with a delivery date of mid 2012" sound like completely different things. Unless "mid 2012" is considered "soon."

Honestly, I'd not put a nickel's worth of value on anything that a local Ford rep or customer service rep told me. Maybe I'm just old and jaded, but I'm not buying it. Sounds like the sort of stuff people get told just to get them off the phone or out of the dealership.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A complete rewrite probably means they are moving off Flash - good move. Also means they will only do bug fixes they "absolutely" need to on the current verion. Long wait till mid 2012 though :(

Back